Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 11:15 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Nobody goes there to date. They go there for the money. But the astronomical rents, and skyrocketing costs for everything eat up some of the extra money you make. And the hours you have to endure to make the big money are killer. Any huge boom is gonna be like that. Like the Alaska Pipeline project. Insane conditions for living and working, but if you can put up with it, you can come away from it with a nice chunk of change. Buy yourself a house somewhere, get a normal job, and jump-start your retirement savings with what's left over.

I visited a friend that ran a motel in Bowman ND. All the rentals were to workers coming into town. They stay and work their butts off for a few months, then go home for a week. I don't think the dating was good (it was for her) because we went out to a couple of places in town and it was 50-1 guys to women. Not exaggerating at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 05:59 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
I think many men, view sex (with someone they consider hot) as the measuring stick between "success" and "failure." If that's the endgame, then it may indeed be easier.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:43 PM

128 posts, read 203,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corijei View Post
Tell that to the disabled (who can't work), college grads who can't find a job, etc.
Unemployment among young people with college degrees is relatively low. When I wrote the OP, I didn't have in mind those with liberal arts degrees or had 2.0 GPAs. Several of the harder-working people from my accounting/finance courses either made six figures within a few years after graduating or did time with prestigious firms, almost guaranteeing that they'll never struggle finding work or earning more than the typical graduate so long as they live.

There were unemployed graduates, but most people in college don't take their classes seriously. Is it any wonder that some of them are broke?

Last edited by Protege; 10-25-2014 at 12:08 AM..

Old 10-24-2014, 10:58 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
If by some weird twist of fate I were thrown back out onto the dating scene, I'd be dangerous.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I think many men, view sex (with someone they consider hot) as the measuring stick between "success" and "failure." If that's the endgame, then it may indeed be easier.
I included the part about hookup culture because the "There is no doubt that dating is harder these days" thread's OP claimed it made dating harder. Instead, it's made dating more accessible for the vast majority of men, rather than just the ones who could afford expensive dinners for multiple girls at once. This difference can also make finding relationships easier for many men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
In some ways though, OLD actually makes things more difficult for the average man. It has made women far more picky and even women that you meet IRL have the option of jumping online and easily meeting that tall, handsome guy that most men are not.
I'm sure guys online are at least as proactive as women at trying to get the hottest prospect. The average man would have much less of a shot getting a hot girl in real life because he wouldn't talk to her in the first place.

Going further with that, women of all cultures in history have sought out the most desirable select few men, leaving a large percentage of men either with either prostitutes or nothing at all: Ancient Greece, Medieval Europe, the Ottoman Empire, and Imperial China are only a few examples. Men and women are actually more likely to date at a similar status (and looks) today and it can be seen by the fact that it's uncommon for American women to date much older men. American men are also fortunate to live in a country with very high social mobility, so there's really nothing out of reach for the ambitious American man. Looks are an even easier factor since, to repeat my OP, the average man can just work out and dress better until he reaches his desired level of attainable handsomeness.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:25 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege View Post
I included the part about hookup culture because the "There is no doubt that dating is harder these days" thread's OP claimed it made dating harder. Instead, it's made dating more accessible for the vast majority of men, rather than just the ones who could afford expensive dinners for multiple girls at once. This difference can also make finding relationships easier for many men.
I disagree. It has made things easier for the best looking guys, but, ultimately, it's more work for the rest of us. In the past, all I would have to do is be a good provider. These days, in addition to supporting myself, I have to work out daily and be extremely charming and charismatic all the time to attract women, in addition to having multiple interests and hobbies. On top of that, you need to have game and experience with women, which is a pain in and of itself.

Way too much work.

Quote:
I'm sure guys online are at least as proactive as women at trying to get the hottest prospect. The average man would have much less of a shot getting a hot girl in real life because he wouldn't talk to her in the first place.
This statement is insane and completely wrong. I think most men will attest to the fact that they get significantly higher quality women in real life (I certainly do). If you are not one of the best looking men, you will not do well online. Period.

Quote:
Going further with that, women of all cultures in history have sought out the most desirable select few men, leaving a large percentage of men either with either prostitutes or nothing at all: Ancient Greece, Medieval Europe, the Ottoman Empire, and Imperial China are only a few examples. Men and women are actually more likely to date at a similar status (and looks) today and it can be seen by the fact that it's uncommon for American women to date much older men. American men are also fortunate to live in a country with very high social mobility, so there's really nothing out of reach for the ambitious American man.
The only way that an ambitious average American man will be extremely successful is to leave this country.

Furthermore, in the past, women were far more willing to date older men. Men and women dating within their status and looks is new. In the past, women would go with the best provider.

Quote:
Looks are an even easier factor since, to repeat my OP, the average man can just work out and dress better until he reaches his desired level of attainable handsomeness.
Again, totally wrong. You cannot change the two most important things that women look for physically (facial looks and height) by working out and dressing well. These two things are way over-valued. If you are simply born tall and good-looking, you will be a top man. If you are not, then you won't be. Simple as that.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:55 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
American men are also fortunate to live in a country with very high social mobility, so there's really nothing out of reach for the ambitious American man.

What do you mean by social mobility?

Because economic mobility in the U.S. is VERY low. We're really one of the lowest of the Western Nations. The ability to move up or down in economic class in the U.S. is very limited, despite the tales we tell about our Nation.

Do you mean something else by your statement?

Old 10-25-2014, 02:05 PM

596 posts, read 627,813 times
Yeah for men.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What do you mean by social mobility?

Because economic mobility in the U.S. is VERY low. We're really one of the lowest of the Western Nations. The ability to move up or down in economic class in the U.S. is very limited, despite the tales we tell about our Nation.

Do you mean something else by your statement?
It's easy to move up in economic class in the US. Just because most Americans use their time in high school and college for partying instead of focusing on their futures doesn't mean it's hard to make money here.

This is a country where pretty much anyone can become a millionaire. I probably don't even earn the median income for bachelor's degree holders and I put six figures in the bank fairly quickly while living alone near the beach in Southern California. I'm not sure how many Europeans can do that sort of thing (specifically those welfare states with "higher economic mobility" like Scandinavian countries, France, etc.) when they tend to make lower incomes, pay more in taxes, and have higher costs of living.

If a man is broke and wants to get rich, he should move to the US.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:31 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,964 times
Quote:
It's easy to move up in economic class in the US. Just because most Americans use their time in high school and college for partying instead of focusing on their futures doesn't mean it's hard to make money here.

This is a country where pretty much anyone can become a millionaire. I probably don't even earn the median income for bachelor's degree holders and I put six figures in the bank fairly quickly while living alone near the beach in Southern California. I'm not sure how many Europeans can do that sort of thing (specifically those welfare states with "higher economic mobility" like Scandinavian countries, France, etc.) when they tend to make lower incomes, pay more in taxes, and have higher costs of living.

If a man is broke and wants to get rich, he should move to the US.
I agree with you here. Money is everywhere here. It's relatively easy to do well financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships