Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 03:48 PM

44,354 posts, read 20,059,784 times

Advertisements

Is it really better to have loved and lost?

Yes.

My last true love was two years ago. When we decided to go our separate ways, it was the most heart-shattering thing imaginable for me. It was terribly difficult to get over, and I still shed tears over him once in a blue moon. But I can honestly say that it was worth every tear because the relationship, while it lasted, brought me more joy than I have ever known with any other man.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:52 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Can I steal that line!
Have at it. I think my brother used that line.

To have some people out of my life, it is totally worth it. More than once that has been the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 04:24 PM

31,033 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
No. I believe it's the other way around. It's worse to love and lose then to never love at all because if you've never loved how can you know what you've lost?
Yeah, I think it came from experiencing all that life has to offer as opposed to not experiencing life. I could go either way depending how I feel that day.

"Love: You can't beat the exhilaration, but the fall is Hell!" LS Jaun

Last edited by LS Jaun; 02-08-2012 at 05:46 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 04:43 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
IS it better to have loved and lost? I've asked myself this more then once in my life. And I'm still not sure what the anwser is. Perhaps those of us who have loved and lost wouldn't be so damaged if we hadn't loved. We tend to carry our baggage from one relationship to the next. We put up our guard and refusing to let anyone in, or let them get close to us. We have become jaded and closed off. If you haven't loved you still see hope and a chance to be loved. Your tend to be more open towards the idea of it. I still can't say what's better to be honest, as you get older perhaps it's not better......

Last edited by reed067; 02-08-2012 at 05:18 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 05:13 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
It absolutely is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. But unless you're just talking about yourself and not her loss, which I assume you are, her situation hasn't much to do with love. Her's is about bad choices.

I believe that everyone in our lives was put there for a reason, a season or a lifetime, but all have a purpose, even if it was painful to lose them. Even if you never recover from losing them.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:48 PM

31,033 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
It absolutely is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. But unless you're just talking about yourself and not her loss, which I assume you are, her situation hasn't much to do with love. Her's is about bad choices.

I believe that everyone in our lives was put there for a reason, a season or a lifetime, but all have a purpose, even if it was painful to lose them. Even if you never recover from losing them.
I think you probably will hear more men say it's better to never have loved at all than women since men aren't supposed to be in touch with their touchy feely side.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Is it really better to have loved and lost?

Yes.

My last true love was two years ago. When we decided to go our separate ways, it was the most heart-shattering thing imaginable for me. It was terribly difficult to get over, and I still shed tears over him once in a blue moon. But I can honestly say that it was worth every tear because the relationship, while it lasted, brought me more joy than I have ever known with any other man.

So now more then likey your going to compare every man you meet to this guy. Sadly they are not going to compare and you or said guy will suffer for it.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:52 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I think you probably will hear more men say it's better to never have loved at all than women since men aren't supposed to be in touch with their touchy feely side.
Probably the same type of man who thinks appearing to be happy is more important than actually being. Hope that notion is helpful to them on cold, lonely nights when they want someone to love.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Probably the same type of man who thinks appearing to be happy is more important than actually being. Hope that notion is helpful to them on cold, lonely nights when they want someone to love.

But if they haven't had anyone then they wouldn't know the difference. At some point would they not be better off not knowing?

Old 02-08-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
But if they haven't had anyone then they wouldn't know the difference. At some point would they not be better off not knowing?
Depends on how you look at it. If you're a 'glass half empty' sort of person, you might be better off not. But if you think life has a purpose and a direction, you learn from experiences and count your blessings, it's always better to have loved and lost....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships