Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who pays on the first date?
Go Dutch! 27 29.03%
The man always pays 29 31.18%
The woman always pays 1 1.08%
The person that initiates the date always pays 36 38.71%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 11:13 AM

898 posts, read 937,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Since I usually meet guys online, I understand that I'm a stranger to them and they might have multiple dates that week...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
When you're financially stable, $20 isn't a big deal.
Exactly. But then see above. $20 on you. $20 on the girl tomorrow. $20 on the girl the day after that. $20/ea on the two girls you're supposed to take out the upcoming weekend. See a pattern?

It's easy to talk about how doable it is when it's not your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

346 posts, read 351,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I am confused... I always offer to go Dutch (and am prepared to pay the whole thing if that ever happens). So he would never get the chance to write me off for not offering.

I wouldn't write a man off because he accepted my offer of going Dutch (like I said it hasn't happened yet). But I would probably feel a little differently--like maybe he wasn't all that interested and I would probably assume he wouldn't want a second date. But I wouldn't turn one down a second date if I liked him.

There's nothing to be confused about. His question was clear cut.

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
I get it, and I sort of have the same thoughts (as in I'm showing interest in her by paying).

If this were any other type of topic, you'd probably get a fair amount coming on here blasting this as "a sense of entitlement".

It's just funny how that mentality doesn't cross over into relationships.
Yeah, it's a hard one. I can see where people might say it's a sense of entitlement. But it's really just being used to something. I think if more men had taken me up on my offer to go Dutch, it wouldn't bother me. But at this point, since NO MAN has taken me up on that offer and all of those men have asked me out again, the first one who does will stand out and I will probably think he took me up on the offer to cut his losses because he's not interested. But again, it doesn't affect my opinion of him, but it effects what I think his opinion of me is (if that makes sense).

Old 07-30-2014, 11:14 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
If the woman asks the man out, she pays. If the man asks the woman out, he pays. Simple as that.

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
Quote:
I am confused... I always offer to go Dutch (and am prepared to pay the whole thing if that ever happens). So he would never get the chance to write me off for not offering.

I wouldn't write a man off because he accepted my offer of going Dutch (like I said it hasn't happened yet). But I would probably feel a little differently--like maybe he wasn't all that interested and I would probably assume he wouldn't want a second date. But I wouldn't turn one down a second date if I liked him.
Okay, so would you understand men feeling differently/assuming she didn't want a second date if she didn't offer?

898 posts, read 937,877 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's a hard one. I can see where people might say it's a sense of entitlement. But it's really just being used to something. I think if more men had taken me up on my offer to go Dutch, it wouldn't bother me. But at this point, since NO MAN has taken me up on that offer and all of those men have asked me out again, the first one who does will stand out and I will probably think he took me up on the offer to cut his losses because he's not interested. But again, it doesn't affect my opinion of him, but it effects what I think his opinion of me is (if that makes sense).
Fair enough. That makes sense to me.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:17 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
$3.50 per gallon of gas is still cheaper than a gallon of milk, right? That's how that argument goes usually. But you're not buying a gallon of gas. You're usually buying 15+ gallons of gas.

What? Dude, if $20 makes a difference to you when going out in an evening, you might not be in a place to date. Seriously. Get your finances in order.

346 posts, read 351,934 times
A lot of guys who are successful in dating don't spend any money until exclusivity.

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig In View Post
There's nothing to be confused about. His question was clear cut.
How is it clear cut... he said, "Would you be understanding if he wrote you off for not offering?" I ALWAYS offer to go Dutch and I spelled that out in my post (and am prepared to pay the whole thing--just in case). Is he asking if I suddenly changed the way I acted and stopped offering to go Dutch? I can assure you, that's not going to happen. Even when I dated a man who never let me pay for anything, I always offered (even though I knew he would say no).

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Exactly. But then see above. $20 on you. $20 on the girl tomorrow. $20 on the girl the day after that. $20/ea on the two girls you're supposed to take out the upcoming weekend. See a pattern?

It's easy to talk about how doable it is when it's not your money.
If I were in his position, I wouldn't be seeing that many women anyway but if I were, I'd still pay for the ones I really liked.

So I stand by what I said previously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships