Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 06:49 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times

Advertisements

My parents were married and had my older brother while my mother was still in high school and of course had to drop out. They started and built a tremendously successful multi million dollar corporation together side by side from nothing. After she had her third child she decided to go back and finish high school and then got a college degree. While very successful, my father never went past high school, yet he was very, very pro college education for us kids.

While my mother returned to school, he made it so awfully difficult for her while she went. She went to night school, yet we never went without a meal or clean clothes or a clean house. I don't recall that her absence at school really made a difference, yet he was such an A-Hole about it and made it so difficult on her and picked outrageous fights with her about it. He was extremely insecure about it as I believe because she had been dependent on him since she was 16.

While a skirt chaser all his life, he increased his girlfriend herd 10 fold while she went to school. When he was suppose to take one of us children somewhere while she had class he'd never show up and would be with one of his girlfriends. He not only stuck it to her - he did it to us kids and then blamed her for the time she was going to school. It was awful.

She became a legal secretary and then went to work for an attorney. It was then, after 23 years they got divorced, not by her request, but his. So, it wasn't the degree to her which changed things, it was the degree to him which changed things.

I'm not saying all men are like this, but he was an insecure man and her being formally educated was the final nail in the coffin in their marriage.

After I finished college, I went to work for my father, but was firm it would only be for two years. If I heard it once, I heard it a hundred times a day, "We know your college educated, but....." always very snarly. For someone so hell bent on everyone getting a degree he never got one himself and was always snide about it with all the rest of us. He did not pay for anyone's college education, including my mother's.

I happened to come across an article this morning which discusses the same thing.

"Wives With More Education Than Their Husbands Aren't Doomed To Divorce After All"

Wives With More Education Than Their Husbands Aren't Doomed To Divorce After All
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 06:51 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,303,568 times
Good to know that masters I just graduated with in May isn't going to doom my chances with men.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:53 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Good to know that masters I just graduated with in May isn't going to doom my chances with men.
You go girl!

I do think there has been a huge shift in the way women are viewed in having a formal education than when my parents were married. I am college educated and I never met a man who didn't think it shouldn't be a given that all women be formally educated.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:59 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Thank God my father didn't think like this. My mother had two masters (she's now 75 so that tells you the era) and my father only one.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:06 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
My parents were married and had my older brother while my mother was still in high school and of course had to drop out. They started and built a tremendously successful multi million dollar corporation together side by side from nothing. After she had her third child she decided to go back and finish high school and then got a college degree. While very successful, my father never went past high school, yet he was very, very pro college education for us kids.

While my mother returned to school, he made it so awfully difficult for her while she went. She went to night school, yet we never went without a meal or clean clothes or a clean house. I don't recall that her absence at school really made a difference, yet he was such an A-Hole about it and made it so difficult on her and picked outrageous fights with her about it. He was extremely insecure about it as I believe because she had been dependent on him since she was 16.

While a skirt chaser all his life, he increased his girlfriend herd 10 fold while she went to school. When he was suppose to take one of us children somewhere while she had class he'd never show up and would be with one of his girlfriends. He not only stuck it to her - he did it to us kids and then blamed her for the time she was going to school. It was awful.

She became a legal secretary and then went to work for an attorney. It was then, after 23 years they got divorced, not by her request, but his. So, it wasn't the degree to her which changed things, it was the degree to him which changed things.

I'm not saying all men are like this, but he was an insecure man and her being formally educated was the final nail in the coffin in their marriage.

After I finished college, I went to work for my father, but was firm it would only be for two years. If I heard it once, I heard it a hundred times a day, "We know your college educated, but....." always very snarly. For someone so hell bent on everyone getting a degree he never got one himself and was always snide about it with all the rest of us. He did not pay for anyone's college education, including my mother's.

I happened to come across an article this morning which discusses the same thing.

"Wives With More Education Than Their Husbands Aren't Doomed To Divorce After All"

Wives With More Education Than Their Husbands Aren't Doomed To Divorce After All
Yikes. That's pretty terrible. I feel like times have changed a lot though - I date mostly guys who don't have college degrees, and they tend to be very proud of the fact that I graduated from a very respected school. The one guy who was intimidated was pretty much a loser with no self-esteem - ironically, he was also a highly skilled carpenter with more earning power (worked on very high-end projects) than any of the other guys I'd dated if he would only have put in a little effort.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:03 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
There are still plenty of men who are intimidated by a woman who makes more money or has more education than them. But there's a flip side to that, which is women who make a lot of money and have a lot of education that look down on men who don't make as much or are less educated. Online, I'll frequently see profiles by women who have graduate degrees who will not consider men that only have a 4-year undergraduate degree. Last week, I met a friend of a friend who's a doctor. But not just any doctor. An anesthesiologist, which means she'll make even more money than most doctors. Because of that, she refuses to date doctors who earn less, like a pediatrician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships