Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 09:54 AM

864 posts, read 1,456,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post
The advantage of online dating is just one: you know the other person is lookin' as well.
Looking for WHAT is the question. It's been my experience that guys who are seriously looking for a relationship are few and far between. Guys who are looking for a hookup/casual flung/FWB situation constitute the majority, at least in my area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 10:25 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,903,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
Looking for WHAT is the question. It's been my experience that guys who are seriously looking for a relationship are few and far between. Guys who are looking for a hookup/casual flung/FWB situation constitute the majority, at least in my area.
I agree. This whole idea that most people are looking for a relationship is a myth. Most I came across were either looking for sex or just friends which may or may not be a relationship. Quite a few of these guys were married.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:30 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,800,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I really can't see how someone can say one way is better than another to MEET people. "Ohhhh.... you met your guy in a bar?!!! That's not nearly as good as meeting a guy in a supermarket! Still it's better than meeting them in a soup line, and all of those are below meeting someone at an art gallery."

The number of people that legitimately feel this way (that you're referring to) is HUGE. More common than not, I'd even say.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:43 PM

318 posts, read 516,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post

I agree. This whole idea that most people are looking for a relationship is a myth. Most I came across were either looking for sex or just friends which may or may not be a relationship. Quite a few of these guys were married.

.... Am agreeing as well, though in all honesty- my intermittent searching over the years was always with a relationship in mind. Most gals appeared to be after "security", which almost always translated to wealth, etc. Most guys appeared to be after prolific sowing of seed (my 2 women friends made from over the years OLD have stressed this to me). Security comes from within, not without.

.... Another interesting tidbit is the fact that once I'd gone through all profiles at GreenSingles for a few weeks in an age range + or - 6 years of my age (was 56 at the time). Then my search range was set from 18 to 99 just to see what would happen. Wadayaknow? So interesting it was, as the total number of profiles swelled maybe 20%, that's it. Hmmm........

.... Am stressing this again, as it's quite important, in my estimation, especially if you happen to actually be seeking a relationship: Look through the profiles on a on line dating website & take careful note of the person's written words about themselves & what they are looking for, as most of them will begin virtually each & every sentence with "I"! That should be a really big clue, people.

.... Thanks. Happy hunting, people.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:55 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,840,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandHills View Post
.... Am agreeing as well, though in all honesty- my intermittent searching over the years was always with a relationship in mind. Most gals appeared to be after "security", which almost always translated to wealth, etc. Most guys appeared to be after prolific sowing of seed (my 2 women friends made from over the years OLD have stressed this to me). Security comes from within, not without.

.... Another interesting tidbit is the fact that once I'd gone through all profiles at GreenSingles for a few weeks in an age range + or - 6 years of my age (was 56 at the time). Then my search range was set from 18 to 99 just to see what would happen. Wadayaknow? So interesting it was, as the total number of profiles swelled maybe 20%, that's it. Hmmm........

.... Am stressing this again, as it's quite important, in my estimation, especially if you happen to actually be seeking a relationship: Look through the profiles on a on line dating website & take careful note of the person's written words about themselves & what they are looking for, as most of them will begin virtually each & every sentence with "I"! That should be a really big clue, people.

.... Thanks. Happy hunting, people.

What else are they supposed to write in a paragraph about themselves?

Old 01-19-2015, 06:12 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,189,594 times
Quote:
Odd, I found I knew much more about the men I met on OLD as opposed to the random guys who asked me out on a day-to-day basis. At least on OLD I could chat with them longer than with some guy asking for my number.

A lot of nuts on OLD? Sure. A lot of nuts in real life too. I really can't see how someone can say one way is better than another to MEET people. "Ohhhh.... you met your guy in a bar?!!! That's not nearly as good as meeting a guy in a supermarket! Still it's better than meeting them in a soup line, and all of those are below meeting someone at an art gallery."

Lol, honestly I could care less what your experience has been.....

I know what works for me- being out & about.....
getting real time w/ people, reading their body language, seeing how they live, hanging out, etc.

Sitting behind a computer sending ridiculous messages back
& forth to lots of different random guys- is lame (and kind of desperate)

Old 01-19-2015, 06:17 PM

356 posts, read 365,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
well I've been on about four paid dating sites ... out of this only one real date.. a girl I'm talking to now..

cute girl.. very sweet.. shares the same faith.. although.. The poor girl has a diagnosis of schizophrenia and bipolar.

Today we were hanging out .. one minute we're cuddling.. the next minute she's backing off like I've touched her wrong asking me who I am asking for her mom.

I'm not sure I'm cut out for this.

my experience has been terrible.
Well that's why you date so you can give it a shot till you find someone that's for you.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:21 PM

356 posts, read 365,870 times
Any who like a year back I did check out POF.com but most of the women there only care what you drive and how much money you have.....pshhh aint telling them $hit.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:32 PM

48,559 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Lol, honestly I could care less what your experience has been.....

I know what works for me- being out & about.....
getting real time w/ people, reading their body language, seeing how they live, hanging out, etc.

Sitting behind a computer sending ridiculous messages back
& forth to lots of different random guys- is lame (and kind of desperate)

That's an awful strong reaction, especially when I was merely giving my observations and opinion.

If we all could care less what other posters are saying, there wouldn't be much point to a forum.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-19-2015, 06:40 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,189,594 times
Quote:
That's an awful strong reaction, especially when I was merely giving my observations and opinion.

If we all could care less what other posters are saying, there wouldn't be much point to a forum.
Way to gloss over how your little comment was meant to be sharp, but wasn't.
Everything I do is strong.
My opinions, my actions, my reactions, my habits, everything.
Feel free to put me on ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships