Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 07:31 AM

1,917 posts, read 1,279,709 times

Advertisements

Hey, I have a female acquaintance that I met a while ago.
I have been crushing on this girl for a while. We dont talk all that often, but we do know each other. I didn't know she had a bf when I first met her and I asked her out to coffee. She told me she had a bf(in a polite way). She ended up dating other people after him. Cool, no problem. Fast forward a year and I think she is single again now. She texted me to ask if she could borrow a wrench for her bike. I let her borrow it, but now I have to get it back. I'm thinking of just officially asking her out if we meet up again to get my wrench back. I think she already knows I like her. I have recently tried to hint that i want to hang out with her by saying things like, "lets hang out when you get off work". She responded by saying, " im supposed to go hiking with friends but if they bail, then sure". Of course, we didnt hang out. Ive done these hints a handful of times. My question to women(in their mid-late 20s) is, if you know a guy likes you and you don't like him in that way, would you still talk to him as a friend and be friendly? I would think if she didn't like me at all in that way, she probably wouldn't talk to me at all. But keep in mind that this girl is kinda friendly to everyone so.....Im trying to be a confident guy, but this girl makes me melt haha. Should I just ask her out? Maybe she is waiting to see if I will. Im sure she might reject me so I'm fine with breaking all contact and "friendship" after that. All or nothing I guess. I just want to try since I think this is my only opportunity if she is single.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 07:37 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
You're already not going out with her, so you might as well ask.

If she turns you down again, I think you know your answer.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You're already not going out with her, so you might as well ask.

If she turns you down again, I think you know your answer.
+1 but the only thing is, she didn't "technically" turn me down. Yet. The first time, she did have a BF(I saw him with my own eyes), and the second time I invited her out, she didn't say "no" but it was more left open-ended.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:10 AM

535 posts, read 515,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Should I just ask her out? Maybe she is waiting to see if I will. Im sure she might reject me so I'm fine with breaking all contact and "friendship" after that. All or nothing I guess. I just want to try since I think this is my only opportunity if she is single.
Yes, ask her out. No, I don't think you will lose her friendship if she says no. I also think she will say yes.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
+1 but the only thing is, she didn't "technically" turn me down. Yet. The first time, she did have a BF(I saw him with my own eyes), and the second time I invited her out, she didn't say "no" but it was more left open-ended.
Ok, then if she turns you down ....

Old 02-09-2015, 08:27 AM

Oh and BTW, me and this girl have ALOT of mutual friends. So I don't want my name dragged through the mud if she rejects me.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:28 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
Just the fact that you are hesitating and asking random people on an Internet forum what to do tells me that you are already failing at moving things forward with this girl. Be yourself and act instinctively. If she shots you down (in all honesty, she may not be interested in you) then move on to the next girl. How is your name going to be dragged through the mud if you are rejected? Don't be silly...

Old 02-09-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Oh and BTW, me and this girl have ALOT of mutual friends. So I don't want my name dragged through the mud if she rejects me.
Do you live in Peyton Place??

Asking someone out is not a crime, and neither is rejecting someone. Your self-worth is tied to this, apparently.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:19 PM

284 posts, read 341,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Just the fact that you are hesitating and asking random people on an Internet forum what to do tells me that you are already failing at moving things forward with this girl. Be yourself and act instinctively. If she shots you down (in all honesty, she may not be interested in you) then move on to the next girl. How is your name going to be dragged through the mud if you are rejected? Don't be silly...
Most women are "indirectly" direct about their interest level. It seems odd that the OP has known this woman for so long and has not been able to assess these very basic social cues. Without knowing this lady personally, I cannot give an accurate assessment of the situation. However, with the little information you've provided, OP, I can infer that this lady is likely not interested in you. She's dated others after that BF (skipping over you) and has been consistently vague or noncommittal about hanging out with you despite knowing that you're obviously interested.

That said, I think she might like you on a friend level since she has no qualms about borrowing things from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Do you live in Peyton Place??

Asking someone out is not a crime, and neither is rejecting someone. Your self-worth is tied to this, apparently.
Admittedly, it can be weird being rejected by someone within your social circle. However, you are all late 20s and older. I would hope that at this stage you can be cordial and deal maturely with conflict and/or rejection.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nallia1 View Post
Most women are "indirectly" direct about their interest level. It seems odd that the OP has known this woman for so long and has not been able to assess these very basic social cues. Without knowing this lady personally, I cannot give an accurate assessment of the situation. However, with the little information you've provided, OP, I can infer that this lady is likely not interested in you. She's dated others after that BF (skipping over you) and has been consistently vague or noncommittal about hanging out with you despite knowing that you're obviously interested.

That said, I think she might like you on a friend level since she has no qualms about borrowing things from you.

Admittedly, it can be weird being rejected by someone within your social circle. However, you are all late 20s and older. I would hope that at this stage you can be cordial and deal maturely with conflict and/or rejection.
Good post.... But I want to add that she didn't necessarily skip me because I kinda stopped talking to her for a while during her transition. I just recently started talking to her again. And yes, I think I know what kind of guys she likes and I'm not them. I think a couple of her ex bfs where train hoppers and vagabonds and stuff. Which is cool(I live in a weird area), but I'm not those types of guys. I was kinda hoping she has matured since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships