Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 07:31 PM

785 posts, read 954,365 times

Advertisements

I've been on and off with this coworker of mine. Things were cool. I saw her after work and she wanted to have dinner. She follows me and we get to the place.

One thing I notice about her is that she always has a drink or two with her meal. So we were talking about an account that I was helping her team with, being the technical operations point of contact for it, and she was talking. I interjected a few times with "yeah" to her. Just something subconscious.

She got upset "Stop saying yeah, it's like you are not listening". I gave her a bit of a smart ass answer and said that we work at the same company and we are talking about the same subject and account. I'm not ignoring you.

Her "You can just go home". "You're not my boyfriend".

This has been one of my issues with her for a while. She comes off as needy/whiny/emotional. She is REALLY into me unfortunately, but I cannot deal with her headcase issues and how she acts. It brings a side of anger that I don't like to show to people.

She has commented on the "yeah" thing before several months ago and that's my way of listening. Just saying guys don't waste your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Is this what we're doing here, now--airing minor annoyances that come up during the day?

Sorry, bro, I don't know what this is supposed to be. Was there a question here?

Old 07-17-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Is this what we're doing here, now--airing minor annoyances that come up during the day?

Sorry, bro, I don't know what this is supposed to be. Was there a question here?
More so advice.

You can tell me was I in the wrong here though?

Old 07-17-2014, 07:36 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Sorry to hear that the evening didn't pan out. I think the unfortunate circumstance here was a combination of (a) her emotional personality and (b) the booze. Unfortunately, she doesn't sound like she can think straight or have a coherent discussion when she's drinking (like the accusations over the "yeah" habit -- talk about making a mountain out of a molehill).

But alcohol, as they say, it's like a truth serum -- kind of. If you try to be objective and analyze her words and behaviour, I think you'll see a whole lot of insecurity there. She feels attached to you, but isn't sure how to deal with it. The fact that she relies on "liquid courage" to deal with you, and then ends up lashing out, does not bode well for her future with you.

I think you should let her go, and leave her to deal with her issues. She sounds like she has a lot of stuff that she needs to work out on her own.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:41 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Maybe the moral of the story is to not date co-workers? Was it a date? Don't go to dinner with people who have headcase issues and act weird? I don't get why you're seeing her, if she tends to blow up on you.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Sorry to hear that the evening didn't pan out. I think the unfortunate circumstance here was a combination of (a) her emotional personality and (b) the booze. Unfortunately, she doesn't sound like she can think straight or have a coherent discussion when she's drinking (like the accusations over the "yeah" habit -- talk about making a mountain out of a molehill).

But alcohol, as they say, it's like a truth serum -- kind of. If you try to be objective and analyze her words and behaviour, I think you'll see a whole lot of insecurity there. She feels attached to you, but isn't sure how to deal with it. The fact that she relies on "liquid courage" to deal with you, and then ends up lashing out, does not bode well for her future with you.

I think you should let her go, and leave her to deal with her issues. She sounds like she has a lot of stuff that she needs to work out on her own.
Yes she does really like me. I really was not ignoring her. I've never dealt with a woman like this before. I told her she has stress or anxiety issues.

I even told her I wasn't ignoring her...I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Maybe the moral of the story is to not date co-workers? Was it a date? Don't go to dinner with people who have headcase issues and act weird? I don't get why you're seeing her, if she tends to blow up on you.
Casual dinner but she has feelings for me that are very strong and we were working things out.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:52 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Why are the women folk always getting mad at you?

Old 07-17-2014, 07:53 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
I even told her I wasn't ignoring her...I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong.
Maybe she's used to someone who is the type to display more "active listening" skills?

Old 07-17-2014, 07:57 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Maybe she's used to someone who is the type to display more "active listening" skills?
This sounds insane, but actually try looking up "active listening" on the Net to get some advice on this (it's like a thing in business speak nowadays). You can find tips on "active listening" like asking open-ended questions ("How does that make you feel?" or "What did you think about that?")

This could be a new dating strategy, if you decide to see this girl again. Let us know if it works.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:59 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Be a better listener and a better friend.

Men are from Mars; women are from Venus. Communication styles are different. It's not always a character flaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships