Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 09:29 AM

615 posts, read 726,274 times

Advertisements

(1) Fewer attractive people.

This is mainly due to obesity, prevalence of tattoos, higher rates of severe acne and baldness, just to name a few reasons. It results in more competiton for the limited number of attractive people of both sexes.

(2) Busier, complicated, isolated world.

It's harder to meet people.

(3) Feminism.

Women are outpacing men, but still want men who are more successful than they are.

(4) Hookup culture.

More people are not long-term relationship material due to STDs and the fact that guys eschew promiscuous women as relationship partners.

(5) Messaging.

With text /Facebook/whatever messaging as a primary means of comunication, there is so much gamesmanship, feigning disinterest, misinterpretation, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 09:35 AM

545 posts, read 632,611 times
I think obesity is the major issue in america because it takes women off the market but not men. The suburban isolation lifestyle is another major issue.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:44 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,902,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post

This is mainly due to obesity, prevalence of tattoos, higher rates of severe acne and baldness, just to name a few reasons. It results in more competiton for the limited number of attractive people of both sexes.
Obesity among women isn't uniform across all groups and all regions. In the better areas of LA and NYC, for instance, you can see plenty of amazingly beautiful women in their 20s and 30s, and seeing overweight women isn't that common. Of course once you get to the poorer parts of the city, you see many more such occurrences.

Same holds for men as well. However, in both of the above areas, there are more men than women, so even if there are attractive ppl of both sexes, the ratio is in favor of the women.

Quote:

This is definitely very true.

Quote:
(3) Feminism.

Women are outpacing men, but still want men who are more successful than they are.
But feminism has also made women more independent and educated, and such women are more likely to engage in casual sex because they're more liberated and not tied to trading in sex and fertility in exchange for financial security. In fact, your very next point is about this. Most young guys I know would welcome this

If you're a traditional male, of course, you probably don't share this view. I'm also not suggesting that casual sex is the pinnacle of what society should aspire towards.

Quote:
(4) Hookup culture.

More people are not long-term relationship material due to STDs and the fact that guys eschew promiscuous women as relationship partners.
Perhaps.

Quote:
(5) Messaging.

With text /Facebook/whatever messaging as a primary means of comunication, there is so much gamesmanship, feigning disinterest, misinterpretation, etc.
I do suspect this is true. It's too easy these days to keep holding off for something better around the corner.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:46 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Dating is harder because humans make it harder and there is no other reason.

All of your "requirements" does not account for who any one person is it only accounts for their physical attributes or lack of.

Until all of those who have trouble dating figure out that the physical attributes only last so long and are not important dating troubles will be continuous throughout the entire dating life.

Also, whining and complaining on a public forum about all of the issues of dating does not get any better because it changes nothing.
Until you are ready to actually go out and face the real world in all of your perfectness you will not find anyone who appeals to you.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:47 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Obesity doesn't really take anybody off the market.

A huge part of this nation is overweight, it is widely accepted or desired (I have been called too skinny and sick looking in VA, for example) and I see lots of overweight people who have loving partners.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:47 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Harder =/= worse.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:48 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,212,172 times
Quote:

I'm not really sure how this is statistically proven since beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote:

Technology has done a great job of contributing to this. Go to a bar and look around at the tables filled with people with their faces buried in their phones. If you interrupt this for a stranger with actual human interaction, you're considered a creep.

Quote:
(3) Feminism.

I agree with this. It seems like every girl I meet anymore has a Master's degree or some form of professional degree. Often times, I'm left wondering if they think that I'm not good enough for this reason (I only have a Bachelor's degree).

Quote:
(4) Hookup culture.

I'm not sure about this. There have been studies indicating that younger people are having much less sex. The hookup culture seems to be less of a thing once you reach your late 20s IME.

Quote:
(5) Messaging.

I agree with this as well. This has to be one of the toughest challenges for me, and I'm guessing most people, because I think this is the crucial point where things either fizzle out or go forward. And since it's all a big guessing game, and we're all trying to be overly guarded of ourselves and our actions, it often times just fizzles out. Ultimately, it has nothing to do with whether or not the people were a good match but more so about self-destructive tendencies (i.e. "I'm not going to message this person because I feel like I'll come across as clingy").

Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvernightDelivery View Post
I think obesity is the major issue in america because it takes women off the market but not men.
I'm not following.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:57 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,212,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I'm not following.
I think the implication is that men don't want to date fat girls, which leaves a large imbalance because you have more competition among men trying to compete for decent looking, fit girls.

I think...

However, I don't necessarily agree. Fat, average girls seem to get a ton more action, because guys will pretty much chase anything.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:07 AM

881 posts, read 2,254,285 times
Quote:
(3) Feminism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post

I agree with this. It seems like every girl I meet anymore has a Master's degree or some form of professional degree. Often times, I'm left wondering if they think that I'm not good enough for this reason (I only have a Bachelor's degree).
It's something I've noticed certain women are getting more picky about. In general it's usually them just wanting someone with a college degree. However, I have noticed a small amount seeking men who have comparable education levels. Evan Marc Katz talks about this a lot in his blog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships