Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 07:27 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,087 times

Advertisements

I have to laugh when everyone suggests that single moms should date single dads. Where exactly do the single dads hang out?

I consider myself a fairly active and involved mom. I have my kids 100% of the time so we do lots of kid activities. Bouncy places, two week cruises, rec./sports, even game and activity nights at local fast food restaurants regularly. This week we are staying at an indoor water park type hotel/lodge.

I have encountered lots of married dads staring at me, but not one single dad. And yes when I catch them looking, I glance at their hand. A sea of wedding bands. Surely single dads do fun stuff with their kids correct? Why do I never encounter single dads in my travels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 08:06 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
You are at an indoor park hotel on a school night?

Old 01-20-2015, 08:17 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,799 times
Men don't usually get the kids, so they probably aren't doing kid things.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:41 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,793,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Definitely this.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:58 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,955 times
Quote:
Actually in most states (35 to be exact--although I think it should be all 50), men and women get equal access to the kids (joint physical custody) UNLESS the couple determines otherwise or one of the parents is convicted of domestic violence. Child Custody: Summaries of State Laws - FindLaw

In my case, my ex only wanted our daughter 20% of the time. So that is what we agreed to. I noticed this trend with most fathers in my divorce support group too. From what they say, I think, more often than not, the mother is usually the primary care giver of children during marriage and when divorce happens, most couples keep it that way. The fathers tend to let the mothers take care of the kids when they are very young and usually, as the kids become teens, the fathers take their children more often/assume more responsibility. When you think of it, that's the way it tends to work with married couples as well. Most of the other parents I do things with with my child (younger child) are married mothers. I rarely see the fathers doing things. But when I've dated men with teen-aged kids, they seemed to do a lot more with their children.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, in my observation of single parents; in the cases of divorce, like I said, dad's don't have the younger kids as much. You tend to have to look towards older fathers with older kids to see more single dad's doing things. Also, you have to keep in mind when parents aren't married, a single father can just bail and take off much more easily than a mother. So in those cases, the mother is the only parent doing care taking. These two things combined means you see less single fathers with young kids.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:15 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Actually in most states (35 to be exact--although I think it should be all 50), men and women get equal access to the kids (joint physical custody) UNLESS the couple determines otherwise or one of the parents is convicted of domestic violence. Child Custody: Summaries of State Laws - FindLaw

In my case, my ex only wanted our daughter 20% of the time. So that is what we agreed to. I noticed this trend with most fathers in my divorce support group too. From what they say, I think, more often than not, the mother is usually the primary care giver of children during marriage and when divorce happens, most couples keep it that way. The fathers tend to let the mothers take care of the kids when they are very young and usually, as the kids become teens, the fathers take their children more often/assume more responsibility. When you think of it, that's the way it tends to work with married couples as well. Most of the other parents I do things with with my child (younger child) are married mothers. I rarely see the fathers doing things. But when I've dated men with teen-aged kids, they seemed to do a lot more with their children.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, in my observation of single parents; in the cases of divorce, like I said, dad's don't have the younger kids as much. You tend to have to look towards older fathers with older kids to see more single dad's doing things. Also, you have to keep in mind when parents aren't married, a single father can just bail and take off much more easily than a mother. So in those cases, the mother is the only parent doing care taking. These two things combined means you see less single fathers with young kids.
I didn't say men can't get the kids, I said they don't. The reason can vary from no lawyer money to no desire to hectic work schedule to opposition from spouse to judge's ruling to not knowing where the kids are, etc.

Further, according to your link, only NH, AL, IA and FL automatically consider joint custody and only FL and AL consider joint custody a right. Every other state goes by best interest of the child unless both parents consent to joint custody and even then the court has discretion.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:22 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,955 times
Quote:
I didn't say men can't get the kids, I said they don't. The reason can vary from no lawyer money to no desire to hectic work schedule to opposition from spouse to judge's ruling to not knowing where the kids are, etc.

Further, according to your link, only NH, AL, IA and FL automatically consider joint custody and only FL and AL consider joint custody a right. Every other state goes by best interest of the child unless both parents consent to joint custody and even then the court has discretion.
I guess we agree then. I thought you were implying that they don't "get" as opposed to don't "choose." Chalk it up to an internet misunderstanding. It's both really. Some states are still in the dark ages when it comes to parental rights. My observation (for the group I used to attend in my state with joint custody laws) is they don't get the kids as often by agreement... at least, that's what the dad's in my divorce support group said.

As for the link, not all the states have their laws listed there. My state is just blank, but we are joint physical custody too. I got the 35 states number from the Alliance of Non-Custodial Parents Rights website (Joint Custody Laws In The UNITED STATES). Thier site says

Quote:

Thirty-five states plus the District of Columbia have statutes that explicitly authorize joint custody as a presumption or strong preference. The following are some of the best relevant statutes from States which provide a presumption. Click on the links to take you to the relevant statute text.

I just thought the Find Law site was a little more easy to read and it had more actual listings.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:33 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,151 times
Where are they? online. I have the opposite problem, I didn't want to date a single dad but online I seemed to attract single dads. I ended up getting blocked on a few sites and deleted my profiles on the others.

Jillabean, that sounds so sad. I don't get why both parents don't take responsibility but it's partly why I never had kids. To be honest the idea of being the primary caregiver always scared me if it happened, plus if truth be told I don't like babies. I love kids but babies to me are boring and messy.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:35 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
You are at an indoor park hotel on a school night?
Guilty. I have a child with straight A's, so sometimes I do pull her out of school for experiences.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:44 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
Single dads probably aren't rolling in cash like you seem to be. Maybe they're at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships