Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 10:17 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times

Advertisements

This came up in another thread, and I thought it might make an interesting general topic. For example, a lot of men are attracted to plump women, and a lot of younger men are attracted to older women.

I am not sure what the hetero female equivalents are... attraction to gentle, Dr-Huxtable-sweater-wearing men? Or blue collar guys if you are a professional?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 PM

346 posts, read 351,934 times
I would be hesitant to date a black girl because of my racist dad. My mom would accept anyone of any race, but she lives 1000 miles away so anyone I date would meet my dad first.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:50 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
I think an equivalent for a woman may be a short man, specifically, shorter than her.

I dated a man several inches shorter than me. It did give me pause and at times I admit to feeling awkward & avoiding high heels, but nobody else thought it was weird. My friends & family really liked him & thought he was cute, so I got no flak for it.

I briefly dated this super, super skinny, very awkward, nerdy looking guy (but he had a cute face) and I admit I felt a little embarrassed once when I ran into some people I knew when with him. I thought I felt like it looked like that was the best I could manage. That was lame of me, but it happened. Part of it was that I don't like to be open about who I am dating until its semi-serious, so the whole thing was weird for me.

My other, more recent ex was not conventionally attractive, but very well groomed. He too was short & skinny & had a receding hairline & was kind of goofy in his features. He just really was not my taste either - he was Mexican and I preferred lighter looks. People didn't have trouble seeing what I saw in him, although they would tell me they didn't think he was very good-looking, but definitely well dressed. I was not embarrassed, but I did have a sense of him not being quite what I would normally be into; he actually expressed the same to me, which I found hurtful and it made me re-examine my attitudes. I learned that when you really like someone, they alter your taste. They become your taste, or they broaden it to include their look. So after some time, I no longer saw him as some exception, but instead a revelation of what I actually find attractive outside of fantasies & ideals.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:56 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Nope. I never gave it any thought. A couple of my friends have told me that one or more of the guys that I dated were not attractive - but I didn't care at all. In one case - my friend knew that I had body image issues and thought I was dating a couple of these guys because I thought I couldn't do any better - but they were awesome guys and I was really attracted to them. The other instance was one of my friends telling me that she didn't think that my ex-fiance was hot - even though everyone else did. But like I said - I've never cared whether or not my friends or family thought that the person I was dating was attractive.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:04 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Yes, when it was one of my mother's friends.

That's why we didn't tell her of our little arrangement. My mother would have killed or disowned both of us.

I shoot first and ask questions later in this department. I don't care what anybody thinks.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:06 PM

326 posts, read 478,587 times
I got made fun for having a fat girlfriend back in 8th grade by my brother and another friend. So, I am a little mindful of what my family and friends would think.

Nowadays, I would like a girlfriend with a little meat in all the right areas, given that they would be open to dating a military guy.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:34 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
No.

I wanna nail who I wanna nail.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:36 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
I don't see why other people's opinion would be relevant.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:38 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Does being gay count?

Old 07-29-2014, 11:41 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Does being gay count?
Do you mean being straight and attracted to a homosexual?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships