Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who pays on the first date?
Go Dutch! 27 29.03%
The man always pays 29 31.18%
The woman always pays 1 1.08%
The person that initiates the date always pays 36 38.71%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 02:26 PM

36,537 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
I think the 2nd date is the date that whoever does the asking pays for in full. Up until then, the dates should be pretty low key/low cost/mutually split. That way both parties have a vested interest.

Now, if you already know the person fairly well (you've met a few times), THEN AND ONLY THEN do I think it's appropriate for the "asker" to pay for the first date.

That sounds reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 02:27 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
What I'm wondering is: if it's a going-Dutch situation, how and when do you announce that to the invitee? Is there a rule of etiquette to cover that? Often, women will offer to pay their share on the first date anyway, especially if it's just a coffee meet-and-greet, or a lunch or movie. Something inexpensive.

I think we should all nudge the cultural norm in the direction of Dutch first dates. And 2nd dates, unless one of the parties insists on paying.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:29 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It sounds like he has worked out well what he expects to spend and do (and isn't complaining about having to pay all the time). Now I'd probably be ready for a dinner date at some point early on, as I that is what I like to do for fun. But isn't Dissenter in his early 20s? That feels par for the course for that age.
He's certainly allowed to do whatever he wants, but I've gone out with guys in their early 20s who paid for dates that cost more than $10. If his stance is ok with the women he dates, it's no problem. I'm not suggesting that anyone should have to do something they don't want to just to follow norms or please a date, but I think we all know that doing or not doing certain things may put us at a disadvantage.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:31 PM

898 posts, read 937,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What I'm wondering is: if it's a going-Dutch situation, how and when do you announce that to the invitee? Is there a rule of etiquette to cover that? Often, women will offer to pay their share on the first date anyway, especially if it's just a coffee meet-and-greet, or a lunch or movie. Something inexpensive.

I think we should all nudge the cultural norm in the direction of Dutch first dates. And 2nd dates, unless one of the parties insists on paying.
It says it all in your name: Truth!

The announcement part is the sticky part. But yeah, I'd say that women should offer to pay. And then they shouldn't be shocked or taken aback if they guy accepts the offer. Start the "being shocked" process if he doesn't ask you out again.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
but I think we all know that doing or not doing certain things may put us at a disadvantage.
But it shouldn't and that's the point. Women who might typically get offended by it (but who are open to new ways of doing things) should get over it; that's what I'm suggesting. And women who can only be turned up by the idea of a guy who pays for everything should continue dating guys who pay for everything.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:45 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone who has participated in this thread so far. Thanks for keeping it civil. It shows a lot of maturity across the board, among all parties.

And a shoutout to my friend Dewdroplet76. We're 13 pages deep into a good, civil discussion and the thread is still open. We did it, boy!

Love you guys, keep it real!

Old 07-30-2014, 03:12 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
If a girl did not offer, I would indeed feel that she thought she was entitled to me paying for her food/drinks/what have you. It would probably be a pretty big turn off to me, because I'm not looking for a "gold digger" if you will. I'm looking for a partner. She'll get the perks once she's shown that she is worth. And I agree that she should feel that way as well (as far as sleeping together, etc.).
Just because a woman wants to be treated like a lady does not mean she's a "gold digger"

I'm starting to understand why you don't get many dates

Perhaps things you've learned here will help you going forward!

Old 07-30-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Just because a woman wants to be treated like a lady does not mean she's a "gold digger"

I'm starting to understand why you don't get many dates

Perhaps things you've learned here will help you going forward!
That's insulting and is not indicative of my dating life (where did you get that impression btw?). And you should read through the rest of the thread. Some good points/compromises were made.

Last edited by 4DM1N; 07-30-2014 at 03:30 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
That's insulting and is not indicative of my dating life (where did you get that impression btw?). And you should read through the rest of the thread. Some good points/compromises were made.
Not intended to be insulting, was only responding to what you wrote

"If a girl did not offer, I would indeed feel that she thought she was entitled to me paying for her food/drinks/what have you. I

t would probably be a pretty big turn off to me, because I'm not looking for a "gold digger" if you will.

I'm looking for a partner. She'll get the perks once she's shown that she is worth."

This kind of attitude is indeed why you may not be dating much - I was pointing that out.

Glad if you feel you've learned some things on this thread that will help you compromise a bit on this attitude

Old 07-30-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Oh, and I got "that impression" by what you wrote on your other thread...

"...I honestly have lost faith in my ability to find a lasting partner"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships