Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:00 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLeigh View Post
I was put on antidepressants due to unusual fatigue. My Dr thought it may be related to depression. It did help with my energy level and made me feel more balanced so even though I didn't feel depressed it seems to be helping. I will ask to see if there are other options when I see her next week.
OP, there could be something more serious underlying this situation. Unusual fatigue? Had you been under chronic stress, or had there been some kind of catastrophic event, or major life changes (relocation, divorce, marriage, job loss, victim of crime, death of a loved one, surgery), perhaps in addition to general stress? Had you noticed any changes in your sleep, around the time that you were having unusual fatigue? This is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 08:15 PM

22 posts, read 40,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
The medications you took is what triggered the weight gain, not the freakin' food you ate.

Fasting for multiple days isn't actually healthy to do. If you aren't putting nutrients into your body, your body will actually shut down and stop itself from burning calories. THAT'S NOT HEALTHY.

Join the gym. Do it for you. It will eventually make you feel better about yourself and help you lose weight.
I do feel the meds are what caused the increase in my appetite which is what led to the weight gain. In the past I was unable to gain weight no matter how much or what I ate and believe me I did try. Now in my 30s my metabolism has changed. Even with the increased appetite I wasn't eating anything unusually fatty and yet I still put on weight.

I saw an article on Fasting diet and thought that might work for me since cutting down on food and exercise hasn't produced any results but it's only been 3 weeks so perhaps I'm not giving it enough time.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:22 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
I saw an article on Fasting diet and thought that might work for me since cutting down on food and exercise hasn't produced any results but it's only been 3 weeks so perhaps I'm not giving it enough time.
Fasting causes your body to hold onto weight. It thinks it's in starvation conditions, so it's survival instincts are triggered, and it holds onto whatever calories you give it after the fast, and conserves weight during the fast.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-15-2015 at 08:34 PM..

Old 01-15-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I don't know if it's common - that isn't how my marriage is - but even if it was common - it doesn't matter. Are YOU happy? It doesn't sound like it. Your husband berating you and making you feel unattractive when you are actively trying to change things isn't productive or supportive at all.

Concentrate on yourself. Eat well. Exercise. If you need to be on medication for your mental well being - then do so. And let your husband know how he is making you feel - and don't let him bully you into making you feel bad about yourself.
Thank you and I will continue with my morning cardio work-out and make sure I eat as healthy as I can.

My appetite is still crazy at the moment but I'm hoping it will settle down soon now that I'm no longer on the meds. It wasn't really for depression. I was having issues with sleep and was always tired. My dr. thought it might be related to undiadnosed depression even though I told her I didn't think that was the case. She wanted me to try it anyways.

I was surprised when I discovered it worked. I was suddenly able to sleep without taking sleeping pills due to insomnia. I had more energy and just felt really good overall. The increased appetite didn't bother me until I noticed I was putting on weight at an alarming pace. I was afraid it would continue so I stopped taking them.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:38 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Thank you and I will continue with my morning cardio work-out and make sure I eat as healthy as I can.

My appetite is still crazy at the moment but I'm hoping it will settle down soon now that I'm no longer on the meds. It wasn't really for depression. I was having issues with sleep and was always tired. My dr. thought it might be related to undiadnosed depression even though I told her I didn't think that was the case. She wanted me to try it anyways.

I was surprised when I discovered it worked. I was suddenly able to sleep without taking sleeping pills due to insomnia. I had more energy and just felt really good overall. The increased appetite didn't bother me until I noticed I was putting on weight at an alarming pace. I was afraid it would continue so I stopped taking them.
Have you tried essential oils? Or acupuncture? For the sleeping, I mean.

If you just recently got off the meds - it's going to take a bit of time for them to be completely out of your system. Also, your stomach is now used to eating more food - so you are probably going to feel hungry for awhile when you try to go back down to your pre-med meal sizes.

It also generally takes more time to lose weight than it does to gain it - especially when it's caused by something like medication.

I really feel for you. I've had eating issues my whole life and my husband always thinks I look hot. I had 2 children in the last 4 years and he's always made me feel beautiful.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly2 View Post
I too am petite and small increases in my weight are very noticible. I wouldn't do liposuction because someone else thought I was fat though. Procedures always have a risk of complication. However, I would create a daily exercise regimen and re-evaluate after 2-3 months. Perhaps you and your husband can work out together? I do think his daily bar habit needs to stop and if he cheats on you while you are honestly trying to lose the weight, then he is a jerk and good riddance.
I have read that thin people with small pockets of fat are the ideal candidates as its not meant to be a weight loss solution.

I don't think I'm overweight, just a little thicker in certain areas. The added weight seems to be collecting in my abs, hips and thighs. I went from a 21" waist to 26". And now have a small pooch where before it was flat. It doesn't show in clothes unless they form fitting.

It's not so much the weight that bothers me but where it's located. The only way to get rid of it is to lose weight or have it lipoed.

But I would love to be able to work out together and will definitely bring it up the next time we have a moment together. I've just been so busy with work and when I get home he's out.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
DING DING DING DING DING! He's projecting his own issues onto you. Some people, when they feel insecure about something, project the problem onto the person closest to them, and become impatient with it. What you should do the next time he says you need to do something about your weight, is very calmly thank him for his concern, and suggest you both go on a diet and exercise program together. Calmly and thoughtfully point out (placing a concerned hand on his arm) that he's a different size than he was when you met, and that although you've shown him the courtesy of not mentioning it, it concerns you. Then tell him you've missed the togetherness you two once had, and that you think joining a gym together and going low-carb together would provide an opportunity to re-bond.

See what he says. Report back to us.
That makes sense although I never thought he'd be one to do that. He gained weight long before I did and never brought up that it bothered him until I started gaining as well.

He gets his exercise from rollerblading and bicycling which is not something I can do. I was 10 the last time I rode a bicycle. The ones they make today are so different. I tried to get on the smallest one and still couldn't reach the pedals.And I've never rollerbladed. I'm likely to hurt myself trying given my lack of balance.

But I do appreciate your advice of working out together. Ithe would be great if I can get him to go to the gym with me. I will definitely bring it up and hope he goes for it. Thank you!

Old 01-15-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah, white rice is a killer. Being Asian myself, I grew up having it with every meal. Obviously, you didnt eat much of it because you retained your figure. Up until recently, anyways.

Focus mainly on your diet and you'll be good. gl
I never thought rice is something that can cause weight gain unless you're eating large amounts like those sumo wrestlers. Most Asians eat it everyday and yet I don't see many that are overweight including my family. My sister-in-law who is 43 eats large portions everyday but she's still under 100lbs. I saw her eat 8 servings at a buffet once and felt full just watching her.

But you're right in that I didn't eat much until recently. However in the past I have tried taking weight gain supplements such as Ensure and the massive weight gain powders sold at GNC to bodybuilders. I drank so much of that for a month in addition to meals yet I didn't gain a pound even though I was not an active person. My Dr said I just had a really high metabolism which seems to run in the family.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
How long has it been since you gained the weight and have been off the meds?
I started the meds on Nov 1st and put on 15lbs the first month and another 10 towards the end of Dec even though I stopped taking them on Dec 15. I purchased a gym membership the same day and have been going 5 days a week right before work. I only use the treadmill though and usually run for 30 to 45 minutes. But I'm not seeing much results.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
All this food talk has me hungry again. And quit with the antidepressants as an excuse for being overweight. If someone wants something badly enough they can achieve it. A champion will always find a way of becoming a champion.
I don't think I'm overweight. I am 110 lbs. The problem is the extra weight accumulated in my abs, hips and thighs. If it had distributed evenly I wouldn't feel so bad and maybe my husband wouldn't have minded as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships