Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 01:03 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,028,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post

My pet peeve is wasting time- all the messages, all the ridiculous, lame, constant, stupid messages...
Such b.s.
Thats all OLD is, on every level.
People out there are delusional, thinking they're some great prize-
they build themselves up & then ya meet them....
And Omg

I do it the old fashioned way, lol
I let them approach me IRL.
Then we both know exactly what we're getting into

Odd, I found I knew much more about the men I met on OLD as opposed to the random guys who asked me out on a day-to-day basis. At least on OLD I could chat with them longer than with some guy asking for my number.

A lot of nuts on OLD? Sure. A lot of nuts in real life too. I really can't see how someone can say one way is better than another to MEET people. "Ohhhh.... you met your guy in a bar?!!! That's not nearly as good as meeting a guy in a supermarket! Still it's better than meeting them in a soup line, and all of those are below meeting someone at an art gallery."

And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 02:33 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,915,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PachucodeOro View Post
Ehh I think it's weird never done it before...I just don't want people to know that I met my girl online. But no girl is giving me a chance out here, maybe I should try one of those websites out?
I tried it for the first time this past fall for a couple months. I messaged back and forth with a lot of women, but due to the hectic work schedule, was only able to meet up and go on dates with a few, and they were cool people even though no relationships formed.

I used to think it was weird too, but so many people use OLD now, and if you have a busy work schedule it's about the easiest way to meet people. When my work schedule becomes less hectic in the spring/summer, I plan on trying it again because it worked really well the first time.

The only thing that is awkward is when people ask how you met, and you have to explain that you met online. Not that it should be, but if a bunch of other couples have cool stories and you say you met online, it can be a little awkward. In the end, the goal is finding someone, so you just have to get over any stigmas anyone might have.

~one funny story...I was out with the girl that I met online for a 2nd date, and we were in this small restaurant. We were sitting right next to a couple that met online and was on their first date. It was really awkward, but we both had a good laugh out of it, lol.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:44 PM

356 posts, read 366,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I tried it for the first time this past fall for a couple months. I messaged back and forth with a lot of women, but due to the hectic work schedule, was only able to meet up and go on dates with a few, and they were cool people even though no relationships formed.

I used to think it was weird too, but so many people use OLD now, and if you have a busy work schedule it's about the easiest way to meet people. When my work schedule becomes less hectic in the spring/summer, I plan on trying it again because it worked really well the first time.

The only thing that is awkward is when people ask how you met, and you have to explain that you met online. Not that it should be, but if a bunch of other couples have cool stories and you say you met online, it can be a little awkward. In the end, the goal is finding someone, so you just have to get over any stigmas anyone might have.

~one funny story...I was out with the girl that I met online for a 2nd date, and we were in this small restaurant. We were sitting right next to a couple that met online and was on their first date. It was really awkward, but we both had a good laugh out of it, lol.
Yeah I guess your right...but for some reason meeting someone on Facebook is not akward. I guess because everyone has an account? But hey what websites do you recommend?

Old 01-18-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Odd, I found I knew much more about the men I met on OLD as opposed to the random guys who asked me out on a day-to-day basis. At least on OLD I could chat with them longer than with some guy asking for my number.

A lot of nuts on OLD? Sure. A lot of nuts in real life too. I really can't see how someone can say one way is better than another to MEET people. "Ohhhh.... you met your guy in a bar?!!! That's not nearly as good as meeting a guy in a supermarket! Still it's better than meeting them in a soup line, and all of those are below meeting someone at an art gallery."

Good points. I think a lot of it depends on what the 'traditional way' means. If it means meeting someone at a bar or randomly meeting someone where sparks fly, I think you would be able to know a lot more basic information from someone on OLD. Although, I guess I can see where there are certain personality traits or more tangible qualities that you may not be able to pickup online that you could in real life.

If traditional is meaning someone who you have known for a while either as friends or within your social circle/recreation group/church/etc., then in that case you'd definitely know more about them from the get-go than someone you met OLD.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PachucodeOro View Post
Yeah I guess your right...but for some reason meeting someone on Facebook is not akward. I guess because everyone has an account? But hey what websites do you recommend?
I agree. For me the actual dating websites seemed more awkward than something like Facebook. The more I found out how many other people I knew were using OLD, the less I really cared though (although it still is a little awkward).

I've only tried Match, and had a really good experience. The women that I met were nice, normal people.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:06 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,397,505 times
The advantage of online dating is just one: you know the other person is lookin' as well.

But in the end nothin' can substitute real life interaction.

However I've noticed that unlike real life in online dating the expectations are unrealistic.

Therefore:

Pros: You have a source of potential mates

Cons: In the end you don't really know anybody until you meet her in real life.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:05 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,652,677 times
well I've been on about four paid dating sites ... out of this only one real date.. a girl I'm talking to now..

cute girl.. very sweet.. shares the same faith.. although.. The poor girl has a diagnosis of schizophrenia and bipolar.

Today we were hanging out .. one minute we're cuddling.. the next minute she's backing off like I've touched her wrong asking me who I am asking for her mom.

I'm not sure I'm cut out for this.

my experience has been terrible.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:27 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,957,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post
The advantage of online dating is just one: you know the other person is lookin' as well.

But in the end nothin' can substitute real life interaction.

However I've noticed that unlike real life in online dating the expectations are unrealistic.

Therefore:

Pros: You have a source of potential mates

Cons: In the end you don't really know anybody until you meet her in real life.
True dat.The Force is strong with this one.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:27 AM

514 posts, read 766,150 times
Online dating is terrible because you learn too much about someone too quickly. I can be very attracted to someone physically and maybe even emotionally but then I read that one weird sentence at the bottom of their profile and it completely turns me off from them. In normal circumstances that weirdness wouldn't reveal itself until much later and by that time I might be able to overlook it for other attributes. But I never get to that point because I just skip the person and move onward.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:55 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,075,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post

TL;DR? Want to turn on a guy? Be cute, cuddly, feminine and whisper in his ear that you want to make gorgeous kids with him. Don't be a bro. Most guys have enough of those. That is it.

Ugh. No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships