Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 03:28 PM

324 posts, read 294,569 times

Advertisements

A female friend and I were talking and she came up with the issue of someone going out with friend of the opposite sex while in a relationship. I told her I couldn't obviously speak from my experience as a boyfriend but I said I go out pretty regularly with another female friend that I've known since childhood. Her boyfriend doesn't mind (truth be told he's very good looking so I'm not really a threat).

I also told her if I was available, I think I would just want to get to know the friend and trust her.

She asked why wasn't I available and told her about my issues with anxiety, hostile environment while growing up. She said I should stop making excuses because otherwise almost nobody would be dating. She said it's OK to say I'm simply not interested but that my issues were a lousy explanation.

I mean, I can't see why? I know things would go very wrong witn another person when my issues came to the surface. That way, I'm doing what it's right and protecting other people from my troubles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 03:40 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
Sounds like just an assumption she made or simply saying you are not interested would've been the easier route to go, rather than explaining your life story.

No one really knows why you aren't dating but YOU. If you do not want to date, feel comfortable with being by yourself , or are trying to better yourself as a person; those are your reasons, and you don't have to explain yourself to anyone. From what I can tell you are just trying to work on your own personal issues, and I see nothing wrong with that.

Although, I wouldn't have told her your life story. She didn't really need to know that. That's just my opinion.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Sounds like just an assumption she made or simply saying you are not interested would've been the easier route to go, rather than explaining your life story.

No one really knows why you aren't dating but YOU. If you do not want to date, feel comfortable with being by yourself , or are trying to better yourself as a person; those are your reasons, and you don't have to explain yourself to anyone. From what I can tell you are just trying to work on your own personal issues, and I see nothing wrong with that.

Although, I wouldn't have told her your life story. She didn't really need to know that. That's just my opinion.
I know the reasons only matter to me but I've no problem telling the truth to friends.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:48 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanWarrior View Post
I know the reasons only matter to me but I've no problem telling the truth to friends.
She had a point. Don't volunteer that information. It makes you look wimpy. Just say dating is not on my radar now, leave it at that.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:52 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
ARE you working on your issues?

In any case, you probably should not be hanging out on relationships boards. You aren't going to learn anything here, and they can be toxic to people with personality disorders.

Maybe go to ones that specialize in childhood trauma or anger management?

Old 10-01-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
It makes you look wimpy.
I don't really go around telling everyone (I barely talk about this) but I don't really have to impress anyone, do I?

Old 10-01-2014, 04:52 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Some would say that once you know about a problem, you are obligated to work on it and fix it so that you CAN be "available" and in relationship with someone.

Of course, that assumes that you WANT to be in a relationship.

If you don't want to, you can just simmer in your own problems. You may think you are protecting people by avoiding relationships, but your dysfunction still affects the even non-romantic interactions you DO have.

It's not about impressing anyone. It's about being healthy. You don't even know the negative ways your past could be affecting your life.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:32 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,562,130 times
Am I the only one who thinks the female friend may like him as more than a friend and that's why she spoke out, in frustration?

Old 10-01-2014, 08:39 PM

158 posts, read 144,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the female friend may like him as more than a friend and that's why she spoke out, in frustration?
No, that was in the back of my mind when I read OPs initial post in thread here also.

Is she in a relationship TitanWarrior?

Old 10-02-2014, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGPA View Post
Is she in a relationship TitanWarrior?
No but she's trying to snatch up a guy, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships