Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:44 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,643,637 times

Advertisements

I don't know to be honest. I'm dating a girl right now. I'm not sure if I can call it a relationship though. I don't see it working out in the long run.

I've for years been struggling to put myself in a position where I can have some finances to go and do some things fun with someone. I've been in college for years trying to plan for some type of career. The one girlfriend I did have during this time decided another man was better for her ultimately. Didn't see it coming and no hard feelings.. moving on.

I'm not a bad looking guy, going on 34, exercise, have a good job, no kids, good with kids etc... I've tried multiple dating websites with little to no success on many in meeting local ladies that would like to even have a discussion let alone date. Like the OP stated, I don't care for the bar scene anymore, etc.. my frustrations are posted throughout this board in various places.

One thing about me though is I don't even bother with the women on the dating sites that has in her subject line "NO LIARS" .. or "NO GAMES" or something of the equivalent in all caps. It's just the attitude that says to me to stay far away. We're not going to get along well.

As the OP as well, I will date a women with a child, but when there is multiple children to another man I shy away.

So I will look to date younger girls. Ten years younger. I have no problem with that. Looking for a lady that would have my children and share a commitment with me.. Now that I'm in a position to be able to be a provider.. and do it responsibly. The problem I have now is meeting them. Lots of young ladies at work, but that is bad business.

I guess if I can't find what I'm looking for in a partner, then I need to just be content with being single.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 01:16 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,796,158 times
Probably because our society and culture as it exists today is largely dysfunctional at the social level and I know it all too well.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:22 AM

54 posts, read 42,873 times
Because I don't have the looks, money, social standing or charisma necessary to attract even lower-level women.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:39 PM

403 posts, read 598,557 times
I don't even know.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:48 PM

914 posts, read 767,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallandric View Post
Because I don't have the looks, money, social standing or charisma necessary to attract even lower-level women.
Getting out of a mindset which categorizes people, would help.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:05 PM

787 posts, read 782,576 times
I guess I really don't know the answer to this question. It's probably because I have not found the right woman yet. I played singles co-ed softball last summer, and joined the fall, winter, and spring bowling leagues so it's not like I am not putting myself out there. I am doing Match.com and Coffee Meets Bagel. So far I had one date from Coffee Meets Bagel. I went out with a woman on Saturday for lunch. I thought it was going well until I got a text from her last night which basically said she had a good time, but there was "no connection."

I know I could put more effort into this, but I really don't want it to be a second job. I'd rather enjoy myself, live life, and hopefully I'll find the right person. It's true what they say, you find the right person when you're not looking.

A lot of my friends seem to be in the same boat. Everyone is super picky. How can you decide if you have a connection with someone after being with them for only two hours? I guess people can. Oh well.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:24 PM

54 posts, read 42,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenorSax83 View Post
Getting out of a mindset which categorizes people, would help.
You mean pretending everyone's the same even though they clearly aren't? No, thank you. I'll stick to my current mindset.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:03 PM

914 posts, read 767,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallandric View Post
You mean pretending everyone's the same even though they clearly aren't? No, thank you. I'll stick to my current mindset.
Nope, but I am saying that people are people not "levels" you climb like a video game.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:46 PM

5,513 posts, read 9,506,560 times
When you get right down to the root problem, I'm single mostly because I'm visually impaired.

Because I'm visually impaired, I can't drive. Public transit works fine for getting to and from work, (at an office of 10 people) but doesn't work well for getting out for other activities.

I don't strike up conversations with many random strangers, because I feel that most people would rather not be bothered. But, if I do find myself talking to someone that I might be interested in knowing better, being visually impaired makes it very difficult to read their reactions, to know if they feel the same way. Needless to say, flirting is wasted on me.

Some on this forum have suggested that I should move to a bigger city, where it's easier to get around without a car and meet more people. (not to mention the stigma of not having a car would be much less) But I'm quite happy with most other aspects of my life, so I've decided to accept being single, in exchange for a pretty great life, otherwise.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:12 PM

270 posts, read 283,284 times
I'm single because a suitable partner has not crossed paths with me yet.

At my age, the air gets mighty thin, and the number of people with significant, and more importantly, unprocessed baggage increases exponentially. Those with long-term relationship skills are in, well, long-term relationships, for the most part, and the rest of them float around on dating sites, randomly hitting up people, or stonewalling themselves behind unrealistic expectations of the superficial kind.

I'm at a stage in my life where I have become very selective as to whom I will let close, something I should have done a lot sooner, but I failed to connect the dots correctly. Now I have, and am totally comfortable on my own, which gives me the ability to take it or leave it with others. Quality over quantity. I would like a partner, not be a project manager, mother, janitor, armchair psychologist, FWB, sugar momma, rebound, stand-in for the ex, or an object to be ordered around. Men (sorry, guys, not all, but many) come out of relationships, and quickly aim to get into a new one (women do it, too, I know, but I'm writing about why I'm single, and I don't date women), to be "taken care of" in whatever shape or form they need that. This may work for some women, it's just not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships