Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 06:24 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,015,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Certainly, if you're the kind of person that thinks that arguments like that only come in one flavor. It's a fair assumption that maturity problems exist with both genders, and it would be hilariously naive of someone to believe otherwise. If you believe that you're dealing with a legitimate rebuttal in that regard, I don't know what to tell you
Absolutely. Slipper's rebuttal does not claim otherwise, though. She doesn't even attempt to claim the OP's theory is wrong. She just offers a POV that is different. If you are going to try to box her post into being a one-sided presentation of an issue, at least be consistent and do the same with the initial post of this thread, as it makes no attempt to present both sides of an issue.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:00 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,798,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Absolutely. Slipper's rebuttal does not claim otherwise, though. She doesn't even attempt to claim the OP's theory is wrong. She just offers a POV that is different. If you are going to try to box her post into being a one-sided presentation of an issue, at least be consistent and do the same with the initial post of this thread, as it makes no attempt to present both sides of an issue.
Except the original post of the thread addresses a particular experiment, with the intention of drawing a particular conclusion. If slipper wants to go ahead and make a thread about immature men, then I expect it to be one sided. The post I quoted needed no effort to be "boxed" at all, nor did the previous one bringing up wage discrepancy. Did you miss that? I can quote it for you if you'd like. Because it was followed up with off-topic accusations as well, despite neither smuggler nor myself bringing it up.

In fact, regarding the underlined, perhaps you should go and revisit that post of hers, since you're so interested in the topic of one-sided presentations and consistency.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Except the original post of the thread addresses a particular experiment, with the intention of drawing a particular conclusion. If slipper wants to go ahead and make a thread about immature men, then I expect it to be one sided. The post I quoted needed no effort to be "boxed" at all, nor did the previous one bringing up wage discrepancy. Did you miss that? I can quote it for you if you'd like. Because it was followed up with off-topic accusations as well, despite neither smuggler nor myself bringing it up.

In fact, regarding the underlined, perhaps you should go and revisit that post of hers, since you're so interested in the topic of one-sided presentations and consistency.
I can see this all makes you very angry. I'll reiterate my point: if you are going to call out someone for being one-sided call them all out. Slipper added what most people refer to as a "counter-argument." That's all she did. I'm pretty sure that's allowed.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I can see this all makes you very angry. I'll reiterate my point: if you are going to call out someone for being one-sided call them all out. Slipper added what most people refer to as a "counter-argument." That's all she did. I'm pretty sure that's allowed.
Your point seems to keep changing, but happens to be wrong regardless of what you change it to. First it's on-topic/off-topic. Now it's one-sided/not one-sided. Inability to distinguish between a counter-argument and total irrelevancy is just a bonus, I suppose.

Fortunately for you, all those things are allowed as well. They paint you in a certain light, obviously, but you don't seem to mind.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Your point seems to keep changing, but happens to be wrong regardless of what you change it to. First it's on-topic/off-topic. Now it's one-sided/not one-sided. Inability to distinguish between a counter-argument and total irrelevancy is just a bonus, I suppose.

Fortunately for you, all those things are allowed as well. They paint you in a certain light, obviously, but you don't seem to mind.
I said it was on topic. You said it was one-sided. I said it was a counter point. I'm not "changing" so much as keeping pace with you.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I said it was on topic. You said it was one-sided. I said it was a counter point. I'm not "changing" so much as keeping pace with you.
Or trying, anyway. It's difficult to reiterate a point if you're changing its premise as you go.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Or trying, anyway. It's difficult to reiterate a point if you're changing its premise as you go.
I agree. But I've not done that. One only needs to go back and look at the posts to see how the dialogue has progressed.

Regardless, we're definitely off topic now.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:23 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,833,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Automatically? Surely there are mature 18 year olds who would not be taken advantage of in such a case.
Yes. Automatically. I think it's highly inappropriate for a 40 year old to be in a sexual relationship with an 18 year old, even if the 40 year old has the maturity level of an 18 year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Geez so the age of consent should be 25?? You must be insane.

Again I say it depends on the person. Age is just a number.
Tell it to the car rental industry and the insurance industry. Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say what I think the age of consent should be. I only pointed out the fact that the car rental industry, based on years of study, has determined that people under the age of 25 are not mature enough to drive a rented vehicle.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:18 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,061,135 times
well in every thread, you have people who use it as an opportunity to spout their theories of gender imbalance, feminism, who's got it worse, relative attraction/market value, etc.

Sticking to the OP, however, I'm very disappointed the author used to internet to setup a string of dates, because that was cheating - to make that impressive "30 dates in 18 months" threshold. In my own personal life, it took 3 years to accumulate 30 dates from online effort. And I'm not *that* bad looking, idontthink.

I would like to repeat the study, and view the author Norah Vincent in before-and-after pics. Is she a sufficiently attractive woman, decently in shape, confident body language both in her in tomboyish-lesbian personae, and her 5-o-clock shadow makeup and baggy jeans (which are no longer fashion-correct for 2015).

I would have a criteria for success, in three venues, for the 'accomplishment of gender passing':
1) cold approaching random heterosexual females in a bar, lounge, or danceclub
2) soft approaching the same in a casual/sport venue like bowling night, softball tourny, or group outings of the local bird-watcher/audubon society
3) conversation-heavy, witty, verbal games like art gallery openings, museums, or cultural festivals

she'd get a bronze star for a phone number, silver star for a dinner date, and a gold star for a goodnight kiss.

Then we'd see what actual, humiliating failure looks and feels like. Over and over gain.

One of the reasons I so strongly disbelieve that she could pass as a man, is due to my own selection bias in women I date. I like women who look like women, who like men who look like men. On first dates, and cold approaches I have had verbal banter and 2 well drinks turn into 'dancefloor grinds' - some women are looking to feel a man's virility even thru clothes. I have certainly had women feel my shoulders and run their hands over my bicep way before I felt it was appropriate to go in for the kiss.

There would be a selection bias in Norah Vincent's test subjects, that they would have to be pre-disposed to androgynous speciems, if not half- bisexual (heteroflexible?) to begin with.

I obviously enjoyed this gender bender movie way too much:
Just One of the Guys (1985) - IMDb

Old 02-22-2015, 02:27 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,061,135 times
and obviously google images answered:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Nora...dpr=1#imgdii=_

...and I, reddit and xzibit thinksalike:
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/29081893.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.