Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 05:54 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times

Advertisements

I agree, with posters who said 'whenever it feels right'.

Which usually is on the first date
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 06:03 AM

351 posts, read 693,371 times
I never heard of any 3 date rule. I wait until I'm ready. It's been a long time since I've been on the market. I'm married now, so maybe my comments don't count. But, when I was dating, I'd wait until I was sure the guy was right for me. I don't have time for games. I don't sleep with someone because someone else said it's time. Relationships last longer when they are not rushed. Sex is a very intimate thing and can ruin a relationship if it's not done correctly (too rushed, not actually ready, etc.). You don't owe your friend anything other that kindness. When it's time, it's time. If both of you feel like it's time, then go ahead. If there is any feeling of guilt afterwards, then the two of you can work it out then. If the both of you feel comfortable about it, then great, it's time. Don't have sex if you think there's some rule about when it's time. It's all about you and him and the feelings between you.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:08 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnmaged View Post
Yeah, but many advise that if you have sex a guy too early, he will think you are a sl-t, not a "challenge", and not relationship material. Many advocate making him wait, even to the extent of no sex until commitment.

These people are dolts.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:16 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
You are older now, use controception, and use judgement.If you feel you want to see how things go, take your time.

Does kiss a lot? Touchy?

Old 11-07-2014, 11:58 AM

36,518 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
It seems the general consensus on when to have sex with someone you're dating is after the third date.

What if you started dating someone you already knew?

My case:

There's a guy I've known from my social circles/special interest club for about 3 years. We didn't speak much for the first two years; we'd see each other a few times a month at gatherings and exchanged hellos and casual conversation. One year ago we started chatting more and exchanged numbers. We texted sporadically, talked about hanging out, but didn't actually "go out" one-on-one for the first time until 2 weeks ago.

So since this is a guy that I was already acquainted with and have seen over 30 times in social gatherings and joked around/conversed with, do the rules on when to have sex differ?

I understand the 3 date rule applies partly because it would be awkward to sleep with someone you'd just met. I wouldn't be comfortable sleeping with someone I'd only seen twice. But in this case, I've known the guy for a long time, even though we were just acquaintances and not dating.

Note: I am 30 and he's 31.

NO! don't listen to them. STICK TO THE RULES! or you will get us all in trouble.

Its 3. Three dates, not 1 not 2, not 4. Three, always three.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:01 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,862,808 times
Quote:
It seems the general consensus on when to have sex with someone you're dating is after the third date.

What if you started dating someone you already knew?

My case:

There's a guy I've known from my social circles/special interest club for about 3 years. We didn't speak much for the first two years; we'd see each other a few times a month at gatherings and exchanged hellos and casual conversation. One year ago we started chatting more and exchanged numbers. We texted sporadically, talked about hanging out, but didn't actually "go out" one-on-one for the first time until 2 weeks ago.

So since this is a guy that I was already acquainted with and have seen over 30 times in social gatherings and joked around/conversed with, do the rules on when to have sex differ?

I understand the 3 date rule applies partly because it would be awkward to sleep with someone you'd just met. I wouldn't be comfortable sleeping with someone I'd only seen twice. But in this case, I've known the guy for a long time, even though we were just acquaintances and not dating.

Note: I am 30 and he's 31.
There are no rules. If you need rules, you're not an adult yet.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:03 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
eh, you all make this too complicated.

Do what Mr. CSD and I did, we had sex, got married then decided to start dating. It's worked really well 15 years later and 8 of those being married.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:29 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Quote:
Yeah, but many advise that if you have sex a guy too early, he will think you are a sl-t, not a "challenge", and not relationship material. Many advocate making him wait, even to the extent of no sex until commitment.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't want anything to do with a guy whom the word **** is of any use for.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:45 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I don't want anything to do with a guy whom the word **** is of any use for.
It's not just you.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:14 PM

722 posts, read 1,328,340 times
I would wait at least a year, two - three dates is crazy imo, thats like a couple weeks

Americans sure get intimate in a hurry? I wouldnt even hold hands in public after three dates

people that have sex after three dates must have a very high number of sexual partners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships