Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,751 times

Advertisements

First off I'm 22 haven't been to college,I'm going to start professional acting classes soon instead of going to college I just feel that's the best route for me right now. I still live at home due to my epilepsy and I was helping my mom taking care of my grandfather(he recently passed) I wasn't able to look for a job much because of helping with grandfather but now that he has passed I can. Question is would any of this be a deal breaker for dating or not for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 08:42 PM

837 posts, read 960,831 times
I wouldn't date someone who decided not to attend college for a degree or go to school for vocational training.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:42 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron623 View Post
First off I'm 22 haven't been to college,I'm going to start professional acting classes soon instead of going to college I just feel that's the best route for me right now. I still live at home due to my epilepsy and I was helping my mom taking care of my grandfather(he recently passed) I wasn't able to look for a job much because of helping with grandfather but now that he has passed I can. Question is would any of this be a deal breaker for dating or not for you?
My late boyfriend had epilepsy when he was a child, and his epilepsy went away after he finished college. I am hoping yours can be a temporary thing. He was a very good criminal defense attorney.

You can be successful in the future as long as you make the effort. I admire people like you because I have no patience of being somebody's care taker.

Remember to take care of yourself, physically and emotionally. I don't think any of those you mentioned are true deal breakers for the "right" person.

Good luck.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go for the SWAG View Post
My only experiences with epilepsy was with a 10 year old Golden Retriever that a customer owned. I was there doing some work while they weren't home and he geeked out on me. His tongue was hanging out and his eyes were rolled back into his head as he foamed and the mouth and trembled. All I could think was oh ***t I hope he doesn't die on me while "we" are alone.

I went over to him and petted him and talked to him......he came out of it. After the incident I spoke with his owners about him. They were not alarmed, they said it happens all the time and he is usually alright and doesn't require a trip to the vets.
Epilepsy can be pretty scary. Poor dog.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:54 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmorangie View Post
I wouldn't date someone who decided not to attend college for a degree or go to school for vocational training.
Why? Not everyone is cut out to go to college or vocational training. That degree does not guarantee intelligence, being a good person or having stable high salary employment. It is a piece of paper that says you went to class, turned in work and was cut loose into the world after spending thousand of dollars.

Original poster: For some obviously you will not succeed in dating but for others your life choices will not be an issue as long as you are actively pursuing your dreams as well as working somewhere, have no debt, pay your Mother rent, are a good person and know when it is time to let go of the dream and step completely into reality and do not depend on anyone but yourself to support you financially.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why? Not everyone is cut out to go to college or vocational training. That degree does not guarantee intelligence, being a good person or having stable high salary employment. It is a piece of paper that says you went to class, turned in work and was cut loose into the world after spending thousand of dollars.
My reason is just a personal preference of an immigrant who was brought to this country to take advantage of an education. In my culture college isn't dumbed down to being a piece of paper that acknowledges you've spent a ton of money and time at a specific institution. It means you've worked hard to better your knowledge, discipline, experience and applied it to building a future for yourself. It's a growth and intellectual transformation done under the guidance of (hopefully) good mentors and academics. If someone feels that liberal arts, law, or medical school wasn't for them, there are schools that teach specialized curricula that only revolve around an interest you have. Why would you forgo having the opportunity for someone who has mastered their craft or area of expertise to teach you how to get there yourself? It's beyond me why anyone would pass on that chance to simply learn.

Personally, when I hear the phrase "not everyone is cut out to go to college" I think this references close-minded impatient types that don't prioritize educating themselves in anything (not everyone who goes to college necessarily has a plan in mind, but at least are learning and developing somehow). Are there exceptions to this? Of course. Some of the world's billionaires were college or high school drop outs. But if you're asking me to explain my answer in regards to the average Joe, those are my opinions. It's a turnoff to date someone who doesn't understand or care for the value of learning in a college/vocational setting as a way to better yourself.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:

Personally, when I hear the phrase "not everyone is cut out to go to college" I think this references close-minded impatient types that don't prioritize educating themselves in anything (not everyone who goes to college necessarily has a plan in mind, but at least are learning and developing somehow). Are there exceptions to this? Of course. Some of the world's billionaires were college or high school drop outs. But if you're asking me to explain my answer in regards to the average Joe, those are my opinions. It's a turnoff to date someone who doesn't understand or care for the value of learning in a college/vocational setting as a way to better yourself.
I'm all for education, but the recent years have shown that having a degree doesn't guarantee anybody a good job or a good future. There are plenty of graduates working jobs that don't require a degree. An individual who has spent the college years working his way up may actually have better prospects. By the time he is 24 or 25 he has several years of experience in his job, instead of looking for his first job.

You don't have to go to college when you are 18. There are a lot of people retrain later in life.A guy without a degree can always return to college and study. My brother joined the Marine Corps when he was barely 18, and received his degree from UC Berkeley.

I have an art degree from one of the UC campus as well, but it doesn't really help me in the real world. College is a complete waste of time for me.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I'm all for education, but the recent years have shown that having a degree doesn't guarantee anybody a good job or a good future. There are plenty of graduates working jobs that don't require a degree. An individual who has spent the college years working his way up may actually have better prospects. By the time he is 24 or 25 he has several years of experience in his job, instead of looking for his first job.

You don't have to go to college when you are 18. There are a lot of people retrain later in life.A guy without a degree can always return to college and study. My brother joined the Marine Corps when he was barely 18, and received his degree from UC Berkeley.

I have an art degree from one of the UC campus as well, but it doesn't really help me in the real world. College is a complete waste of time for me.
I'm sorry to hear you feel it was a waste of time for you. I also have an art degree and the job market was tough when I got out, I got tired of going on all the interviews only to be offered freelance positions (small studio companies don't want to pay for full-time employee benefits in this economy), so I started my own business with the connections I made in school.

For me it's not an issue of whether I think someone will be able to make money or a future for themselves. Obviously that's very possible for driven individuals with or without a degree. For me it's an issue of whether you've spent a certain amount of time learning about the world and others, or more about whatever it is you want to expand your mind on. It's the intellectual aspect, not a question whether you'll be able to provide for yourself or a family without a degree. I just want to be clear on that because it would be silly to think you need a degree to land a job and work your way through a steady career.

I also didn't mention anything about an age bias. I would be completely open to dating someone older (in their 30s) that's in school. Joining the military out of high school just seems like a smart financial decision because student loan interest rates are so insanely high these days. Anything you can do to offset college costs down the line, even if it means delaying your education, is a good idea.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,751 times
Quote:
My reason is just a personal preference of an immigrant who was brought to this country to take advantage of an education. In my culture college isn't dumbed down to being a piece of paper that acknowledges you've spent a ton of money and time at a specific institution. It means you've worked hard to better your knowledge, discipline, experience and applied it to building a future for yourself. It's a growth and intellectual transformation done under the guidance of (hopefully) good mentors and academics. If someone feels that liberal arts, law, or medical school wasn't for them, there are schools that teach specialized curricula that only revolve around an interest you have. Why would you forgo having the opportunity for someone who has mastered their craft or area of expertise to teach you how to get there yourself? It's beyond me why anyone would pass on that chance to simply learn.

I've thought about college alot (trust me) the reason I can't bring myself to get go or get excited about it is because around where I live there is nothing for acting/film. Can't go out of state because I don't have enough money, (had trouble getting job in past because of epilepsy) So I decided to go the acting classes route

Old 11-07-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear you feel it was a waste of time for you. I also have an art degree and the job market was tough when I got out, I got tired of going on all the interviews only to be offered freelance positions (small studio companies don't want to pay for full-time employee benefits in this economy), so I started my own business with the connections I made in school.

For me it's not an issue of whether I think someone will be able to make money or a future for themselves. Obviously that's very possible for driven individuals with or without a degree. For me it's an issue of whether you've spent a certain amount of time learning about the world and others, or more about whatever it is you want to expand your mind on. It's the intellectual aspect, not a question whether you'll be able to provide for yourself or a family without a degree. .
I also have my own businesses. I do freelance on the side for fun. Bolded is where we differ.

I think we are who we are through experiences. According to the Constructivism theory, People construct their own understanding and knowledge of the world, through experiencing things and reflecting on those experiences.

Real life experiences do not require a college degree. It is all I am saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships