Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:07 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,407,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's true, women do need to ask men out. But this is nothing new. There's always been a subset of men who were too shy. Maybe now it's grown to a larger percentage of all men. Not sure this is headline-worthy news. But some of the guys here have made it quite clear that if women don't approach them, they assume they're not attractive to women, and should not approach anyone.

If you’re a single woman, you probably envisioned your twenties as a roaring social scene full of expensive dinners and lavish nights out. You probably thought you’d have a boyfriend, or at least a few dates a week.

"Expensive dinners"? "Lavish nights out"?? Where does she get these ideas? Is she for real? She's been watching too many Clark Gable and Cary Grant movies.
And this is what bothers me with some women (and probably some men as well). They have these unrealistic expectations of what dating is supposed to be like.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:10 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
And this is what bothers me with some women (and probably some men as well). They have these unrealistic expectations of what dating is supposed to be like.
Maybe that's one reason some guys are intimidated by the dating process. Maybe they think too much will be expected of them. I see guys posting here that they took a woman to dinner on the first date. There seems to be a lot of that. Why dinner? If you take her for dinner on the first date, what are you going to do for an encore? You've immediately set the bar high. What's next, opening night at the opera? Whatever happened to a nice walk in the park?

Old 03-28-2015, 01:13 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's true, women should be asking men out. In fact, women have always asked men out, or done something to kick-start a dating process. But this is nothing new. There's always been a subset of men who were too shy. Maybe now it's grown to a larger percentage of all men. Not sure this is headline-worthy news. But some of the guys here have made it quite clear that if women don't approach them, they assume they're not attractive to women, and should not approach anyone.

If you’re a single woman, you probably envisioned your twenties as a roaring social scene full of expensive dinners and lavish nights out. You probably thought you’d have a boyfriend, or at least a few dates a week.

"Expensive dinners"? "Lavish nights out"?? Where does she get these ideas? Is she for real? She's been watching too many Clark Gable and Cary Grant movies.
I hate men. That's what I got from that article. Men don't approach her because they don't like her. Not every guy has to like you.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:14 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
In my experience, if a woman is really interested in a man then she will make her interest crystal clear. Maybe she doesn't formally ask the man out but it will be not far short of that. Then it is up to the guy to decide if he is interested or not.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:54 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,535,208 times
I think the author is right. A lot of guys are really scared of women and it boggles my mind. They poop just like we do.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:07 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
I think the author is right. A lot of guys are really scared of women and it boggles my mind. They poop just like we do.
They aren't scared. They aren't interested. But it's easy for women to say the men are scared when in reality he doesn't like her.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:24 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
IMO it's some of both; some don't have the confidence to put themselves out there, others have their preferences. The OP may be a babe, so she might attract initial attention, but she has a bad 'tude. That would turn a lot of dudes off. That's not gonna work if you're expecting people to take you to a high-end dinners. The chick is kinda wacked.

TBH, the article read to me like she strung a bunch of cliches together, and cut-and-pasted parts of other articles, to meet her publishing deadline. It's not an intelligent piece. It feels like it's written more to be a catchy, trendy flavor-of-the-month for a narrow readership. And it's not even pointing out anything new. The oldsters in my family say dating, dinners, and all that started to die with the counter-culture/hippie thing in the 60's and 70's. Everything got a lot more casual, at least for people who were into that scene. And the trend spread out from there.

Do women really expect fancy dinners these days? It's 2015, for christ's sake. I can see it if they're snagging the conservative CEO's, and other high rollers. But in the age group the author is aiming at, 20-somethings, even well-paid techies aren't into the formal dining scene, much.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:33 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,535,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
They aren't scared. They aren't interested. But it's easy for women to say the men are scared when in reality he doesn't like her.
Nah, they are scared. Saying they aren't interested is just a way for guys to convince themselves that it is their choice to not date, get laid, etc..

Old 03-28-2015, 04:38 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I read half and stopped, it's offensive. She speaks for her herself, not women. Like most of the tripe you can dig up on the internet.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-28-2015, 04:47 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
TBH, the article read to me like she strung a bunch of cliches together, and cut-and-pasted parts of other articles, to meet her publishing deadline.
This. Not worth taking seriously. Intended only as cheap entertainment for 20-something women. And I agree that men not approaching is nothing new. The women I knew in college who felt like the clock was ticking to get married either approached the guy they'd had their eye on for a couple of years, or contacted former fellow-students after graduation, or otherwise made the first move. They didn't date in college, because no one approached them. But when they did the approaching, things worked out well, and for the long-term. That's why I saw that for a lot of women, if they want something to happen, they have to take the initiative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships