Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 01:02 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times

Advertisements

I am starting to think, based on the answers, that women being successful is a problem in dating. But the problem seems to lie mostly in the minds of men who have self esteem issues with it. They let their own perceived notions of they have to be "more successful" than the woman in the workforce or education get in the way. The ones who think this way seem to take an attitude of "give up before you try because you might fail."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 01:05 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I am starting to think, based on the answers, that women being successful is a problem in dating. But the problem seems to lie mostly in the minds of men who have self esteem issues with it. They let their own perceived notions of they have to be "more successful" than the woman in the workforce or education get in the way. The ones who think this way seem to take an attitude of "give up before you try because you might fail."

I think you're right. As I mentioned before, even though we have similar educational levels and professional jobs, almost every woman I've dated over the past 10 years earns 50% more than I do, at a minimum. Many of them told me they dated other guys that had big issues with it. I don't get it. Who cares?

Men seem to be their own worst enemy from what I hear about.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:12 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I don't care if a woman makes more than me. That indicates to me that she's independent and isn't looking for a man to take complete care of her. It's an attractive quality to me. It's also nice to think that we'd be well off financially with our combined incomes.

One of my buddies called me yesterday and we talked a little about this topic coincidentally. His theory (I don't necessarily subscribe to it; just reciting here) is that the successful women have a mindset that they don't need a man in their lives because they're taking care of themselves. He speculates that this is the attitude of some women, which in turn, makes it difficult for the men who pursue them to have the opportunity to be with them.

Just food for thought.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
One of my buddies called me yesterday and we talked a little about this topic coincidentally. His theory (I don't necessarily subscribe to it; just reciting here) is that the successful women have a mindset that they don't need a man in their lives because they're taking care of themselves. He speculates that this is the attitude of some women, which in turn, makes it difficult for the men who pursue them to have the opportunity to be with them.

I think there is truth to this, and it is what improves dating in this day and age. If a woman has chosen to date you it is because they want to be with YOU. They don't want your money, they don't need it, they don't need any man... but they WANT to be with you. It is very comforting. That should greatly reduce self doubt. I have no idea why it doesn't with some guys.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I have no idea why it doesn't with some guys.
Well, if you're like me and you're in a slump, I guess I could see why some guys would be upset. Because according to what you're saying, the women just don't want to be with you...period. Kinda hard to boost your self esteem when that's the case. It's a catch-22. You need self esteem and a positive aura to attract most women, but when most women reject you, your self-esteem declines and your aura becomes negative.

It's a difficult thing to fight through, particularly when you've put a significant amount of effort to make your life right and "attractive" to others. And I see these threads from posters venting about their SOs who are stoners and losers.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Well, if you're like me and you're in a slump, I guess I could see why some guys would be upset. Because according to what you're saying, the women just don't want to be with you...period. Kinda hard to boost your self esteem when that's the case. It's a catch-22. You need self esteem and a positive aura to attract most women, but when most women reject you, your self-esteem declines and your aura becomes negative.

It's a difficult thing to fight through.

Sure, that is why finding self esteem based on things that have nothing to do with relationships with other people is very important. Its imperative to get to a place where your self esteem doesn't rise and fall based on others actions or inactions.

Yes, that is a lot easier said than done, and sure, I struggle with it to, but it is important.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:28 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
I think there is truth to this, and it is what improves dating in this day and age. If a woman has chosen to date you it is because they want to be with YOU. They don't want your money, they don't need it, they don't need any man... but they WANT to be with you. It is very comforting. That should greatly reduce self doubt. I have no idea why it doesn't with some guys.
This is true. In our society today men and women really don't NEED each other as they did in the past.
Just as women don't need a man for financial support, men don't need a woman to keep the home front or rear their children, but it sure can be nice having someone to share these responsibilities with.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, that is a lot easier said than done, and sure, I struggle with it to, but it is important.
Yeah, it is easier said than done since much of our livelihoods and happiness rely on the actions of others (sex, love, jobs, friendship, etc.).

Old 10-29-2014, 01:30 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Sure, that is why finding self esteem based on things that have nothing to do with relationships with other people is very important. Its imperative to get to a place where your self esteem doesn't rise and fall based on others actions or inactions.

Very wise words Timber.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it is easier said than done since much of our livelihoods and happiness rely on the actions of others (sex, love, jobs, friendship, etc.).

Livelihoods I agree with, but happiness I do not agree with, but that's another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships