Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 10:47 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,578,811 times

Advertisements

Not going to lie if my wife let me cheat I'd be all over Jennifer Lawrence. Unfortunately for her my wife is not cool with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 11:38 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCuellar22 View Post
No you're insecure because you refuse to accept the fact that men are always going to want to screw other women. Just a fact of nature whether you like it or not. Deal with it. Less insecurity and worrying for me because I accept this fact.
This just gets sadder and sadder.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:00 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Now argue how I don't make sense.
You cherry pick a few examples and act like this shows that polygamy is what causes these things. I would also argue you are not making sense.

There are similarly multiple examples of people who escaped abusive partners and abusive marriages. Should we therefore declare "Many people are abused as a result of marriage?" - or should we step back and realise that that would be - as is your argument - a correlation error?

I do not see a single argument suggesting anyone has been abused as a result of polygamy. However if anyone has been forced into marriage or polygamy or sex or anything else against their will then that is indeed an abuse. But not the one you are claiming.

Any relationship form can harbour abuse - and it is an error to then declare that abuse was the result of that relationship form.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Men are actually capable of having sex without emotion.
As are women.

Quote:
Men's nature won't allow it.
The nature of some men. And some women. It is not all men. It is not absent in women. Your gender divisions are arbitrary nonsense.

Quote:
both follow important roles in life
No. They do not. Aside from their role in the biological act of reproduction - there are no other "role" differences between them.

Quote:
And also there is nothing wrong with a man who cheats.
Then you operate under a different meaning of "wrong" than I do - because under my definition deceit and lies and breaking of trust are all "wrong". You are just making it sound like you have been cheated on - and your way to deal with it emotionally is to justify the behaviour of the other.

Quote:
You can see this in women who worship male celebrities.
For every woman attracted to a given male celebrity - there are several who are simply not. So your attempt to build up some universality in what attracts others - is simply wrong.

Quote:
But men will never stop checking out other women its just in their nature.
There is no reason why they should stop. And women do it too. So again your gender divides are nonsense.

Quote:
When you try to trap a man it makes him pull away.
If you see relationships and monogamy as a "trap" then this might indeed be the root of the nonsense you are producing here. If that is how your relationships have felt - then you have my sympathy. The majority of us - male and female - do not feel we have trapped anyone or been trapped by anyone.

Quote:
Omg am I making sense here?
Not a bit no. And it is not your use of words that is the source of this. It is the nonsense ideas you are trying to express with them.

Quote:
Well most likely the ladies will just attack me. I dont see why men would have a problem with this.
Except I am male too - and I think everything you are saying is nonsense and the exact opposite of the reality I observe around me.

Quote:
No you're insecure
You are straying into ad hominem and personal attacks now. Very telling.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:39 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
And lol you still don't make any sense. You cannot blame what some sick ass child molesters and *******s did on polygamy. It has nothing to do with polygamy. By your logic any man willing to sleep outside of his marriage is a child molester and a woman beating *******? You're totally misconstruing everything. And that's because you're insecure. Oh well. Smh.
Polygamy in the FLDS, which is what I refer to, is rather different than a guy sleeping around. If you are going to argue, at least stick to what I'm actually saying, but I know that won't happen since you've decided to personally attack me instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
You cherry pick a few examples and act like this shows that polygamy is what causes these things. I would also argue you are not making sense.

There are similarly multiple examples of people who escaped abusive partners and abusive marriages. Should we therefore declare "Many people are abused as a result of marriage?" - or should we step back and realise that that would be - as is your argument - a correlation error?
I didn't elaborate on this before because I knew the OP wouldn't listen anyway.

Obviously, polygamy itself as a relationship form doesn't cause anything. Just like marriage doesn't cause abuse. The abuse is, however, a result of the culture surrounding polygamy in the FLDS in this part of the country. I'm not sure the FLDS religion actually says that you can abuse girls, but certain leaders in those sects have followed along with that notion anyway and caused it to be a problem.

Therefore, polygamy becoming legal in this country only has the precedent of what the FLDS has done with it, which is problematic. And most Americans wouldn't go for it.

Last edited by savoytruffle; 12-04-2014 at 09:52 AM..

Old 12-04-2014, 11:46 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejaentendu19 View Post
Not going to lie if my wife let me cheat I'd be all over Jennifer Lawrence. Unfortunately for her my wife is not cool with that.
I bet Jennifer Lawrence would be all over it though.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:15 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
IDK about you guys but this opinion the OP has is what you usually see from men on here. Don't usually get women on here with this type of opinion.

This thread is suspect.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Obviously, polygamy itself as a relationship form doesn't cause anything. Just like marriage doesn't cause abuse. The abuse is, however, a result of the culture surrounding polygamy in the FLDS in this part of the country.
That is certainly a useful back pedal for sure. As you say - it is simply an error to ascribe polygamy as a cause of any such negativity.

If some culture AROUND polygamy however is causing harm then that is certainly something worth addressing. But it is an error to direct those concerns at polygamy itself.

Simply if a harmful culture builds up around _anything_ then we should address that culture, not the something it has built up around. Certainly we should in no way indict that something.

It sounds like you have an issue with FLDS. Not polygamy at all.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:01 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Quote:
Exactly this is what I wish women would understand that just because your man cheats on you does not mean he doesn't love you. Men are actually capable of having sex without emotion. In an ideal world with no diseases (STDs. Where did STDs come from anyway??) I wouldn't mind if my man had slept around on me, as long as I am the number one woman in his life (wife) it won't matter. Folks just try to imagine a society that's just strictly monogamous. It won't work out. Men's nature won't allow it. And what's wrong with that? :/
I'm now going to tell you that you're not the only one with this opinion. My wife has said that if it weren't for STDs, she wouldn't mind me doing other women.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:07 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
That is certainly a useful back pedal for sure. As you say - it is simply an error to ascribe polygamy as a cause of any such negativity.

If some culture AROUND polygamy however is causing harm then that is certainly something worth addressing. But it is an error to direct those concerns at polygamy itself.

Simply if a harmful culture builds up around _anything_ then we should address that culture, not the something it has built up around. Certainly we should in no way indict that something.

It sounds like you have an issue with FLDS. Not polygamy at all.
I haven't backpedaled at all. That was my opinion the entire time, I just didn't care to go into all the details to an OP who kept calling me insecure and distorting my arguments. You are clearly in the mood to argue over nothing so excuse me if I don't care to indulge you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships