Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 07:06 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times

Advertisements

I know not all people celebrate Christmas,(so dont mean you)not all posters have friends or family in their lives right now and there is something very sad about people posting to strangers all through the family holiday times. I wish you all peace and am sorry to see some posters crabbing,miserable or even in a "tattle tale" stance and reporting to MODS on Christmas. This makes me very symphathetic to the lives of others on here. Some of you are very sad and lonely.Anyone care to share ?

Last edited by nanannie; 12-26-2007 at 07:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 07:21 PM

47 posts, read 47,080 times
I don't celebrate Christmas. I feel happy for your greatness.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:33 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Then I am not referring to you grey, pass this post by. (I QUOTE: KNOW NOT ALL POSTERS CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS SO DONT MEAN YOU)

Old 12-27-2007, 06:38 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
LOL, I didn't think I would be posting this week because we're off visiting family. But guess what I'm learning--family get togethers=plenty of moments when you want a quiet activity.

So far, I've turned to this site when:
1. Niece wanted to cook dinner entirely by herself and shooed everyone out of the kitchen.
2. Everyone's watching the game on tv. I'm not a big sports fan, this gave me something to do while being in the same room with everyone else.
3. It gave me something to do while the rest of the family hit the mall yesterday... Crazed bargain-happy shoppers on the day after Christmas are a little too frantic for an old gal like me.
3. This morning, I'm up while everyone else is still asleep.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:50 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
...oh, and this forum was a great place to turn when everyone got a little crabby after too much "family cheer" (it happens) and a huge fight erupted about the SF tiger.

Suddenly everyone was bickering about whether or not it was right to shoot the tiger, since the kids were probably taunting it in the first place. I just kept quiet and started writing a post about museums...

Old 12-27-2007, 07:00 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I know not all people celebrate Christmas,(so dont mean you)not all posters have friends or family in their lives right now and there is something very sad about people posting to strangers all through the family holiday times.
I wonder why that makes you sad? I was posting all day long on Christmas and gave away all my cookies as gifts to other posters. I was having fun!

greenie

Old 12-27-2007, 07:05 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I know not all people celebrate Christmas,(so dont mean you)not all posters have friends or family in their lives right now and there is something very sad about people posting to strangers all through the family holiday times. I wish you all peace and am sorry to see some posters crabbing,miserable or even in a "tattle tale" stance and reporting to MODS on Christmas. This makes me very symphathetic to the lives of others on here. Some of you are very sad and lonely.Anyone care to share ?
I posted here on the 24th and 25th; I mostly did it to pass the time while I was waiting for my BF to get ready to go somewhere, or while he was visiting with his kids on the 25th. I spent most of both days with my family. So...

Old 12-27-2007, 07:09 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
Default goldenmom's life turns into an episode of COPS

I'm not quite sure who was reporting what to the mods, etc. In any case, I had one of the worst days of my life on Christmas - my young daughter was supposed to spend the day with her father, going with him to a relative's house for the traditional Christmas gathering. I was happily ensconced at a nice hotel, eating bon bons and watching Law & Order re-runs. He brought her to my hotel room crying hysterically for me ... I let them in, cuddled with her in the bed and then said (innocently, I'm sorry, I just assumed) "is she going to stay here with me?" and he started screaming and saying she WOULD go with him to the gathering, it was a family thing and she WOULD attend. Then he said I should let go of her, he was going to take her by force. She was screaming hysterically. I just asked him to calm down, to give her time, to adapt the plan. Then out of nowhere he grabbed one of my wrists and then lurched my arm behind my back. (This arm hadn't been previously involved in any way - it was just resting on my side until he grabbed it). He was screaming at us and we were screaming in fear. He finally left. I did file a police report, but didn't file charges. How did my life sink so far? So yeah, I'm one of the sad pathetic Christmas posters. Now he says that the reason he can't work out his relationship with her is because I "won't get out of the way" - I mean, did anyone notice the part where I mentioned I was in a hotel and he brought her to my hotel room because she was crying for me?

Old 12-27-2007, 07:13 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
There are a number of folks on here that are not strangers to me. Some that get together in RL, some that I have spoken to on the phone, some that I know through DMs and some through posting.

There are more than a dozen right now that would invite me to meet them for lunch if I was passing through their town. More than a dozen that I would open my home to if they needed a place to stay.

I have seen people post about sad things that are uplifted by total strangers. The connections, the support and the "tough love" that is delivered is, I'm sure, a lifeline to some.

In RL we are first defined by physical appearance when out in public. I have wondered how many folks may have a physical disability and are "seen" for whom they are on this site, not defined by their handicap.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:15 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
There are a number of folks on here that are not strangers to me. Some that get together in RL, some that I have spoken to on the phone, some that I know through DMs and some through posting.

There are more than a dozen right now that would invite me to meet them for lunch if I was passing through their town. More than a dozen that I would open my home to if they needed a place to stay.

I have seen people post about sad things that are uplifted by total strangers. The connections, the support and the "tough love" that is delivered is, I'm sure, a lifeline to some.

In RL we are first defined by physical appearance when out in public. I have wondered how many folks may have a physical disability and are "seen" for whom they are on this site, not defined by their handicap.
beautiful, thank you for this post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships