Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 11:21 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotocatmom View Post
I disagree. I'm a former model, compete in pageants, and I get a lot of attention in person. Online? Nope. I get messages from shady older men that are 30 years my senior, and guys who clearly just want to hook up. Even though I receive messages, if I send out messages, maybe one or two guys will respond. I even had someone accuse me of being a fake profile lol. It's not any easier. Plus, all I get is references to my looks and no one mentions my write up or asks me any questions about myself (or cares). I ended up taking my photos down and have a private album that I only reveal to favorites.
That's what happened to me. I only get contacted by very old dudes or early 20's. The guys around my age only message me when they are super unattractive or have 4 kids with 5 women or any other serious red flag. Seems like there are no good guys from age 35-45.

But it's the same in the outside world. I get hit on constantly by old dudes in the stores or young guys whistle out of their cars. If I cold approach a nice guy my age, he either just stares at me or acts very cold and tries to get away.

Most guys I contact online don't even respond. Or respond and act super weird.

I have given up and focus on myself for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 11:25 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
You hit the nail on the head with the Nigerian money-wiring scam... at least, I saw a lot of that online. Before I wised up to it, I would reply to "widowed men" whose kids didn't live with them (if you look at the profile). Soon, they'd give you a sob story about wanting to get their kids back and they needed money to get them back from overseas and I recognized it as a typical 419 scam. I never fell for it, but enough people do that these scams keep going on. I can't tell you how the ones with pretty women work, but my guess is it's similar.

There is also catfishing... of varying degrees. But that's kind of between scam and lying, depending on the degree of it.
I noticed it was almost always widowers and also military. If there was a person in military I would ask them their rank (common thing military know)and they could never answer. They also disappeared when I asked them for their number. I had no intention of calling but I knew it was a scam.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:27 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
I'd definitely give it more than a day. I sent out a lot of messages. If I saw a profile I liked and there was some compatibility, I sent a message. Sometimes they were in depth and other times cheeky, witty and concise. I didn't respond to all of the messages, especially the non-messages, but I did respond to those who expressed genuine interest.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
no cats? They usually have cats.
Not sure, I stopped talking to him years ago.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:31 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
I've seen a lot of people, often men, mention the scammers. I know my husband received those types of messages on occasion. I don't recall ever receiving one of those. What is their M.O.?

Old 07-31-2014, 11:34 AM

The purpose of scammers is to make money. There are usually some signs, like they are in another country working, or in the military and usually widowers.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:37 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I'm not getting attached, just thinking a little common courtesy wouldn't kill anyone.
Yes it never killed anyone, but just move on.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:41 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I've seen a lot of people, often men, mention the scammers. I know my husband received those types of messages on occasion. I don't recall ever receiving one of those. What is their M.O.?
Usually asking For money along with an elaborate story about a sick relative or something. No photos or ones that hide identity. Or they vanish and reappear with a different name.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:45 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
The purpose of scammers is to make money. There are usually some signs, like they are in another country working, or in the military and usually widowers.
^ For sure. You gotta love the ones from the ones that state their military status, those really crack me up how devoted and endearing they try to make themselves sound. Out of country and widowers are way too obvious in their approach.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:45 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
It's gotten a lot better than it was 10 years ago! I remember going on several dates with guys I met online who were using way out dated pictures or their best picture that just happened to not look anything like their reality. The last time I used it, I put up as many pictures of myself as it would allow so people could have a more accurate picture of what I looked like and I had friends help pick them.

It's really disturbing to meet up with someone completely unrecognizable from their photo. I met one guy at a coffee shop who was using a 20 year old picture. I just sat at a chair next to him trying to decide if it was him. He looked at me like he knew me and said my name. It was really awkward! I told him he didn't look like his picture and he got offended. Really??? Anyways, I enjoyed the coffee meet up for what it was, me hanging out with an older man. I didn't answer when he called me later that week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships