Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 09:36 PM

24 posts, read 15,838 times

Advertisements

Not my kid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 09:58 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
If she signed a lease based on a promise you made to help her make rent, then yes, you should keep her promise.

Wouldn't you want her to do the same if you were in her shoes?

Old 08-09-2014, 09:58 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakawaka67 View Post
I thought about the whole honor thing except:
Im 32 yrs old. I dont need to proof to myself im a good guy

second, what honor is there in a relationship that doesnt exist?

Yes there was a promise. But we also said we would go to disneyland, ny, florida. But thats not happening. Whats so different?

Ugh hate the guilt though

I guess you know the answer: You are not a man of your word. You are willing to trade that in for $300.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:16 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Helping her would be the right thing to do since you made a desperate woman and children a promise, but legally, you owe her nothing. It's up to you what you do. I would find it to be honorable if you helped her, but she does need to learn the hard lesson in life at some point of not trusting a persons mere word. It's something everyone needs to learn, even her children.

And, you need to learn not to get yourself in situations like this again (where you offer to extend yourself in such a way in a situation that you don't know exactly what you're getting into). Learn to be more cautious and not make promises that you don't know if you can/will keep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why do you feel the terms are unfair? You promised to help w/the rent whether or not you two were romantically involved. You should keep that promise, unless there's very good justification for breaking it. Let this be a lesson in making promises too easily.
Quote:

Yes there was a promise. But we also said we would go to disneyland, ny, florida. But thats not happening. Whats so different?

Ugh hate the guilt though
i have to agree with the others OP, you made a promise, and now you should keep it. it will be an expensive lesson for you, but one you must learn anyway.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:19 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
$300.00 is nothing if you are ensuring the child gets a decent meal and a warm dry place to sleep. No child should have to live in a car or a cardboard box especially because of a decision made by a parent. You help them out...and you will be rewarded eventually. Maybe not by her...maybe not immediately...but you will be rewarded none the less.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:44 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Helping her would be the right thing to do since you made a desperate woman and children a promise, but legally, you owe her nothing.
If your name is on the lease along with hers, then the landlord can come after you for 100% of the rent, not just $300. And, in some states (California comes to mind), even if you are not on the lease.

Quote:
Well, it seems like you do. It seems like you are tempted to do the scummy thing.

Quote:
Honor has nothing to do with a relationship. Honor is about being a decent human being for yourself, and for the future friends and business opportunities and lovers that will attract.

Quote:
I think you are a big boy and can answer for yourself what is different.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:23 PM

Yea but you know what .. Shes got a daddy who sees her 2 weekends a month. Why the heck am i paying for that kid when he doesnt pay crap and sees her. I wont ever see her again

Old 08-09-2014, 11:38 PM

alright so heres the truth...its actually 900 for a 12mo lease. i know she needs it and she works hard but i feel paying over $10000 for a relat lasting 3 months for a kid that isnt mine. something is wrong

Old 08-09-2014, 11:45 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:
alright so heres the truth...its actually 900 for a 12mo lease. i know she needs it and she works hard but i feel paying over $10000 for a relat lasting 3 months for a kid that isnt mine. something is wrong
Wait, you lied to us when asking our advice on ethics?

Dude. You've got bigger problems.

But I agree that 10k is not realistic. (Unless you make 100k or more.) What is the penalty for breaking the lease? I bet it's a lot less than 10k. Can she afford a decent place on her own? Will she need to move to another city or something? You could pay the lease penalty and help her with what she needs to get set up at a new place.

Of course at this point I don't figure I can believe a word you say.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Wait, you lied to us when asking our advice on ethics?

Dude. You've got bigger problems.

But I agree that 10k is not realistic. (Unless you make 100k or more.) What is the penalty for breaking the lease? I bet it's a lot less than 10k. Can she afford a decent place on her own? Will she need to move to another city or something? You could pay the lease penalty and help her with what she needs to get set up at a new place.

Of course at this point I don't figure I can believe a word you say.
good thinking ! i could pay the lease term fee. but she/ i lose the 2200 deposit and 1st month rent . that means i would lose nearly 10k in relocating her anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships