Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 893 times

Advertisements

After splitting with my partner of 16 yrs approximatly, around 18 mths ago, she has now decided to move to the other side of the country, we have 2 children girl age 13 boy age 10 and she plans to take my children with her, my daughter is adamant that she wants to stay with me and under no circumstances want to leave the area she now lives, we did move to the place in question several years ago and hated every minute of it my son was not much happier, I'm currently unemployed Her mother is a teaching assistant, her plans are to move in to a property which her parents are going to provide for her, her parents are extremely rich and own several hotels pubs and other properties, I can't compete with them financially but my daughter is currently living with me in rented but secure accommodation I take and collect her from school every day always clean and tidy and on time, my son says he doesn't want to go but at that age he is very influential and they can spoil him or get him anything he likes where I cant, he often after visiting comes home with new clothes toys and games and seems to be wavering towards going with his mother, his mother has a new partner of approximately 6 months who works in another part of the country. In my opinion I don't think it appropriate that she can be able to take my son who I have brought up for 10 yrs to live with her new partner who she only sees on weekends and holidays, does my daughter have any say in where she stays at 13 or will she automatically be given custardy of her mother. When the move goes ahead I will find it extremely hard to see them as its a 180 mile trip and her parents own the only hotel in the area so there would be no way I could go and spend weekends with them infact I would find it extremely hard just to afford the travel arrangements if I loose my children I have nothing else to live for I have secure accommodation but not the bank ballance of her family. Basically can anyone tell me for definite does my daughter have a say in which parent she wishes to stay with or will the courts automatically grant her full custody because if this happens I'll never get to see my children and stand to loose my home as it would be classed as to large for me to live alone so I stand to loose everything I have built up while living at the property DOES MY DAUGHTER HAVE ANY SAY IN WHICH PARENT SHE LIVES WITH AT THE AGE OF 13 if anyone knows for sure just what my rights are pls mail or post reply thanks in advance Vincent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 06:53 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Where do you live? It depends on the laws there.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:54 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,743,263 times
This is a legal issue that we can't answer for you sorry. You need to consult a lawyer.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:00 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Generally these days the courts consider what's best for the child, and they consult the child. And it's not all about money, it's about the quality of the bond, how stable a home the parent can provide, and that sort of thing. Do you drink or smoke? Are you able to support whatever extracurricular activities your daughter participates in or would like to do? (Your ex should be contributing to this.) Is she getting good grades, is there a good study environment in the home? Are you a good role model?

If she's currently living with you, why would she move, anyway? If you have full custody, why would that change? Is your ex preparing to go to court to get the custody arrangement changed? The court may prefer to keep the child where she's accustomed to living, especially if that's what the child wants, rather than causing disruption, taking the child away from her friends, school, etc. You can always try the argument that kids are vulnerable in these early teen years, and need stability at home and with their peer group/school.

If you can't afford a lawyer, look for a free law clinic staffed by volunteer lawyers or advanced law students. Don't panic. It's not always money that talks. Sometimes, love talks. You already passed muster with the courts once, obviously. So you can do it again.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-13-2014 at 07:11 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 06:31 AM

57 posts, read 63,395 times
Where do you live? In my state a parent cannot move out of state with the children unless agreed to by other parent and the permission of the court.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:48 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coverdog View Post
Where do you live? In my state a parent cannot move out of state with the children unless agreed to by other parent and the permission of the court.
Most of the time it's outside of the counties much less across the state.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:41 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coverdog View Post
That is usually spelled out in the details of divorce, right? If they were never married, they never divorced, and he might not even be listed as father on the children's birth certificates. Who knows?

Questions for the OP: I'm wondering how you are supporting your children if you're unemployed, and why would you "lose your house" if your daughter moves out?

It kind of sounds like you have your daughter living with you so that you can receive public assistance and housing, and you don't want her to be with her mother (despite her better ability to provide) because you will lose public assistance.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:18 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
That is usually spelled out in the details of divorce, right? If they were never married, they never divorced, and he might not even be listed as father on the children's birth certificates. Who knows?

Questions for the OP: I'm wondering how you are supporting your children if you're unemployed, and why would you "lose your house" if your daughter moves out?

It kind of sounds like you have your daughter living with you so that you can receive public assistance and housing, and you don't want her to be with her mother (despite her better ability to provide) because you will lose public assistance.
Could be that he gets child support and alimony from his ex. If she takes their daughter with her, he'd lose much of that support.

He said the daughter wants to stay with him. It doesn't sound like he's using her.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:31 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Could be that he gets child support and alimony from his ex. If she takes their daughter with her, he'd lose much of that support.

He said the daughter wants to stay with him. It doesn't sound like he's using her.
But if there was no marriage, there would be no divorce (and hence, no child support and/or alimony) unless one partner sued the other party for it. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Either way, he needs to seek legal advise.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:36 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
But if there was no marriage, there would be no divorce (and hence, no child support and/or alimony) unless one partner sued the other party for it. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Either way, he needs to seek legal advise.
2 different issues.

Divorce is a division of asset issue.
CS is just child support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships