Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 04:21 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyga View Post
First of all, I never said that it was of upmost importance and I am "hung up" on meeting someone the old fashioned way. I said it might be more romantic, but where you got "hung up" from my post is beyond me. I simply said that I would prefer to meet someone that way. I'm nearly 19, so I'm not particularly looking to use dating sites, because I'm still at a point where I'm exposed to tons of people with lots of free time. I still have a couple of years before I resort to Match.com. It would be great to meet someone within those years.

But if in 10-15 years I don't meet someone, sure I'll go on a dating site. I'm not adverse to the idea. I just have a preference. Good on you that you don't care how you meet someone. Clap clap.

But I do care. It's not do or die, but I have a preference.
What qualifies as sufficiently romantic? If you meet someone at a frat house, is that romantic? What if you meet someone at the laudromat? Is that romantic? Wanting a romantic way of meeting someone sounds like you're worried about your image, so that when your friends and family ask how you met your significant other, you can impress them by saying you met at church or at the art museum. Are you worried what people will think of you if they find out you met someone on Match or that it won't make for a good story to tell your kids someday? Personally, I think it's far more romantic to meet someone on eHarmony than at a party surrounded by a bunch of drunk college kids throwing up in the bushes. I met my current GF while I was squatting down to pick up my dog's poop. Nothing more romantic than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 05:03 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
What qualifies as sufficiently romantic? If you meet someone at a frat house, is that romantic? What if you meet someone at the laudromat? Is that romantic? Wanting a romantic way of meeting someone sounds like you're worried about your image, so that when your friends and family ask how you met your significant other, you can impress them by saying you met at church or at the art museum. Are you worried what people will think of you if they find out you met someone on Match or that it won't make for a good story to tell your kids someday? Personally, I think it's far more romantic to meet someone on eHarmony than at a party surrounded by a bunch of drunk college kids throwing up in the bushes. I met my current GF while I was squatting down to pick up my dog's poop. Nothing more romantic than that.
LOL! So true.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:12 PM

718 posts, read 616,028 times
Quote:
You need to chill out. You're running off the assumption that I'm going to college parties and hooking up with random drunks lol. That's absolutely not what happens, so you need to take a seat before telling me that I'm meeting guys at frat houses.

I'm 18, of course I'm not going on dating sites and looking for love. I meet new people every single day and I have a lot of time to date and get to know these people. A lot (maybe not all) of adults resort to online dating because they have commitments that don't allow them to go out and meet people at bars every weekend. Which is fine, but that's not the case for me. I can take the weekend to go out and try to meet someone. I can go hang out after classes on weekdays. I'm free most of the time. I don't have children or a full-time job to worry about.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what people think. Whether you think something is romantic or not, I couldn't care less. What you do with your life is simply what you do with your life. Why do I need to impress you? I'm saying that I find meeting guys in a "natural way" more romantic because that's my preference. If I go on a dating site, I'm just going to get hit up by a bunch of middle-aged guys who think I'm looking for a sugar daddy. That's not particularly romantic for me. Why? Because those websites are not targeted to my age group.

I'm not tearing anyones' romance down. I'm not saying online dating isn't romantic, it totally can be, but I'm saying that at my age -- at my current stage in life -- I find meeting people in a natural way to be my preference (how can I emphasize this more?????). Most teenagers aren't on online dating sites. A lot of them meet people online, but they don't subscribe to those sites. It's just not necessary at that point in their life.

But I don't really care how you meet people. You keep making these references to how your dating life goes, but why is that relevant? I said I don't want to use dating sites because I'm not at the point where I need to.

To each his own.

Last edited by Ashleyga; 03-07-2015 at 05:23 PM..

Old 03-07-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
But you're running off the assumption that I'm going to college parties and hooking up with random drunks lol. That's absolutely not what happens, so you need to take a seat before telling me that I'm meeting guys at frat houses.

You really need to chill out. I'm 18, of course I'm not going on dating sites and looking for love. I meet new people every single day and I have a lot of time to date and get to know these people. A lot (probably not all) of adults resort to online dating because they have commitments that don't allow them to go out and meet people at bars every weekend. Which is fine, but that's not the case for me. I can take the weekend to go out and try to meet someone. I can go hang out after classes on weekdays. I'm free most of the time. I don't have children or a full-time job to worry about.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what people think. Whether you think something is romantic or not -- I honestly couldn't care less. What you do with your life is simply what you do with your life. I'm not tearing anyones' romance down. I'm not saying online dating isn't romantic, it totally can be, but I'm saying that at my age -- at my current stage in life -- I find meeting people in a natural way to be my preference. Most teenagers aren't on online dating sites. A lot of them meet people online, but they don't subscribe to those sites. It's just not necessary as this point in their life.

But I don't really care how you meet people. You keep making these references to how your dating life goes, but why is that relevant? I said I don't want to use dating sites because I'm not at the point where I need to.

To each his own.
I never told you how you go about meeting guys. But you're the one who claimed it sounded a little more romantic to say you met someone the old fashioned way than on Match. So you opened the door to deciding what's romantic and what isn't. You also said it sounded more romantic. Sound to whom? Your friends? Your family? If you're concerned with how it sounds, then that means you are, in fact, worried what people will think. If you don't feel the need to use a dating site, great. Not everyone does. But why say it's less romantic? Why worry about how it sounds?

Old 03-07-2015, 05:26 PM

718 posts, read 616,028 times
Quote:
I never told you how you go about meeting guys. But you're the one who claimed it sounded a little more romantic to say you met someone the old fashioned way than on Match. So you opened the door to deciding what's romantic and what isn't. You also said it sounded more romantic. Sound to whom? Your friends? Your family? If you're concerned with how it sounds, then that means you are, in fact, worried what people will think. If you don't feel the need to use a dating site, great. Not everyone does. But why say it's less romantic? Why worry about how it sounds?
Lol because I'm 18 and I don't need to use online dating sites.

It's not romantic for the reason I stated above. If I go on Match.com; either people aren't going to take me seriously or I'm going to get a lot of messages from inappropriate aged men.

That's not romantic to me, sheesh. No, it's not about what people think. It's about what I think. I think it's more romantic to meet people the natural way at my current stage in life.

and in all honesty, who cares about what I think sounds romantic or not? It's not like we're going to be dating each other. You go on Match.com, I'll keep on with my drunk frat boys.

No need for all the fuss.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:27 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
I was always the person who claimed I'd never resort to dating online. Well, once I tried it (POF), it turned out to be quite fun. Had a few dates, but nothing ever materialized. One guy lied about his height. Claimed he was 6' and showed up on the date at 5'5. Another, must've used someone else's picture on his profile. Because he showed up to our meet/greet with another face on and it was not good. Then caught attitude because I didn't recognize him in the lobby. Finally, my third and final date, the guy just gave me bad vibes. Too thuggish or something was off about him. I have integrity issues with people who lie for the sake of lying. So I took none of these dates to heart.

Anyway, not too likely I'll do it again, but I thought it was a good way to meet people. I would not do online as a sole means of dating, but it serves the purpose of getting you out there. For instance, say you're new to an area like I was, and wanted to "window-shop". You really can't take it all that serious though and your B*llsh*t radar needs to be up-to-date before you jump out there. I can be fun though.

I know two of my ex-coworkers who met their spouses on eHarmony. So, yes it can and does work for some.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:23 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:

It's not romantic for the reason I stated above. If I go on Match.com; either people aren't going to take me seriously or I'm going to get a lot of messages from inappropriate aged men.

That's not romantic to me, sheesh. No, it's not about what people think. It's about what I think. I think it's more romantic to meet people the natural way at my current stage in life.

and in all honesty, who cares about what I think sounds romantic or not? It's not like we're going to be dating each other. You go on Match.com, I'll keep on with my drunk frat boys.

I agree with you. When you are that young, with college years ahead, my goodness you are surrounded by hoards of guys, every day. Very very easy to meet folks in college, and even out of college, when you are young and don't have a whole lot of responsibilities (job, cleaning house, yardwork, house maintenance, etc.). Enjoy it while you can.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:26 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheOtherSide View Post
Do online dating or hookup websites like eharmony, friendfinder, match etc... really work and do you feel it's odd that people use them?
OP, nothing is pathetic if it works. People say online does work, as long as you're patient, and don't mind weeding through a lot of flack to find the rare gem.

So....same as in real life.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:

I didn't ask you why you think meeting someone online isn't romantic. I'm simply exploring how you decide what qualifies as romantic and what doesn't.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:09 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,758 times
I don't think it's pathetic at all. I ended up in a LTR for six years within my first year of going on one.

I went on them for 2 years after the break up and didn't have any luck. I'm old (lol) and we all have some type of baggage. My biggest pet peeve is how people lie and post 20 year old pics on their profiles..... hahaha

I experienced 31 years in 2 LTR.

I was lucky in life to have been in love. I'm single by choice now and I'm happy that way.

Do whatever works for you. They say a lot of people meet their soul mates online.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships