Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 07:35 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I think I was 31 when I finished. I did undergrad, then worked for a number of years, established residency, went part time for a couple of years then full time the last year. So, yeah, 31 when I finished my masters. Got a pretty decent job fairly soon.

But despite being able to date with relative ease throughout my 30s (yeah, it was WAY better than my 20s), there was never, ever anyone throwing themselves at me. Just doesn't happen with dudes, or not 90% of us.
Well, maybe 'hitting on' would be a more accurate phrase than 'throwing themselves at you'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 07:39 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I can't recall that happening much either, but ok. A few times over the many years. Once every few.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:54 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I think most people very much doubt the sincerity of his being happy and content if he felt the need to go to an anonymous forum and seek validation from others on his decisions.
Point taken.

But as participants on an anonymous forum we have nothing else to go by. Personally, I have my own issues and have also found useful information from anonymous people online. I have been truthful in my situations and (filtered of course) people's responses have seemed to be with good intent. It is helpful to gain perspective from a community of people that have no real ties to your personal life.... as family (and friends) can be ever so more judgmental. At least for me, validation can be helpful... even if from places online such as this forum.

As such, I'm more inclined to believe the posters sincerity as I have.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:09 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortisKing View Post
And that's exactly what I did!
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
But isn't that what he is doing? He is making a conscious choice to be happy and content. His needs may change later in life... but that's fine too. He can choose a different path later. If a woman sees him and accepts him for who he is, she will make an effort to make emotional contact as well. Which is fine as well.

If he made these choices further damage his quality of life, then that's a different matter.

As a side note: Telling someone dealing with mental health issues with notions of "deal with it", "just do it", and "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" is rarely helpful. It's empty advice. But I will agree (and speaking out of experience)! Doctors over prescribe these very dangerous (and complex) drugs as a false panacea for these type of problems. People should still seek help but be wary when a therapist immediately starts writing scripts. When I first found CD, I found the mental health forum here very informative. Its a place to start.
no that is not what he is doing. right now he is just going through the motions of life, slinking off into the corner whenever he has a little anxiety because a girl happens near by. this is not taking life by the horns.

what he needs to do is start talking to these girls, get to know them, and realize that nothing bad is going to happen as a result. the large majority of anxiety issues do not need drugs or some pencil necked geek who couldnt be a real doctor asking him about his childhood, and telling him that he loves his dog and hates his parents or what ever they do. most anxiety issues are based in fear, often times irrational, and usually due to the mind moving too fast to think clearly.

he needs to start living in the moment, and he needs to start slowing his mind down and start thinking clearly. he needs to see the real world around him, not some evil construct that is floating around in his mind.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:22 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
OP you know yourself better then anyone else here. After all none of us have met you so if you say you're content with your life then you are. I'm not going to try to desperately read extras into it like some of the other posters here who are telling what to think and how you should feel.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:27 AM

609 posts, read 615,549 times
Man some people should just go get laid yeesh
You know the prison that you're currently in, you made for yourself right?

Old 04-13-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseLikeAnyOther View Post
Man some people should just go get laid yeesh
You know the prison that you're currently in, you made for yourself right?
This is a very helpful post.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:33 AM

609 posts, read 615,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
This is a very helpful post.
Well that's usually the answer in these situations. Some people are just terrified to live and take some tiny risk.

What is the point of existing on this planet, if you hide in a closet your whole life? He's completely crippled by fear and he hasn't been living a full life.

And there is a simple answer.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseLikeAnyOther View Post
Well that's usually the answer in these situations. Some people are just terrified to live and take some tiny risk.

What is the point of existing on this planet, if you hide in a closet your whole life? He's completely crippled by fear and he hasn't been living a full life.

And there is a simple answer.
Who are YOU to say he hasn't lived a full life? Explain this to me. Why are you or anyone else the authority on how others live THEIR lives? This is a common problem I've noticed on these threads. People are constantly telling others how they should live their lives.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:53 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
To the OP,

Read the last few posts and ask yourself.

* Should anyone else define my life? What it means to you as taking life by the horns?
* Everyone has some fears and anxieties. The key question to ask yourself is whether or not it is impacting your quality of life. Are you happy with your decision?

Don't let the last few posts make you feel like the people here know what is best for you... better than you.

I wish you luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships