Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 12:05 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,148 times

Advertisements

This might be kinda long, so here is the ultimate question: Would you consider starting a relationship with someone who was potentially moving in 2 months?

The situation: I posted on here a few months ago about a guy who ended up being nuts. I slept with him too soon, he told me he loved me after a week. Etc. It was a mess. Right after that ended I met this new guy unexpectedly. He and I hit it off, have been seeing each other 2-3 times per week for 6 weeks now. Have NOT slept together, taking it slow. We both really like each other and have established this. Last night we got into a deep conversation where he admitted that right before he met me he had applied for a company transfer to their Florida location (we're in NY). He told me he didn't know what to do because he didn't expect this to happen between us. He should know if he got the transfer by this Friday, and if he did he would be moving in October. He was planning on waiting until after he found out to tell me because he didn't want to have to bring it up if it wasn't going to happen, but I guess it was just eating away at him keeping it in. Obviously I'm going to wait and see if he got his transfer, but honestly I don't see why he wouldn't. He's a great employee and has been with them for a few years now.

I'm torn about how to handle this from there. He's a really sincere guy and said that he felt like total crap about it and wouldn't blame me if I wanted nothing to do with him after he said that. But that's not how I operate really. My instinct would be to see where it goes over the next two months and see where we're at when it comes to be time for him to move. I know that 3 and a half months of dating isn't a long time and it might be difficult to establish something meaningful in that length of time, but we both expressed that we haven't felt this way about someone in some time. The other thing is I just moved to my current city in May, and I only have a required 9 more months here. So reasonably if we did work out we could do 6 months long distance or something, but I feel kinda crazy even thinking about that since this whole thing is just starting still. But my point is that with my job it's not unreasonable at all for me to move to Florida when I'm done with my commitment here.

Is my thinking just totally off base here? I know it would be EASIER to just end things now, but what good does it do me to always play it safe and never take risks in life?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 12:14 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,235,850 times
I dont think you have anything to lose in seeing how it goes from here. He could end up being the man you spend the rest of your life with. Or not. You won't know if you don't try.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:14 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times
Yeah, do it, but only if you're ready for HIM to not want to continue after he moves. He might even meet someone else there.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
i dated someone for 8 months, we broke up only because she went back to jamaica, and i came back to az. we tried the long distance relationship for a while, but we both knew when i took her to the airport that is was over, and we parted amicably. take a wait and see attitude here, he may not get the transfer, and if he does, and you can move to where he is later on, then work it out. if things dont work out, be ready for that as well so the "break up" goes easily.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:31 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,148 times
The way I see it there are so many things that are uncertain in life as it is. For all I know I could be hit by a bus on my way home tonight, ya know? It just seems like I would be selling myself short to end something that seems like it has potential because of this.

I think what I'm going to do is wait and see if he got his transfer, and if he does we'll have to have a serious talk. I'm willing to give it a shot if we're in a committed relationship with potential, but not as just a casual thing leading up to when he leaves.

I've done the long distance thing before actually. Same sort of situation. Guy I went to high school with, started seeing him 3 weeks before I left for college. We ended up dating long distance all four years and then living together for two years after college before breaking up. So this isn't entirely new to me. It's just new as an adult in a strange city with someone I haven't known for long who is moving to a place that I have no real ties to. lol.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:00 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,151,806 times
Just out of curiosity, what was his reason for applying for the transfer? Is he unhappy where he is living now? Does he want to live in Florida in particular? If he doesn't get the transfer, will he be looking for other jobs in Florida?

Old 07-30-2014, 03:03 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,620,523 times
I wouldn't. In fact, I tell people I'm moving in hopes they get the hint that I'm not interested (I am looking for jobs so I can relocate). I'm unhappy where I am currently.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:08 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,107 times
Speaking from experience, no. Long distance relationships can be complicated and a person's mind can go crazy wondering what the other is doing.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:14 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Don't. Just don't. It is just the ultimate recipe for inevitable heartbreak.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:40 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,947,750 times
Default Dating someone who is moving away

That's the best kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships