Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:23 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,013,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
I don't know. I've never been on these kinds of medications before. I feel better most of the time on it, but it's scary how much of a personality change that I had. I've never felt like that before in my life.
i call bullsh*t: so unlikely SSRIs have this effect, and so unlikely you were misdiagnosed with depression having symptoms of mania. go get re-evaluated, especially if you are taking something like wellbutrin that can have toxic symptoms if over recommended dosage.

also, fyi, recent research has indicated that these SSRI anti-depressants are of limited efficacy, not much better than placebo.... crazy how big pharma made gazillions for over selling the therapeutic value of these meds over the past 25 years.

The Limits of Antidepressants: Exploring the Alternatives*|*Christiane Northrup, MD

as for your random connection, just deal with it. no special instruction need if you now have regrets having engaged her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 10:42 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I'm glad you see that, Cristo, because that is some bad news right there. I would think that the dose isn't strong enough, if it's the right drug. But maybe it's not the right drug. Either way, psych meds are not supposed to give you a swing like that. The whole point is to stabilize so you can be strong and rational enough to go through therapy. (I hope your doctor isn't just writing you scrips, and that you are in counseling.) Good luck.

I don't know about going on as if nothing unusual happened. It really depends on what, exactly, you said. Was it really sexual? Or just striking up a conversation?
My major issues are external. Basically, I joined the military and it was the wrong decision for me. I'm stationed in a pretty isolated area and spend a lot of time alone. Because of all of my time in isolation, I've been on the internet a lot (which can definitely be a bad thing). This combined with various injustices that I've seen and experienced in the military, along with daily stress of an overwhelming job, caused me to have anger issues as well. I've been here for 2 years and I've felt that I was on the brink of insanity (this was even before the meds and the suicidal ideation).

I've never had issues with depression before this.

I do see a therapist once a week, but she basically just says that I just have to keep it together until I separate (which I will in less than a year) and get out of this area. She doesn't think that I have any major issues, other than I spend too much time alone, get too little sleep, and am overly stressed out at my job.

So that's the long of it lol.

I just read through the texts. They really weren't sexual. It was more just striking up conversations with the intent to have sex with them (even though I'm looking for a relationship these days and these women aren't my type).

Another issue is that I masturbated 5 or 6 times and had casual sex with a girl that I met when out with my friend (which is out of character for me, as I try to avoid casual encounters). So I was extremely horny, far more so than I've ever been in my life (and certainly more than I've been on the medication, which by and large has decreased my sex drive).

Old 10-20-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
i call bullsh*t: so unlikely SSRIs have this effect, and so unlikely you were misdiagnosed with depression having symptoms of mania. go get re-evaluated, especially if you are taking something like wellbutrin that can have toxic symptoms if over recommended dosage.

also, fyi, recent research has indicated that these SSRI anti-depressants are of limited efficacy, not much better than placebo.... crazy how big pharma made gazillions for over selling the therapeutic value of these meds over the past 25 years.

The Limits of Antidepressants: Exploring the Alternatives*|*Christiane Northrup, MD

as for your random connection, just deal with it. no special instruction need if you now have regrets having engaged her.
So I'm making this up?

You are wrong. SSRI have great efficacy. They are the first line treatment in depression and anxiety and are VERY good at treating them.

I do agree that this is an abnormal side effect. Medications respond differently to different people. I'm taking an SSRI now, one that is clinically proven to have the least amount of side effects, and I do believe that this medication triggered this event.

As I said in my previous post, I would not be on this medication if I was not stuck in a situation that I can't get out of right now. I don't plan on being on it forever.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:52 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,013,319 times
Quote:
So I'm making this up?

You are wrong. SSRI have great efficacy. They are the first line treatment in depression and anxiety and are VERY good at treating them.

I do agree that this is an abnormal side effect. Medications respond differently to different people. I'm taking an SSRI now, one that is clinically proven to have the least amount of side effects, and I do believe that this medication triggered this event.

As I said in my previous post, I would not be on this medication if I was not stuck in a situation that I can't get out of right now. I don't plan on being on it forever.
i've been on and off SSRIs for years, and i've tried them all. and i wouldn't kid you about the placebo effect, in fact that link discusses a landmark study published in JAMA (the top medical journal) that caused an earthquake in the field.

you may have experienced a manic episode, not sure your meds caused it. honestly, you may need a different med altogether because sounds like your antidepressant is not addressing your mental health needs. seriously, get better meds. i'm a believer in better living through chemistry. i no longer do SSRI, and life is much better anyway

Old 10-21-2014, 12:31 AM

74 posts, read 70,193 times
Quote:
My major issues are external. Basically, I joined the military and it was the wrong decision for me. I'm stationed in a pretty isolated area and spend a lot of time alone. Because of all of my time in isolation, I've been on the internet a lot (which can definitely be a bad thing). This combined with various injustices that I've seen and experienced in the military, along with daily stress of an overwhelming job, caused me to have anger issues as well. I've been here for 2 years and I've felt that I was on the brink of insanity (this was even before the meds and the suicidal ideation).

I've never had issues with depression before this.

I do see a therapist once a week, but she basically just says that I just have to keep it together until I separate (which I will in less than a year) and get out of this area. She doesn't think that I have any major issues, other than I spend too much time alone, get too little sleep, and am overly stressed out at my job.

So that's the long of it lol.

I just read through the texts. They really weren't sexual. It was more just striking up conversations with the intent to have sex with them (even though I'm looking for a relationship these days and these women aren't my type).

Another issue is that I masturbated 5 or 6 times and had casual sex with a girl that I met when out with my friend (which is out of character for me, as I try to avoid casual encounters). So I was extremely horny, far more so than I've ever been in my life (and certainly more than I've been on the medication, which by and large has decreased my sex drive).

Just want to applaud you for having the courage to go to therapy in the first place. I have a few friends who are either in the military or were, and when you speak of injustices, I know you aren't talking about anything light.

Kudos to you also for knowing yourself well enough to know that you need to leave a field where there is a huge stigma attached to 'leaving'.

I'm curious what medication you were on that caused this manic episode? No need to share unless you want to... just curious.

All my best to you, and I sincerely hope you find a new home and a relationship in the future that brings you joy and fulfillment.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyz View Post
Just want to applaud you for having the courage to go to therapy in the first place. I have a few friends who are either in the military or were, and when you speak of injustices, I know you aren't talking about anything light.

Kudos to you also for knowing yourself well enough to know that you need to leave a field where there is a huge stigma attached to 'leaving'.

I'm curious what medication you were on that caused this manic episode? No need to share unless you want to... just curious.

All my best to you, and I sincerely hope you find a new home and a relationship in the future that brings you joy and fulfillment.
Thanks!

Zoloft.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:34 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
Listen, you had a bad day. No need to beat yourself up for it. Just let her know it was a bad day for you and you are sorry for reaching out to her. She'll probably be mad, but that's okay. She'll survive. Just don't contact her during another manic episode.
"Listen, I had a bad day and hit a serious low point that's why I reached out to you. I was desperate and I thought of you right away. I'm better now and thinking clearly and am sane which now means I'm not crazy anymore and don't want to go out with you."

Old 10-21-2014, 07:37 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Hypersexual mania is more associated with bipolar disorder. Fixing this really needs to be a priority for you because, like I said, it can get you and someone else in a LOT of trouble.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:49 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Hey all.

Kind of a weird situation here. I've been struggling with depression recently (to the point that I was suicidal for a bit). I sought help and got placed on an antidepressant. I was originally placed on a low dose that is generally below the therapeutic dosage. It worked well for a couple of months until it started wearing off and I noticed my anger coming back. So my doctor increased the dose.

All was well until Saturday. Prior to that, my sex drive decreased significantly due to this drug. Well, this past Saturday, the exact opposite happened and I entered what I now realize to be a manic, hypersexual state. I'm generally a guy that worries a lot and sometimes lacks confidence, but Saturday was something completely different.

I messaged a ton of women looking for sex. One woman in particular is one that I've rejected recently due to incompatibility (she's very attractive though which is likely why I messaged her). She was a bit mad at me for how things ended, but she really likes me. She wasn't available that night (thank God) and my manic state did not last longer than that day (I crashed HARD the next day and now I'm back to being balanced). Basically, she wanted to come over my place tonight, but I was able to come up with an excuse. However, she keeps messaging me.

This woman is loosely connected to my job and I'd like to keep on good terms with her. Also, I feel like a douche because I know it seems like I'm giving her hot and cold signals (which I did, due to my drug-induced state). So I'd like to tell her that I'm not interested without hurting her feelings.

Does anybody have any advice for me?
Just stop keeping in touch with her, she will move on.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:21 AM

497 posts, read 696,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
"Listen, I had a bad day and hit a serious low point that's why I reached out to you. I was desperate and I thought of you right away. I'm better now and thinking clearly and am sane which now means I'm not crazy anymore and don't want to go out with you."
Yes, that's exactly what he should say. The more details the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships