Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:30 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The commitment issue to me is more with a person that was together for 5 years but never tied the knot, or tied the knot and couldn't stay committed (though that is a two way street).

A person with several 2-3 year relationships generally hasn't found the right person yet, but in no way shows any commitment issues.

I wish this was true for women. Women that have been in marriages and are now divorced generally are worse in bed, by a good margin, than never married women. They have the drive (lots of it), but not the skills, and often not the practice.
If you are 40+ and haven't found a person yet that can stand being with you for more than for 2-3 years, there is something wrong. Sorry. That's my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 12:37 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
People that have been divorced make poor long term prospects, according to the statistics, if marriage is your goal.

I don't know.

I think it greatly depends on how long that first marriage lasted, or why it ended in divorce. I don't necessarily view people who end their long-term marriages of, say, 15+ years (for reasons other than infidelity,abuse or substance abuse) as being poor long-term prospects. Not at all. I think I'd be more inclined to view someone over the age of 35 who's never been in a serious, committed, LTR as a FAR more iffy prospect.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:38 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
If you are 40+ and haven't found a person yet that can stand being with you for more than for 2-3 years, there is something wrong. Sorry. That's my opinion.

Who said "stand" being with? That's an awfully low threshold. Dated plenty of people I could "stand" being with. I was even engaged to someone and we were best of friends. We called it off, intelligently. Sorry, "standing" someone isn't enough. Even liking or adoring someone isn't enough.

I've been with someone for 8 years or so, and guess what, she had no interest in marriage. She isn't commitment phobic, just doesn't want to get married. I would have married her. So I have a commitment issue?

You can have your opinion, but it is pretty messed up. That's my opinion. People get married way way too easily if being able to "stand" someone is the big hurdle to cross.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Who said "stand" being with? That's an awfully low threshold. Dated plenty of people I could "stand" being with. I was even engaged to someone and we were best of friends. We called it off, intelligently. Sorry, "standing" someone isn't enough. Even liking or adoring someone isn't enough.

I've been with someone for 8 years or so, and guess what, she had no interest in marriage. She isn't commitment phobic, just doesn't want to get married. I would have married her. So I have a commitment issue?

You can have your opinion, but it is pretty messed up. That's my opinion. People get married way way too easily if being able to "stand" someone is the big hurdle to cross.
The 8 years count in my book as a plus and equally to marriage.

But if somebody has many up to 2-3 year relationships and nothing longer, there is something wrong.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:41 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
It is better to have have loved and lost than be forever bossed.
Oh, this works for me! Thank you!

Old 10-22-2014, 12:43 PM

158 posts, read 144,000 times
Quote:
if this happens once, fine.
If there is a pattern of shorter relationships and you are over a certain age = red flag.

Most of my exes never had a gf for long. It showed. ALWAYS. I thought it is good cuz they dont have emotional baggage and they are not "used up" yet. But I forgot that they have no clue how to live with a woman and what their part in a real relationship and how to deal with routine.

All the guys I meet who had longterm relationships (5+ years) are better in bed, know that relationships require work and don't run away the first time an issue arises.
You are the common denominator here. Are you difficult?

Just how many guys with 5+ years in LTRs have you encountered to be able to say that? If they were so much better, then why aren't you married already? These are rhetorical questions...

Because if it's any more than two then hoists and petards.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:43 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
The 8 years count in my book as a plus and equally to marriage.

But if somebody has many up to 2-3 year relationships and nothing longer, there is something wrong.

Can't agree as the vast majority of 5-10 year relationships (marriage or no) I see should have ended after 2-3 years.

Marriage, to me, is a once in a life time prospect. You have ONE chance to get it right. It's not something to do flippantly.

I've dated people that I wanted to marry. They didn't want to marry at all, or not marry me. Do I have a commitment issue because of that? Ridiculous.

I've been on the other side too, and just because I didn't agree to marry someone I could "stand" but wasn't widely in love with and passionate about spending my entire life with, then I have a commitment issue? Also ridiculous.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:44 PM

I just broke it off with a guy who was super clingy and needy. He seemed awesome at first and when he said he is 41 and his longest relationship was 2 years, and he was married for below one year, plus his family is all messed up, all my alarm bells went on. I found out quickly, what was wrong.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:45 PM

211 posts, read 266,754 times
Quote:
I think people need to remember second marriages fail at a much higher rate than first marriages. People that have been divorced make poor long term prospects, according to the statistics, if marriage is your goal.

Preferring a divorced person over a still single person is like preferring Blaine Gabbert (failed terrible QB, started for over 2 years) over Johnny Manziel (hasn't started a game yet, clean slate).

Old 10-22-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGPA View Post
You are the common denominator here. Are you difficult?

Just how many guys with 5+ years in LTRs have you encountered to be able to say that? If they were so much better, then why aren't you married already? These are rhetorical questions...

Because if it's any more than two then hoists and petards.
huh? I know lots of people. I was with a guy for 6 years, 8 years, 7 years (ex husband) and dating since 3 years. I have life experience, OLD insight and met lots of young and old people and heard their stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships