Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:05 PM

1,917 posts, read 1,279,709 times

Advertisements

What is the "shelf life" of a single guy? I have heard this theory over and over about how women can "smell" if a guy is single and is therefore undesirable(I will NEVER understand why women are attracted to guys that are taken/married. Stupid to me...). Anyway to the women, how long can a guy be single before he loses all of his "luster"? And by luster, I mean the little bit of him that is still somewhat desirable even though he is single. How long does it take for a guy to be deemed as "something is wrong with him because he is single"? 2-3 years? 5-10 years?...... I hope all of you understand my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 08:14 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
No, I don't understand your question, sorry. It sounds ridiculous. Single guys don't have a shelf life. Are you talking about some of these 40-year-old virgins here on the forum? You know, there are quite a few guys who go through HS and college single, and that doesn't hurt their post-college prospects at all. Nor does having a several-year dry spell in-between relationships. I can't relate to this question at all. Guys aren't undesirable just because they're single. That's absurd.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:16 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
What is the "shelf life" of a single guy? I have heard this theory over and over about how women can "smell" if a guy is single and is therefore undesirable(I will NEVER understand why women are attracted to guys that are taken/married. Stupid to me...). Anyway to the women, how long can a guy be single before he loses all of his "luster"? And by luster, I mean the little bit of him that is still somewhat desirable even though he is single. How long does it take for a guy to be deemed as "something is wrong with him because he is single"? 2-3 years? 5-10 years?...... I hope all of you understand my question.
Where in the world did you hear such nonsense?

No - I don't understand your question. Men and women don't have a "shelf life".

Old 09-29-2014, 08:16 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,599 times
There's no expiration date if he's a quality man looking for a quality woman. I won't lie and say that some women won't say "Oh, what's wrong with him that he's single," because there are some on this very board who will. The key thing is that he is single for certain reasons, e.g., he just hasn't met the right person or he has been healing from a break up. I wish I could say that man who has been single for a long time because he is a player has a shorter shelf life, but unfortunately I've seen too many women think they can change a player to know that's not true.

I guess as long as he isn't single for creepy reasons, like he lives in the sewer or collects doll heads decorated like his exes, then there is no shelf life.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:17 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Someone is overthinking again.

Why do you sad sacks always look so hard for things to be discouraged about?

It's pathological.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:24 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
I don't think about things like "shelf life" when I talk to guys.

If I am interested...the only things I worry about at that moment is if he is single or not.

If he is, I'll see where it goes.

If not, I'm gone.

It's really quite simple.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:36 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Shelf life? I would say indefinite (if the package isn't compromised) like a can of spam.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:37 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
There you go, OP, answers from five women. Are you going to believe them?

Old 09-29-2014, 08:39 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I'm organic so I rot quickly. That is why I pickled myself. I'm good for ages.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:40 PM

92 posts, read 97,286 times
If you are honest with yourself, you know when you are washed up.

It has a lot to do with how successful you have been over the years playing the field or lack thereof. Mostly the lack thereof and being single most of your adult life. If you can count your girlfriends on one hand or even two, it's not looking good for you.

When no one wants you and no one talks to you anymore is another nail in your coffin. When the guys in the room don't share your looks, life accomplishments or soul, yet they still pull away from your shining light and you are ignored.

Men certainly do have a shelf life, it's around late thirties, early forties if you want to put a number on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships