Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 06:32 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,140 times

Advertisements

From NYPOST

If you like it, fellas, you should put a ring on it — but remember to actually pop the question first.

A judge has ruled a Long Island woman who broke up with her boyfriend can keep a $10,200 “engagement” ring because her paramour didn’t make a marriage proposal when he handed over the pricey gift.

Unlucky loverboy Joseph Robert Torres, of Yonkers, went to court to snatch back the ring from former gal pal Debbie Lopez, citing a law that lets men retrieve their engagement rings if their wedding plans go bust.

He claimed he proposed to the Valley Stream brunette in an emotional April 2010 moment at Rockefeller Center, when he had the couple’s 6-year-old son hand her the ring.

Lopez, 48, wore it on her left ring finger and even told friends “Maybe, I don’t know yet,” when asked if she was engaged, according to court records.

But after the couple split in 2012, Lopez refused to give up her pricey hardware without a fight. She claimed she didn’t have to surrender the ring because Torres, 52, didn’t actually propose marriage when he gave it to her.

The ring given to Debbie Lopez by her ex-boyfriend. A judge said she could keep it since it was not given in a wedding proposal.

“When he gave it to me, he said it was a gift for being a great woman, a good mother of his child,” Lopez told The Post.

The case went before Nassau County Judge Scott Fairgrieve, who ruled that Lopez was not bound by the law requiring women to return engagement rings because it was “given as a gift and not in contemplation of marriage,” according to an Oct. 14 ruling.

Torres’ White Plains-based attorney, Jasmine Hernandez, said her client was “stunned and disappointed” by the ruling because he thought he was getting engaged.

“He asked [her] to marry him, and the defendant said absolutely,” Hernandez stated in court papers.

Lopez said she was also surprised that her son’s father fought so hard for the ring. “Our relationship didn’t work out, [and] he decided to sue me for the ring,” she said. “I’m like, I don’t understand this, the whole idea was I didn’t want to bother with the ring.”

Woman who dumped boyfriend can keep $10K ‘engagement’ ring: judge | New York Post

Old 10-23-2014, 06:36 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,490,405 times
Regardless anyone who pays more than $500 for a piece of jewelry is an effing idiot. He deserves it for being stupid.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:48 PM

7,456 posts, read 4,688,527 times
It depends who broke with who. If it's the guy, it's luck if the girl returns it. I'd probably suggest the girl keeps it and sells it for money.

If it's the girl, she should return it.

And this is why proposals are best done with witnesses like in an NBA halftime break or in a restaurant. Or if no witnesses, at least videotape it. There has to be an understanding to the woman that the proposal and the taking of the ring represents the taking of the guy for marriage (acceptance). If she breaks her acceptance, she should return it.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
this a a wonderful lesson for the broken hearted boy friend. that is the person you almost married.
be grateful live and learn

Old 10-23-2014, 07:14 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I wonder if he's paid her six years of child support. Maybe it was a wash.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:35 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,295 times
Im not sure how someone gets an engagement ring with no one bothering to ask for a marriage, but whatever - the judge ruled and that's that, unless he thinks its worth appealing the case over (which monetarily, it isnt).

Another tip for expensive token of love buyers - do not give the ring on any holiday, nor on her birthday.

Not even Valentine's Day. The attachment of a holiday to the event may seem romantic, but also files the ring into the random-gift category as well.

"I wanted to propose to her on her birthday. It seemed romantic at the time."

"What did you get her for her birthday?"

"I only gave her the engagement ring on her birthday"

"Okay. It was your birthday gift then also. Case dismissed." *bangs gavel*

Idk why she would be proud to have the story in the post though...the article says she told the judge she didnt want to bother with the ring. What could she have meant by that?? *ponders*

Old 10-23-2014, 08:04 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,875 times
THats a lesson that guys should not be buying expensive rings. Judges are sending very clear messages to men that they should not be signing marriage licences, buying expensive rings or having kids.

Most guys are hearing the message that is being broadcast loud and clear but there are still some idiots out there. Someone has to keep these judges employed lol.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:00 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
THats a lesson that guys should not be buying expensive rings. Judges are sending very clear messages to men that they should not be signing marriage licences, buying expensive rings or having kids.

Most guys are hearing the message that is being broadcast loud and clear but there are still some idiots out there. Someone has to keep these judges employed lol.

Judges are making determinations about property rights, the rest is your subjective interpretation slanted to suit your agenda.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:36 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
The headline is misleading (sort of, since engagement was in quotes). In New York, if an engagement is broken off, the woman has to return the ring by law. This case was questioning if the ring was an engagement ring or a gift for something else. The judge ruled it was a gift. I don't know why, the story doesn't say. Maybe she had witnesses or whatever... or maybe even the judge made a bad call. It's hard to say without more info.

I am curious why she broke things off. They've been together for over 6 years if they have a 6-year-old child together. Doesn't seem like it would be a lighthearted decision to throw it all away after they already had a commitment of sorts. Who knows, she could be a flake or he could be a flake. We just don't know.

Oh, and I agree with everyone who said that's a stupid amount of money to spend on a hunk of metal and a bunch of old rocks.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:33 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,579,050 times
Don't ever give something (material) with the expectation of getting something back unless there is a paper contract involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships