Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 08:42 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times

Advertisements

This is a new trendy thing where married couples terminate their vows, but unlike a divorce, they remain friends (at least act civil with each other). In the case of this one couple (click on link), they still live in the same house, have separate bedrooms, have their same joint account, but they are free to date others.

It doesn't have to be exactly like their version, but you get the point. Do you know anyone that has uncoupled? Is this a good idea or just a passing fad.... is it too much to expect of people when they reach that point?

Couple's 'Uncoupling' Ceremony Releases Them From Marriage, Without Getting Divorced - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 08:50 AM

One other thought, if there are children in the house, I wonder how they will feel about mom and dad dating others? Probably best not to bring the dates home.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:06 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
A couple I have known for many years, and was once quite friendly with have this arrangement. The hitch is that the husband found out that she had been having little mini affairs when she went periodically to visit her sick parents, and then after a some months she took a vacation of a month and through some stupid FB postings by others and her own carelessness it all came out.

She steadfastly denied that she had been doing this, even when confronted with all the evidence. But at that point proposed an uncouple-but-live-as-roommates solution. On the surface it works, as both she and her ex-husband work and the apartment is big enough for separate sleeping arrangements; but the fact that she is still lying about having been sleeping around has made her an object of contempt on his part and on the part of her two children in their early twenties. One of these lives at home too.

Neither one dates in the town where they live. I expect that within a couple of years she will just remove herself entirely from here and go back to where she came from. Perhaps it would work better if it had been a mutual agreement they had worked out before the poop hit the propeller.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
It's a TERRIBLE idea if there are kids in the house.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:30 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,272 times
Definitely not a good idea when children are involved, I can't see how
it would work even if there wasn't kids involved.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:19 PM

530 posts, read 902,616 times
Default Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Definitely not a good idea when children are involved, I can't see how
it would work even if there wasn't kids involved.

I'm right with you! Why would this seem like a good idea. Wow!

Old 11-09-2014, 04:17 AM

From what I've seen in some older family members, I think this is more common than we might think, especially after the kids have left home. They might not call it 'uncoupling,' and they might not actively date others, but all the other signs of a drifting apart are there, even though they're still under the same roof.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:19 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
I know a couple they were married more than 22 years but at the end they made their marriage to open relationship. Every thing do together they sleep together too have sex too but date others too. As they say since they have given the freedom to each other they live much happier than before.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:17 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
This approach mostly seems to be about not having to give up joint assets/remaining legally married for financial reasons.

I know several couples who divorced amicably; it's possible to not have an ugly split when terminating a marriage. All this is is ending a marriage in name only, not legally. Were I a single person, it's pretty unlikely that I would consider starting a relationship with somebody who is still legally married and lives with the spouse, but has a verbal agreement where they are "uncoupled."

Old 11-09-2014, 08:20 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,417 times
It's not for everybody...but it may work for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships