Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 02:55 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times

Advertisements

OP shows as Not a member So how come this thread running?

Last edited by Zeurich; 08-29-2014 at 02:56 AM.. Reason: missing words!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 12:42 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Agreed. Even if there is attraction between them, the cultural differences are going to be too much.

From what I see just of the pictures of marriages - the guys that do it are not just below average, they are WAY below average creeper types or extremely shy, and the girls way out of their league. I can't imagine such a marriage lasts long once she starts to feel comfortable in the U.S.
It's not the cultural differences, in my opinion. From what I've seen, it's that these guys are extremely naive and bring the girls back without getting to know them. They should be taking YEARS to find a decent girl and need to spend a significant portion of those years in that particular country. Most of those guys don't do that and have a romanticized view of these women.

With that said, I do think that it's possible for this to work and have seen it work, but the guys that made it work are more intelligent and probably could have gotten a girl in the US if they put effort into it.

This route is actually an option that I'm considering if I don't find a girl in the US in the next few years.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:39 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
You could just try changing your OKCupid profile location to whatever international locale you're interested in.

I set mine to Vietnam for a couple weeks, and I had cute Vietnamese girls messaging me every day. They were real girls too; I skyped with some of them. I never got hit up for money. Most of them just said "Hi, I am [Asian name], I like [whatever]." Some of them seemed to just want to practice English, but others starting asking when I was going to come visit. They really do seem to think most American men can afford trans-Pacific flights on a regular basis without inconvenience.

I'm not desperate enough to plunk down big bucks to fly back and forth to Vietnam, but it was an ego boost to get that level of attention from OLD for 2 weeks.
Interesting, and relevant, to OP the direction this thread is going. Being a matter of interest to all curious guys who have at least considered overseas matchmaking, I believe.

Glad a FSU lady or two chimed in, as well. Do you have single friends?

Not sure if meeting a Vietnamese woman in her home country counts as "desperate," may take exception with you there. No more so than traveling to FSU, which isn't that big a deal (or wasn't, until armor rolled into Ukraine both recently and earlier 2014). Let's put it this way: believe me, the adventure aspect makes it quite fun. I don't mind being uncomfortable, and definitely don't come unglued when stuff doesn't fit to my travel plans to-the-minute. Of course, that assumes a man isn't afraid of being out of his comfort zone. And has means to travel: was curious, so pinged flights from my home, SEA, to Hanoi in mid-October. Most came in at 19 to 20 hrs travel time, about a thousand bucks. I guess to some that exceeds their yearly travel budget in airfare alone. Rest of us, that's about par for the course to get to Oahu from the mainland couple times/year, so what difference does it make to go further?

One of the top "rules" of the oversea dating thing is if you can't handle the cost, don't even start. My buddy made about a dozen round trips in about three years before bringing one back, from SEA to Kiev, Moscow, Ufa, and other places. That's a big chunk of money, and vacation time. Worth it for him. I like his wife, and hope they're successful over the long term. I admire the sacrifices they've both made, actually.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:50 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
you can try badoo.com

However, idk if its really for overseas dating as much as it is just like an online dating site used by people around the world.

Internet dating just doesn't seem like a good idea... maybe just look for some Russian women in the US?

I do have to tell you though, this myth about women from other countries being WAY different is extremely stupid. Women are the same, no matter the nationality.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:31 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
you can try badoo.com

However, idk if its really for overseas dating as much as it is just like an online dating site used by people around the world.

Internet dating just doesn't seem like a good idea... maybe just look for some Russian women in the US?

I do have to tell you though, this myth about women from other countries being WAY different is extremely stupid. Women are the same, no matter the nationality.
I agree that women, in general, are the same, but their values and upbringing can be a bit different based on their culture.

Also, in my experience, I do WAY better with women outside of the US. This definitely varies from person to person though. I took my most recent trip to Asia last month with a friend of mine. We had very different experiences. Women were very interested in me, sometimes getting noticeably flustered around me. When I cold approached on the street, some of the women damn near crapped themselves lol. And this was in the city, not rural countryside. My friend did okay, but got nowhere near the responses that I got.

This is in contrast to my experiences in the US, where I'm pretty much invisible unless I'm chasing girls full time lol.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:39 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
It's not the cultural differences, in my opinion. From what I've seen, it's that these guys are extremely naive and bring the girls back without getting to know them. They should be taking YEARS to find a decent girl and need to spend a significant portion of those years in that particular country. Most of those guys don't do that and have a romanticized view of these women.

With that said, I do think that it's possible for this to work and have seen it work, but the guys that made it work are more intelligent and probably could have gotten a girl in the US if they put effort into it.

This route is actually an option that I'm considering if I don't find a girl in the US in the next few years.
Yes.

It never works unless you live in the target country fulltime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships