Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 06:24 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,303,568 times

Advertisements

Guys, would you feel comfortable moving into a house with the woman you are dating (that she owns) and feel comfortable paying her rent?

Edited: Would you feel comfortable living with her and not paying any expenses?

Last edited by findly185; 07-23-2014 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 07:19 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,581,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Guys, would you feel comfortable moving into a house with the woman you are dating (that she owns) and feel comfortable paying her rent?
Well if she owns it then she isnt paying rent. That's called a mortgage.

As for the question?.....If it were me I'd help out will all the household expenses and offer to pay half of everything. Obviously she was managing prior to you moving in therefore any help would and should be appreciated.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:19 AM

189 posts, read 262,588 times
I would not feel comfortable living there not paying my expenses.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:21 AM

320 posts, read 539,300 times
I could see the gf's side of the issue and why she might ask or hint at such a thing. But...I personally would not see the value of paying rent in order to live with my gf in a house that she owns. I'm not saying that anybody who would is wrong. It's just that if I'm going to pay rent I'd like to be able to feel as if I have some sort of ownership (couldn't think of a better term) of my living space and not be subject to the whims of my gf. I just couldn't see putting myself in a position where I'm investing resources into a place in which I ultimately have zero control of my environment should things get rocky. I'd prefer to have my own place.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:29 AM

217 posts, read 314,363 times
I would if she added me to the title for the house. That would show how serious she is, or if she's just needing help paying down her mortgage.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:33 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
We would pay rent. I would not freeload.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:34 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post

Edited: Would you feel comfortable living with her and not paying any expenses?

If you live in the home you should be paying for 1/2 of everything related to said home in my opinion.
I can tell you though if it were me and I owned my home and did not have a mortage there is no way I would add you or anyone else to the deed.
If she has a mortage I would be happy to put your name on the mortage so you can be legally and financially responsible if you think you need your name added to the deed.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:35 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,805,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToraG View Post
I would if she added me to the title for the house. That would show how serious she is, or if she's just needing help paying down her mortgage.
I am a woman, so I know the question isn't really for me (although if it was reversed, I would pay my half of the expenses).

I am assuming you are talking about being added to the mortgage title. I would be wary of that. At best, yes you do have some claim on the house... but you are also now legally responsible for mortgage payments. If you girlfriend decides to not pay, guess who the bank comes after?

The other problem is on her end, what if she's owned the house for a while? How do you figure out her equity? I have about $120k in equity in my home right now. If someone moved in with me and I added him to the title, that would be like giving that person $60k of my investments. That's a lot of money for a mere boyfriend.

It's an interesting question really. Because if you help her pay her mortgage, in a lot of ways you are helping her make investments you might not benefit from. I think this is a case where a legal, "living together" contract would be good. Put in a stipulation that when the house sells, you get a percentage back from her that is equivalent to what you "invested" in the property. Don't expect it to be too much if she owes a lot on her mortgage though... most of a mortgage payment is interest early on. Not much principle.

This is why I don't want to live with anyone, lol. Too complicated

Old 07-23-2014, 07:37 AM

217 posts, read 314,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I am a woman, so I know the question isn't really for me (although if it was reversed, I would pay my half of the expenses).

I am assuming you are talking about being added to the mortgage title. I would be wary of that. At best, yes you do have some claim on the house... but you are also now legally responsible for mortgage payments. If you girlfriend decides to not pay, guess who the bank comes after?

The other problem is on her end, what if she's owned the house for a while? How do you figure out her equity? I have about $120k in equity in my home right now. If someone moved in with me and I added him to the title, that would be like giving that person $60k of my investments. That's a lot of money for a mere boyfriend.
based on what you just stated it's a fairly equal risk on both sides.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:37 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,000 times
No. She has a job and I'm not living with her. She can pay her own rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships