Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:04 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
Why is that a red flag? Is never leaving their country a complete deal breaker for you? Esp countries the size of US and Canada. The culture in throughout is mostly the same, but there's a lot of amazing places there alone.

I've found it doesn't seem matter at all, so long as they're curious and open about how others live..
Thank you.

That way of thinking is just different than mine. Why would I even care that much if they've not traveled outside of the country in the last 10 years, as long as they want to now while I'm with them? I tend to think that it shows that they don't really like that person all that much if they can't get beyond that and think forward. Sometimes people just find mundane excuses to dismiss people that they actually don't like all that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 08:18 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
Why is that a red flag? Is never leaving their country a complete deal breaker for you? Esp countries the size of US and Canada. The culture in throughout is mostly the same, but there's a lot of amazing places there alone.

I've found it doesn't seem matter at all, so long as they're curious and open about how others live..

We wouldn't be compatible for a LTR no. I can't imagine connecting with someone like that, so non curious about the world. The U.S. is great, but it is rather homogenous culturally. Some great different landscapes.

Almost everyone I've dated long term travels overseas a fair amount, several did Peace Corp, many others lived overseas for a period of their life. I just don't "get" people that don't want to see the world. I supposed we could date but I'm saying "see ya" for several weeks a year. This fall I'm hitting Borneo, last year it was the Peruvian Amazon. I have at least fifteen more places I must get to. Then some places to revisit like Costa Rica and Cambodia. Seeing the world is incredibly important. Most people that I meet that have no interest in travel generally aren't that much fun anyway. They're rather sedate and lead somewhat mellow lives. Just not something I'm interested in doing, nor compatible with. Each to their own. Some types of travel I don't connect with either, such as going to an island and sitting on a beach or staying at a resort.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:29 PM

957 posts, read 1,060,564 times
That's reason enough I suppose. Just a different wavelength than me.

I've seen a lot of places, while interesting it wasn't some life changing epiphany for me. I've dated a lot of foreign women and have tons of friends from other countries. In Lethbridge and Calgary where I grew up there was always tons of people from Europe and Asia. I would happily visit their home country with them, and would like them to visit my family in Canada.. But I'm perfectly happy with a boring life in the rockies anymore.

Maybe a ski trip once or twice a year to the alps or Alaska, but I could care less about doing the tourist crap.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:01 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Damn... those potato ball things sound great... Mrs. Chow and I are major foodies and are always on the lookout for a good new recipe to try....

They are excellent. There's a Cuban bakery called Portos and you can get them there as well as the pastries I
mentioned. They have locations in Glendale, Burbank and I believe Industry. If you go to the Glendale store and you like a great steak.. There's a teeny hole in the wall place called Damon's that's just a few doors north on the same side of the street. The steaks are great and they come with a baked potato, garlic toast and best of all.. A salad that's to die for! I don't know what's in the dressing, but it's outstanding! They don't take reservations, so be prepared to wait for a while as it's always packed at the dinner hour. Luckily they have a bar if one is so inclined.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
This has happened to me several times. I travel frequently internationally on business, and have accumulated frequent-flier miles for awards-tickets. After some number of dates, I would ask: "You've mentioned several times your interest in going to Europe. In two months, I have a business-trip to country XYZ. And I have the miles for get you a free ticket. Would you be interested"? Typically, the response is, "that sounds great, but I don't have a passport. And besides, I could not request sufficient time off from work". Quite possibly this is a polite excuse for not being interested in me, but what if it is literally true?
In this case, I'd say it was an excuse (especially the passport part). They were too quick to dismiss it without even trying.

At the very least, she should have indicated a desire to go with you.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. Are you on a list for a transplant?
nope, i would be rejected immediately right now for being too heavy. fortunately sinc ei have been on dialysis, i have lost over 150lbs, mostly water weight, but i still have a ways to go and it gets harder from here.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
nope, i would be rejected immediately right now for being too heavy. fortunately sinc ei have been on dialysis, i have lost over 150lbs, mostly water weight, but i still have a ways to go and it gets harder from here.
Well, best of luck to you. It must be really difficult.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:11 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I've seen people comment here that online dating is full of people who like to travel (which is my observation also). I agree that some profiles probably say that to impress with their exciting lives, income, or such, and maybe some exaggerate. However, after some pondering, I think the main reason is the nature of people who like to travel. They probably are more outgoing and novelty-seeking and more prone to relocating or taking travel-heavy jobs than other people (on average). The personality traits might destabilize relationships; the latter definitely causes problems in finding or maintaining relationships. I'm not a traveler myself, and I will leave it up to others to confirm or refute the above.
Yes. People who are adventure seeking and love to explore may have a harder time settling even if that's what they want they also want someone who enjoys the same as they do, and difficult to meet those in passing whom they can share quality time spent together on a consistent (committed) basis.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:33 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
I hate to travel alone. Vacation romance, vacation sex...these are the spice of life, events you never forget.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I hate to travel alone.
This is a big one for me. (trying to get over that)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships