Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 09:51 PM

783 posts, read 849,944 times

Advertisements

On my FB feed a poster said she read that in a relationship book. From the male POV men love to feel admired and respected by whoever the woman in our life is. When our GF/wife makes us feel like superman we can take on the world. One of the reasons why men react so negatively to emasculating techniques some women use because it is the exact opposite of what we want.

This also reinforces a saying I heard that says 'Men want to feel admired, women want to feel desired'.

This is not to say that men don't want to feel loved and women don't want to be respected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 11:04 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
No, I think the need for respect is universally present in both groups, but women may want to be desired more than men.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:21 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
The book she is referring to is "Love and Respect" by Emerson Eggerichs. I made it about halfway through it. I think it is a good premise actually; especially the way the writer spells it out. The only reason I only made it halfway through it was I found it a bit repetitive.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:25 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
makes sense.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:31 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,013,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaguy04 View Post
On my FB feed a poster said she read that in a relationship book. From the male POV men love to feel admired and respected by whoever the woman in our life is. When our GF/wife makes us feel like superman we can take on the world. One of the reasons why men react so negatively to emasculating techniques some women use because it is the exact opposite of what we want.

This also reinforces a saying I heard that says 'Men want to feel admired, women want to feel desired'.

This is not to say that men don't want to feel loved and women don't want to be respected.
i believe this is true, but i also believe men must have the qualities to be respected. it just can't be narcissism.

similarly, i do believe many men are in relationships where their SO's don't respect them, and it's conditional love as in until SO cross paths with her "soulmate"....

thanks for the book reference btw, i believe in that stuff so gonna check it out

Old 11-04-2014, 10:06 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
I read it years ago. Good book, good concept. It was right during my divorce. It gave me good insight in moving forward.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:25 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
Eh, between love and respect, I prefer respect. And I'm a woman.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:38 AM
SF

286 posts, read 324,787 times
Default Men want to feel respected, women want to feel loved?

Well according to me it isn't like that. It's not the way you have out it. In my view, yes women do want to feel loved, but that doesn't mean that it's okay if she isn't respected as a person and also if there is love then there is respect as well because love without is not possible and is incomplete. Hence I would say a woman wants to be both loved and respected just like men. Hence love and respect in my view are interconnected, for eg if a guy loves a girl then he surely respects her, at least I can't imagine how can there be a woman who is loved but not respected?

The possibility looks strange according to me.

I also agree men do want to feel respected as well however the degree of that may vary compared to women.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:54 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
I'm not sure how the two can be mutually exclusive in a healthy happy relationship.

My ex did not do much to make me feel loved OR respected. He often said things like "If you love me, you would__________"

His idea of respect was that I would respect him unconditionally, regardless of his behavior/choices. My idea of respect was that he would be a person of good character. When he wasn't, i couldn't fake that. He got mad that I was judging him. He couldn't respect my choices because he was convinced they made him look bad (narcissist!)

I find that I have a big heart and I can love just about anyone, but maintaining my respect for people is harder. I guess because I got so badly burned I'm wary of trusting people. I don't know if that is a man/woman thing or just based on my values and experiences.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:55 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaguy04 View Post

It sounds like one of those mantras - that we see on this forum all too often - which are baseless but designed to maintain this view that men and women are fundamentally different. As mentioned in your OP - whole books and other money making schemes are predicated on maintaining this illusion. It allows people to write whole books about something that is not even there - and succeed in selling them to people.

I can not think of a single person in my circles - or a single argument - that suggests men or women want to be respected or loved more or less than the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships