Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 09:14 AM

270 posts, read 283,121 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

Since we have been discussing OLD some in other posts, and since there are always newbies to this lifestyle, be it the very young, or those out of long-term relationships, who have not dated in years or even decades, I thought I'd start a thread about red flags in dating profiles, information that the inexperienced would perhaps overlook, but preferably should pay attention to before proceeding. I'll start with some of mine.

1. Sunglasses in your major profile pic: I don't mind them on your head, but please show your face in its entirety.
2. Belly shots: why would I even look at your profile? It's clear what you're after.
3. Posing with kids: I'm not sure I like the idea of exposing your (underage) offspring to dating sites to show what a great parent you are (are you?), or how beautiful your kids are (their looks have nothing to do with your personality). Do they know they are part of your profile? Do you have boundaries?
4. "I'm honest/trustworthy/faithful/sincere/funny/...": these are parameters that I would like to see realized in your actions before I put the seal of approval on you. I have found that those who load up their profiles with these noble traits tend to lack them, and often, you will not find out early enough. I'd rather see them tell stories of past experiences that would show these traits, or just express themselves in ways that would allow me to see that kind of person in them. But just those traits, in an otherwise non-descript or self-centered profile is a red flag for me.
5. "I don't know what to say about myself", or different versions thereof: smacks of emptiness or lack of self-awareness.
6. No pic: and then requesting responses with photos only. Seriously?
7. Huge age discrepancy between the poster and the pool they would like to fish in.
8. Big car/insert status symbol of choice in the background: what are you compensating for with these items? Insecurities much?
9. Old photos: no comment
10. Overly flowery text, improper or awkward English, or just a mere gut feeling that something is odd with this profile - scammer alert. You'd be surprised how many folks still fall for them.

What are your red flags or pet peeves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 09:18 AM

150 posts, read 172,153 times
Just ask me!

Old 01-01-2015, 09:42 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
I have a whole list of red flags that go out the door if they are a hot Latina.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:43 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times
I agree with #1. Lose the cheaters! Wearing 'em puts the other person at a psychological disadvantage.
Also, I don't care if you like motorcycles, but if you don't own one, for heaven's sake, don't pose yourself on the biggest Harley you find.
Not smiling. This gives the impression that you're a miserable person (unhappy, blame the world for your troubles).
Not to sound prejudiced or racist, but save the Spanish for the Latino sites. It's okay if you're bilingual, but post your profile in English!

Old 01-01-2015, 10:58 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,208,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibuddy3 View Post
Greetings!

Since we have been discussing OLD some in other posts, and since there are always newbies to this lifestyle, be it the very young, or those out of long-term relationships, who have not dated in years or even decades, I thought I'd start a thread about red flags in dating profiles, information that the inexperienced would perhaps overlook, but preferably should pay attention to before proceeding. I'll start with some of mine.

1. Sunglasses in your major profile pic: I don't mind them on your head, but please show your face in its entirety.
2. Belly shots: why would I even look at your profile? It's clear what you're after.
3. Posing with kids: I'm not sure I like the idea of exposing your (underage) offspring to dating sites to show what a great parent you are (are you?), or how beautiful your kids are (their looks have nothing to do with your personality). Do they know they are part of your profile? Do you have boundaries?
4. "I'm honest/trustworthy/faithful/sincere/funny/...": these are parameters that I would like to see realized in your actions before I put the seal of approval on you. I have found that those who load up their profiles with these noble traits tend to lack them, and often, you will not find out early enough. I'd rather see them tell stories of past experiences that would show these traits, or just express themselves in ways that would allow me to see that kind of person in them. But just those traits, in an otherwise non-descript or self-centered profile is a red flag for me.
5. "I don't know what to say about myself", or different versions thereof: smacks of emptiness or lack of self-awareness.
6. No pic: and then requesting responses with photos only. Seriously?
7. Huge age discrepancy between the poster and the pool they would like to fish in.
8. Big car/insert status symbol of choice in the background: what are you compensating for with these items? Insecurities much?
9. Old photos: no comment
10. Overly flowery text, improper or awkward English, or just a mere gut feeling that something is odd with this profile - scammer alert. You'd be surprised how many folks still fall for them.

What are your red flags or pet peeves?

Maybe they're letting people know that they have kids and they're proud of it. Instead of finding out they have kids later on in the courting process, you know right out the bat. I don't think it's a bad idea IMO.

I don't do online dating but I could imagine using filters and certain angles as your profile picture can be manipulating and deceiving.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I agree with #1. Lose the cheaters! Wearing 'em puts the other person at a psychological disadvantage.
Also, I don't care if you like motorcycles, but if you don't own one, for heaven's sake, don't pose yourself on the biggest Harley you find.
Not smiling. This gives the impression that you're a miserable person (unhappy, blame the world for your troubles).
Not to sound prejudiced or racist, but save the Spanish for the Latino sites. It's okay if you're bilingual, but post your profile in English!

That does sound kind of petty. Just because you cannot read or speak spanish, people shouldn't write in their native language? (I'm assuming that you cannot speak or write in spanish) Well, I guess this is YOUR pet peeve but I find that very peculiar.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:15 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I have a whole list of red flags that go out the door if they are a hot Latina.
Yes Lawd.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:20 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizo916 View Post
Maybe they're letting people know that they have kids and they're proud of it. Instead of finding out they have kids later on in the courting process, you know right out the bat. I don't think it's a bad idea IMO.

I don't do online dating but I could imagine using filters and certain angles as your profile picture can be manipulating and deceiving.
There's no way I'd put pics of my children on an OLD site. That's just tacky. I agree with the OP on that one.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
There's no way I'd put pics of my children on an OLD site. That's just tacky. I agree with the OP on that one.
I never done online dating so i don' know their social protocol. I don't see the harm in it but everyone has different viewpoints.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:43 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
1) No body shot = fat
2) Laundry list of preferences = high maintenance
3) Laundry list of exclusions = gullible
4) Exclusively group pictures = they only dress up when their friends do
5) No profile = I'm only here for the ego boost, not to find anyone
6) If they're profile sounds angry, THEY'RE ANGRY, and most likely bitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships