Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 08:04 AM

7 posts, read 3,928 times

Advertisements

I met this girl in grad school. We started getting along and we had to do a few assignments together. We became friends, she got to know my friends and I got to know hers. We started going out together with other friends. So far, so good.

The problem I think she's getting a little too interested in me for a friend. She texts me in the morning asking if I'm okaym she texts me before going to bed to say goodnight, she texts me during the day if she saw or did something funny. Then she invited me to go out just the two of us together. I accepted because I also go out with other female friends and it means nothing. She tries to get too close to me when we go out together.

I suffer from OCD and bipolar disorder. The worst crisis are triggered by stress. That way I'm not advised to have any intimate relationships.

If she's truly into me, I feel like I'm giving her expectations that won't come true.

Is there a way to put a stop to this without ruining the friendship?

Thank you.

Last edited by MartinBG; 11-23-2014 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 09:11 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Tell her exactly what you just told us. In fact, you could copy and paste your post into an email message and send it to her.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Tell her exactly what you just told us. In fact, you could copy and paste your post into an email message and send it to her.
I'm too embarrassed to speak to her directly about this.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:58 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,012,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinBG View Post
I'm too embarrassed to speak to her directly about this.
otherwise for you no way out.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:16 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
You were advised wrongly. The advice you were given will simply result in your pleading stress as the cause of your isolating yourself and alienating others. Take your meds; get professional guidance about how to reduce your stress on your own; and stop waiting for the hammer to fall. Both conditions run in my near family.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:22 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
How did you react when she tried to get close to you? Did you freak out and act nervous and odd?

That is probably the best deterrent you have in your arsenal. Your obvious discomfort and awkwardness.

Failing that, get a note from your psychiatrist excusing you from all forms of emotional and physical intimacy.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:38 AM

341 posts, read 455,884 times
Haha. A doctor's note. That made me laugh out loud.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
You were advised wrongly. The advice you were given will simply result in your pleading stress as the cause of your isolating yourself and alienating others. Take your meds; get professional guidance about how to reduce your stress on your own; and stop waiting for the hammer to fall. Both conditions run in my near family.
I've tried meds but I can't afford sleeping 13 hours a day and the rest of time acting like I've had a stroke. My level of stress has to be carefully managed.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
How did you react when she tried to get close to you? Did you freak out and act nervous and odd?
I ignored it/acted like I wasn't aware of anything.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:01 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,643,129 times
What's the difference between you being together with her as a friend, and you being together with her as a friend and as a lover? You can't tolerate caring deeply about others because you're bipolar? Never heard of that.

You could just tell her the truth instead of being embarrassed and thinking of some way to fudge it. You can't lose with the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships