Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:18 PM

18 posts, read 61,409 times

Advertisements

Ladies, when you make eye contact with a man who is checking you out and you are NOT interested, will you continue to stare back at them till they look away or will you break eye contact first?

Normally, if I'm checking out a woman, she notices me looking at her, she starts to stare at me back with no expression on her face, I will STOP looking at her because I don't want to STARE or be told "what are you looking at!?" or "pervert!"

REASON why I'm asking is because I was with a friend and we noticed an attractive girl walking. She looked over at us while we were checking her out and she turned away. While we are driving away we pass by her again, "I" didn't want to stare at her or make her feel nervous so while passing her I didn't look at her. My friend kept checking her out and she eventually SMILED and waved HI to him?

Soooooo...I'm starting to second guess my actions. Am I looking away too early? Should I wave and say HI if a woman notices me checking her out and she stares back? I always got the impression that they are staring back as "WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?" attitude. Do women do that or is just fear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 06:44 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Do a side smile and say ,"Hi".

Old 11-13-2014, 06:52 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
I sometimes look out of the corner of my eye. But if eye contact happens, and we both know it, I usually turn away and go back to whatever I was previously doing. Because if he's that obvious in his staring, something tells me he won't care if I stare back. But I hate people staring at me, it's rude, and creepy. I normally use the stare back tactic toward younger people-teens and kids. It works sometimes, in that they get embarrassed and look away. lol

Old 11-13-2014, 07:01 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,441,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull23 View Post
Ladies, when you make eye contact with a man who is checking you out and you are NOT interested, will you continue to stare back at them till they look away or will you break eye contact first?

Normally, if I'm checking out a woman, she notices me looking at her, she starts to stare at me back with no expression on her face, I will STOP looking at her because I don't want to STARE or be told "what are you looking at!?" or "pervert!"

REASON why I'm asking is because I was with a friend and we noticed an attractive girl walking. She looked over at us while we were checking her out and she turned away. While we are driving away we pass by her again, "I" didn't want to stare at her or make her feel nervous so while passing her I didn't look at her. My friend kept checking her out and she eventually SMILED and waved HI to him?

Soooooo...I'm starting to second guess my actions. Am I looking away too early? Should I wave and say HI if a woman notices me checking her out and she stares back? I always got the impression that they are staring back as "WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?" attitude. Do women do that or is just fear?
Attractive women get stared at ALL THE TIME!!! If you are young and reasonably good looking yourself, and she decides to look back at you, then you MUST be a man and smile/wave say something to her. You are going to get shot down some of the time, but you have to take that chance. I think back on what a big pansy I was sometimes and just shake my head at the opportunities I accidentally passed up by not taking action. I wished I knew then what I know now!

Old 11-13-2014, 07:12 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
I sometimes look out of the corner of my eye. But if eye contact happens, and we both know it, I usually turn away and go back to whatever I was previously doing. Because if he's that obvious in his staring, something tells me he won't care if I stare back. But I hate people staring at me, it's rude, and creepy. I normally use the stare back tactic toward younger people-teens and kids. It works sometimes, in that they get embarrassed and look away. lol
This is kind of what I do too. It's not even a conscious thing, it's just automatic. I was at an out of town (across the country) cocktail party just last week and I was with a group of people. There was a man there that I liked well enough. He was very intelligent and funny... maybe a bit shy. I was friendly and talked to him/initiated conversation and all, smiled at his jokes (he was pretty witty, etc). But I didn't single him out either (also talked to other people too).

Anyway, near the end of the event I noticed him looking at me... pretty much standing there alone and staring--I have no idea how long before I noticed. When I noticed him looking at me, it gave me that flutter feeling (if you know what I mean). I looked him in the eye for a brief second, smiled and then looked away. I couldn't help it. It's like a reaction I can't help. He went back to talking to some guys he was with and I left not too long after that because it seemed like any moment was over (or maybe I imagined it) and my flight was the next morning and I needed to pack and get some sleep.

I guess that's my answer OP. I liked him, but I wouldn't look him in the eye. So maybe that's something? I guess I figured IF he was even interested in me at all, it would have been up to him to make a next move (after all, like I said, I already initiated conversation earlier/broke the ice with him). I never really thought about it much before except for your question and the recent eye contact incident I had.

Last edited by jillabean; 11-13-2014 at 07:21 PM..

Old 11-14-2014, 06:51 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull23 View Post

Much of seduction is non-verbal, and includes holding eye contact. I love when a guy looks at me like that. The person who looks away first IMO is the one who is submitting (seen very clearly in the animal kingdom but also happens with "human" animals...if she was interested, you'll never know because you dropped the ball.

IMO your biggest issue is that YOU feel shame in your sexuality and expressing desire even non-verbally. You are afraid of being called a pervert because maintaining eye contact makes you feel like a pervert for whatever reason. Explore the reasons for that, because your discomfort with women/sex is going to prevent women from feeling attraction to you.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:20 AM

248 posts, read 259,030 times
So if a woman makes eye contact while you're checking her out does it mean there's at least a chance she's into you? This happens to me fairly often but I usually don't do anything beyond that.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:25 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smisk View Post
So if a woman makes eye contact while you're checking her out does it mean there's at least a chance she's into you? This happens to me fairly often but I usually don't do anything beyond that.
I can speak for myself I don't really keep eye contact with people I'm not interested in unless we're actually having a conversation.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:33 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Sometimes I just kind of look at people from people watching, then there's those other times when you are legitimately kind of "watching/checking someone out."

When I was single, typically when they would look back I would talk to them if it was at a bar or something, and we were relatively close in distance. If they were across a big packed bar with 50 people in between you, well, maybe not haha.

Even though I'm happy and love my gf, sometimes I still myself watching people, heck, even semi-checking out lol. My gf does too, and she's usually one to point an attractive girl out before I do, especially at the gym. "did you see that chick nipping out?" "did you see that girls butt? wow" haha. Fortunately she notices that stuff too and never cares. However, sometimes even when I'm with her I still notice I have casually looked at women and they blatantly kind of stared me down. Happened bad last weekend at two bar, the same girl. We were at one, and she stared at me then smiled, then I went to another bar, and she was there too, and did the same thing. I obviously didn't do anything about it, but I know I could have if I was single, and that feeling is sort of refreshing

Old 11-14-2014, 08:12 AM

18 posts, read 61,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Much of seduction is non-verbal, and includes holding eye contact. I love when a guy looks at me like that. The person who looks away first IMO is the one who is submitting (seen very clearly in the animal kingdom but also happens with "human" animals...if she was interested, you'll never know because you dropped the ball.

IMO your biggest issue is that YOU feel shame in your sexuality and expressing desire even non-verbally. You are afraid of being called a pervert because maintaining eye contact makes you feel like a pervert for whatever reason. Explore the reasons for that, because your discomfort with women/sex is going to prevent women from feeling attraction to you.
I feel discomfort in staring at women "not ashamed" because women DO call guys perverts, creepers, jerks for checking them out or staring too long when the woman is not interested. I've had a girl tell me once "what are YOU looking at?" So out of courtesy and respect, I try not to stare at ANYONE.

Maybe I've let some of my negative past experiences hold me back from meeting more woman than I normally would of but that's just not my style to be so confrontational and stare someone down till they look away or break. To me it seems unnecessary.

Also I don't know what area you live in but that holding eye contact/animal kingdom stuff will get your ass kicked, stabbed or shot walking around doing that in my neighborhood. That's not an exaggeration either. I guarantee if you try it, someone will pull over and get out of their car to punch your face in so I don't recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships