Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 4,304 times

Advertisements

hello I need a bit of advice. I am newly engaged to a man who is a professor and assistant coach at an Ivy League University where we live.My fiance makes it a point to always remind me that he has a status to up hold for his job and his fellow colleagues.He also makes it a point to brag to me about the schools they attended in all of their degrees. Needless to say he and his colleagues are well to do. I on the other hand grew up in an upper middle class environment, and did not attend college. He will not take me to any of the University's social functions or to any of the sports events he coaches. He went as far as getting me a job at the University but my hours and his are such that we will never be at work at the same time.I don't understand I never pursued him he pursued me he asked me to move in with him and he asked me to marry him. What's wrong with this picture? I mean seriously am I missing something here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 11:36 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,430,828 times
What are you missing?
The center of the doorway. Turn around, aim at the center and walk out, and either be content without a fiancé or find a real man who isn't an insufferable putz. Best wishes.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:37 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,298,398 times
If he is ashamed of you as his wife, he is not good enough to marry. Period.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:39 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,299,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylivia View Post
hello I need a bit of advice. I am newly engaged to a man who is a professor and assistant coach at an Ivy League University where we live.My fiance makes it a point to always remind me that he has a status to up hold for his job and his fellow colleagues.He also makes it a point to brag to me about the schools they attended in all of their degrees. Needless to say he and his colleagues are well to do. I on the other hand grew up in an upper middle class environment, and did not attend college. He will not take me to any of the University's social functions or to any of the sports events he coaches. He went as far as getting me a job at the University but my hours and his are such that we will never be at work at the same time.I don't understand I never pursued him he pursued me he asked me to move in with him and he asked me to marry him. What's wrong with this picture? I mean seriously am I missing something here?
Tell him that if he doesn't introduce you to his colleagues as his fiance, then the wedding is off.

It's pretty straightforward, really.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:40 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,035,998 times
Sounds rather disrespectful to me. Not someone I would want to marry.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:41 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,290,934 times
As someone who grew up upper middle class, you were probably taught that talking about status is a no no.....This will make his "point to brag" very unappealing. You were probably taught that when a person needs to mention their status to those around them, that status isn't much to note. But you are polite and won't ever call anyone out on such a social demerit. IMO, he has insecurity issues to the point that it's effecting the way he treats you. He needs to get some help from his professor buddies, to help him overcome his weakness. I wouldn't get married until he gets help.....

Old 01-07-2015, 11:43 AM

307 posts, read 246,435 times
Run, run away as fast as you can. He sees you as less than him and probably always will.

This is not how a marriage is supposed to work. A real man looks up to his wife just as she should look up to him.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:43 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,004,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
What are you missing?
The center of the doorway. Turn around, aim at the center and walk out, and either be content without a fiancé or find a real man who isn't an insufferable putz. Best wishes.
^^^^^^

Old 01-07-2015, 11:44 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,401,264 times
It's very strange that a professor would also be an assistant coach on the college level, especially in the Ivy league whose athletic programs are usually nationally ranked. Why, it's almost unbelievable.....

Old 01-07-2015, 11:45 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Wow, OP, WOW!

Unfortunately, you're engaged to a jerk. And btw, if you have the option, I'd choose to go to college and get a degree now, if I were you. Heck, get two! Get an MA, if you find a field that really speaks to you.

Not all academics are like your fiance. A few desperate souls cling to the status thing, which is mostly all in their minds. A lot of others are great people who don't care about status. I'm sorry this happened to you. Keep the job (if he doesn't sabotage it), but lose the fiance. You deserve so much better! And with a university job, you can take classes in your spare time. Get yourself an education, so you won't be dependent on false Princes Charming coming along to pay your bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships