Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 03:17 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times

Advertisements

I disagree with what the OP says. I've read many online dating profiles made by women(maybe) and I don't read too many super narrow preferences. I've read what they prefer, I've read that hey have certain attractions to things, but I haven't read too many "Must have blond hair, blue eyes, about 6' tall, abs like jesus, drives a sports car, a large member, make 6 figures, and does all the housework."

I do admit that I have read the "Must be tall" preference in most profiles though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 03:29 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I disagree with what the OP says. I've read many online dating profiles made by women(maybe) and I don't read too many super narrow preferences. I've read what they prefer, I've read that hey have certain attractions to things, but I haven't read too many "Must have blond hair, blue eyes, about 6' tall, abs like jesus, drives a sports car, a large member, make 6 figures, and does all the housework."

I do admit that I have read the "Must be tall" preference in most profiles though.
I saw a "must be amphibious" one, once. I'll let you know if it comes up again.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:34 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times
I have a very specific range. I admit it. For instance if I posted an ad, it might say I prefer an over 5ft10, athletic-fit, outgoing, educated male, preferably black and between the age of 25-30. Is it ruling out a lot of men? Yes. But is it honest and what I actually want, yep. Now where the problem begins is if the narrowed target is achievable for the person that wants it. You can be as specific and as narrow as you want, but if you can't attract or get men in this criteria then it becomes a bit unrealistic and limiting. A lot of times there are people in delusion about dating-they want XYZ, but either they lack what they want, or they can't attract what they want and yet they still keep up parameters and don't meet men that would otherwise be great for them.
Perhaps this women is being overly narrow and limiting herself from meeting really good men... On the other hand maybe she is aware that her preferences are narrow, but has success meeting men that meet her narrowness and therefore she continues her standards, knowing full well she weeds out a lot of men..
But do most women operate like this? No. I have plenty of friends that might be specific about some things, but aren't so narrow, that tons of men don't stand a chance. The truth from what I've observed is that a lot of people are open to different types and aren't so rigid... The ones that are very rigid seem to represent a smaller pool of the dating population. And honestly usually once they start to realize that they might be limiting themselves, they tend to open up to more possibilities.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:39 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,208,115 times
Some women, yes. They want a specific type just to have sex with. It's no different with guys.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:48 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post

That's pretty common in Chicago. What's weird is girls that are 5'4" request a guy that is 6'. I'm a tad over 6' and I can't be with a girl that is 8 inches shorter than me unless she is going to be wearing 6 inch heels most of the time.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:53 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I saw a "must be amphibious" one, once. I'll let you know if it comes up again.

Maybe he wanted to date a scuba diver?

Wait, That's me! I'm amphibious!

Old 12-11-2014, 04:03 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That's pretty common in Chicago. What's weird is girls that are 5'4" request a guy that is 6'. I'm a tad over 6' and I can't be with a girl that is 8 inches shorter than me unless she is going to be wearing 6 inch heels most of the time.
So, it's weird that someone 5'4" wants someone your height but it's not weird that you can't be with someone 5'4"?

Old 12-11-2014, 04:58 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Saw a 34 year old woman whose online dating profile stated, "I only go for cute bald/shaved Hispanic guys from age 33 to 39, so if you don't meet this criteria don't waste your time."

No wonder online dating is a waste of time for guys. Most guys also have their likes/dislikes but they are usually guidelines, not hard and fast rules. I think most men are more flexible and open minded in this regard....
I have parameters, but not that hardcore! Haha! And people say I'm picky. Now I feel a little better.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:01 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
So, it's weird that someone 5'4" wants someone your height but it's not weird that you can't be with someone 5'4"?
Are you smoking crack? Two different angles. He was talking about compatability (he is tall) where as short(er) women with extreme height requirements are no different than guys with large breast requirements ("36 double D"). But hey, at least women can buy breasts...guys are pretty much stuck with the height they are given at birth.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:06 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Saw a 34 year old woman whose online dating profile stated, "I only go for cute bald/shaved Hispanic guys from age 33 to 39, so if you don't meet this criteria don't waste your time."

No wonder online dating is a waste of time for guys. Most guys also have their likes/dislikes but they are usually guidelines, not hard and fast rules. I think most men are more flexible and open minded in this regard....
It's not a waste of time if she tells you exactly what she wants. If you don't fit her criteria...move on!! A waste of time is when she lollygags about it all and then, after a few dates, she finally tells you what she wants.

[honesty is the best policy]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships