Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 07:36 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,987 times

Advertisements

Does anyone take serious consideration regarding religion, spirituality, and morals when it comes to long term relationships? Is this even something you consider when evaluating if someone might be good long-term material?

Now I'm not advocating someone that necessarily stays in church day and night but at least being on the same page when it comes to how you conduct yourself. We all know practicing a religion or just going to church does not automatically make you a good person. There are bad people that occupy pews every Saturday/Sunday and are attending church for their own motives.

If you do not share the same morals/spirituality, Where is the system of checks and balances exist in a relationship?

Your religion dictates not to lie or present yourself falsely to another and your partner says hey,anything goes.
Your religion dictates infidelity is not permitted in your marriage. Your partner believes what he/she doesn't know won't hurt him/her.
Your religion dictates to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. You have a kind loving spirit with a giving nature for the needs of your partner. Your partner will lie and use anyone to get what they want and takes without consideration for anyone's needs besides their own.

What are your thoughts on the importance of spirituality/religion/morals when evaluating a potential long term relationship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 08:02 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,214,087 times
They are quite important for me. I'm Hindu and we do have strict religious policies to follow.

Now, at a personal level I'm ok having a GF from any religion. But as far as marriage is concerned, religious/moral compliance plays a big role because when one marries another person, they also develop closer connections with the family.

When 2 families cant agree upon many common points, then there are many issues that arise. Though the married couple is happy, both families who don't like being with each other force them to separate. There is a lot of external pressure in such a scenario, though internal forces agree. But then again, if your heart is strong (and not weak like mine), then its possible to fight by your SO's side in the name of love against family desires and religious compliance.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 11-29-2014 at 08:34 AM..

Old 11-29-2014, 09:15 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
I greatly value someone with very similar and high values and ethics, but completely avoid anyone with strong religious convictions. IMO, some religious people have a skewed moral code that allows them to view or treat some groups unethically. Also, as a Buddhist/atheist, I prefer someone who has a very relaxed view of spirituality, and is preferably atheist, agnostic, etc. I've happily dated people with relaxed religious views if they do not proselytize or attempt to change my views.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:36 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
Does anyone take serious consideration regarding religion, spirituality, and morals when it comes to long term relationships? Is this even something you consider when evaluating if someone might be good long-term material?

Now I'm not advocating someone that necessarily stays in church day and night but at least being on the same page when it comes to how you conduct yourself. We all know practicing a religion or just going to church does not automatically make you a good person. There are bad people that occupy pews every Saturday/Sunday and are attending church for their own motives.

If you do not share the same morals/spirituality, Where is the system of checks and balances exist in a relationship?

Your religion dictates not to lie or present yourself falsely to another and your partner says hey,anything goes.
Your religion dictates infidelity is not permitted in your marriage. Your partner believes what he/she doesn't know won't hurt him/her.
Your religion dictates to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. You have a kind loving spirit with a giving nature for the needs of your partner. Your partner will lie and use anyone to get what they want and takes without consideration for anyone's needs besides their own.

What are your thoughts on the importance of spirituality/religion/morals when evaluating a potential long term relationship?
I want someone who's similar to me in terms of spirituality. I'm not religious, and I don't want someone religious. In my most ideal world- someone who was raised in a strict devout religion like me and opposes it now (perhaps not all aspects, just the fascist elements), but appreciates how they were raised.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:44 AM

957 posts, read 1,060,715 times
It's not.

I'm an atheist but I don't care about it really. I'll date causally religious woman, but I don't think I could date the type that goes to church every week and lets "God" dictate their actions. Most people don't know I'm a atheist, I don't advertise it. It's just how I was raised and what I believe. I don't care about politics either, unless someone is a super ignorant redneck.

So long as you're a decent human being I don't care what you believe, just don't be all crazy about it. =)

Old 11-29-2014, 09:57 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
I'm not sure that religion and ethics are always closely related. The existence of a God is one thing; ethics another. Ethics based on authority or metaphysics, and not on experience, do not appeal to me. Beliefs in the supernatural, by themselves, do not bother me, at all, as long as they are not tied to ethical systems. I can certainly live with the Hindu faith. I suspect there are other faiths for which i could say the same thing.

As far as a partner is concerned, I don't want religious or political beliefs to come between us. We can converse about ethical beliefs, as long as they are not based on religion or metaphysics.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:42 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,273,755 times
Very.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:46 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
It's not important at all for me.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:47 PM

285 posts, read 301,638 times
I don't think religion would have any influence on me when choosing a partner, but moral compatibility definitely would.
Two people can share more or less the same moral values while practicing different religions so what church someone goes to has no impact on my judgements

Old 11-30-2014, 04:37 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Religion and morality all come down to values. No matter what your religious affiliation (or lack thereof), values are very important. They don't have to be exactly the same, but the core values have to be pretty close....like 80% IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships