Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:53 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
You're not telling me anything I don't already know, because I already know that the average girl has significantly better luck at attracting men and getting dates offered to her on OLD sites. You could put up one pic, and have a completely blank profile, and I bet you that you'd still get a steady flow of messages from all sorts of guys.
I wasn't bragging. I'm just saying that I don't go through a lengthy screening process before meeting guys since the OP is curious about how OLD works.

Quote:
In the past week on OKC, I think I got one "Like" and no messages initiated towards me. Not even the fat, unattractive girls send messages my way on the reg. Women will always have an advantage at this game.
I don't think you should take it personally. It's rare for me to initiate contact even if I really like the guy's profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 08:03 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don't think you should take it personally. It's rare for me to initiate contact even if I really like the guy's profile.
I would be lying if I said it didn't suck. But it is what it is and I'm not angry about it (more disappointed than anything; I really thought it would be a good option for someone like me). OLD takes a particular skill set, or personality type, to be really good at it IMO. I've had some dates on there, but I think the men who are most successful at it seem to be a lot less reserved or introverted than me. They're the types that don't give a crap about anything and will say anything to impress a woman. I'm more of a "I'd like to get to know you, put my feelers out, let a relationship naturally develop". Someone like me just doesn't keep up with the pace of OLD. I did almost have something good with this one girl, but I decided to pursue another girl which ended up not working out in the end anyway.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:14 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
I would be lying if I said it didn't suck. But it is what it is and I'm not angry about it (more disappointed than anything; I really thought it would be a good option for someone like me). OLD takes a particular skill set, or personality type, to be really good at it IMO. I've had some dates on there, but I think the men who are most successful at it seem to be a lot less reserved or introverted than me. They're the types that don't give a crap about anything and will say anything to impress a woman. I'm more of a "I'd like to get to know you, put my feelers out, let a relationship naturally develop". Someone like me just doesn't keep up with the pace of OLD. I did almost have something good with this one girl, but I decided to pursue another girl which ended up not working out in the end anyway.
This is my experience too (dealing with those kind of men) and I am not the type who likes that strong, overwhelming personality. I think the more laid back, get to know you over time types like us are on OLD (we were both there) but I don't think our type sticks around for long... but for different reasons. The men, like you, get discouraged by the aggressive men who "strike while the iron is hot" and the women, like me, get annoyed and overwhelmed by it, feeling like it's all just moving too fast.

OLD works, but not for all personality types. The only way you can figure out if it works for you is to try it (so while I hated it, I always tell people they should at least try).

Old 10-25-2014, 09:40 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,102,524 times
I've gotten a few messages from women I have no attraction to at all..I'm probably gonna delete my account

Old 10-25-2014, 09:58 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,385 times

MADtv Lowered Expectations Nestor - YouTube

Old 10-25-2014, 10:15 AM

881 posts, read 2,254,056 times
Make sure you profile looks half way decent, there are plenty of websites out there with advice on how to do this. Or you could post here for suggestions. Keep the first message short but personalized. I usually won't agree to meet on the first message but assuming there are no red flags (and they can pop up) I'll agree to meet after 3-4 messages.

I know plenty of men, who yes are average looking some even a little overweight, who've met the SO through OLD. It's not successful for everyone but I find both genders do things that make their chances of success much less likely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T704le1D1ag

One frequent poster on this board who loves to whine about how terrible OLD is what kind enough to post their profile and I could see exactly why they were having no success. People provided this person with lots of suggestions to improve their profile as well as the messages he was sending. He hasn't taken the advice on improving the profile and pictures at all, he most likely hasn't take the advice on the type of messages he is sending. Yet he is still whining

Last edited by ncsualum2004; 10-25-2014 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: .

Old 10-25-2014, 11:10 AM

Gonna message a girl who viewed my profile..she's a teacher in an area my friend lives and teaches should I ask her what school she teaches in or is that too personal for a first message?

Old 10-25-2014, 11:12 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Too personal

Old 10-25-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Too personal
What's a decent first message?

Old 10-25-2014, 11:30 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I never did old before just joined plenty of fish..Should I just message women I'm attracted to and have something in common with and tell them why is like to go on a date with them?
Online dating in a nut shell.

Women with unreasonable standards trying to hook something out of their league, and lots and lots of creepy dudes.

What happens is guys prey on women below their league to get laid. The women ignore the men in their league that would actually date them only to get duped by a player.

The guys are unhappy because they're only worthy of a woman far bellow their standards or sometimes no women at all if they're not average looking or above, and the woman are unhappy because they get played over and over. In the end.............nobody wins

There are lots of exceptions to this, but this is most people's experience.

I would stay away from any of the free sites if you're going to try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships