Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:42 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times

Advertisements

I had a supervisory training a while back from our HR person. She said that people are whoever they were in junior high school. So you should expect them to behave as junior high schoolers.

Sounds like you have a lot of immature gossips there. I keep the workplace about business too, and cannot stand the gossipy drama of some.

Just ignore and don't let it bother you too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 10:43 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I've worked in many, in many industries, over the past 20 years and never experienced ANYTHING like this type of soap opera.
I was thinking the same thing. Twenty-six years for me and I've never observed anything like this. It sounds to me like some of these people have way too much free time on their hands.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:44 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,992,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I've worked in many, in many industries, over the past 20 years and never experienced ANYTHING like this type of soap opera.
Maybe office size has something to do with it. I've only worked in buildings where something like 1,000 people are.

Why, just yesterday I had an older lady go bitchmode on me because I didn't want to be in her stupid "birthday club."

Old 04-15-2015, 10:45 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
This is the reason sexual harrassment training exists. It creates a hostile work environment for co-workers to be discussing one another's sex life and directly speaking to you about yours. Borat shouldn't have said anything to you, especially in the office.

Sadly, I have worked in an environment that was very high school in nature and people gossiped like crazy about everyone else. It was the front office of a pro sports team.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:45 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Me either, as least not the expectation that there's something wrong with you if you haven't been banging someone in the break room.

Of course, it could be that just this one weird woman is stirring everything up. One toxic person with a willing follower (like Mohammed) can poison a whole office. Or Mohammed could be the actual gossip who is throwing Melissa under the bus.
It depends on the industry too, some professions are more "professional" than others, and some workplaces are as well. I've spent time in retail which isn't terribly known for professionalism.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:47 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
1. Melissa's into you.

2. Either your assessment of her as not being gossipy is wrong, or Mohammad lied about her being the source of the rumor.

3. "She's never heard of you sleeping with anyone at the office." What??!! Are offices soap operas? That's a bizarre expectation. How have your personal and work lives become intertwined? I've never heard of that, except on TV. Where do you live, that a thing like that would be considered normal?

3. Yes, it's 9th grade in your office. Ugh. Maybe that's part of the territory in an office where the personal and the professional become intertwined.
1) It wouldn't shock me, but she has a boyfriend, so it is unlikely that anything good of it will come of it in the foreseeable future.

2) Mohammad is a bit of s--t talker which is why I mentioned that, but I don't think he was pulling my leg about that. He is very close to Melissa and I couldn't see him just throwing her under the bus like that. Also, it wasn't so much of a rumor from my understanding just a conversation between the two of them that piqued his interest.

3) Yes. It is really like that. My office has about 400 staff members across three floors. The majority of the worker bees like myself are in our twenties and thirties. The staff includes several married couples who meet at my office, several boyfriend and girlfriend couples, and I'd say about half the single employees have had at least a single one-night stand with another staff member. There is very little turnover and most of us have known each other for years.

4) Typical work gossip. Seems to happen everywhere. Also, there are a lot of work events sponsored by the company (usually with free alcohol), so we often get to mingle with each other outside of work. Crossed with the relatively young average age of the employees it creates a very familiar attitude towards each other and sometimes it seems more like high school than the office of a major telecommunications company.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:51 AM

609 posts, read 615,657 times
That was entertaining thank you.

I would be incredibly vexed if someone came up to me and said something like that. If it happened in real life, I would have chewed them out like they're never been chewed out in their life.

They both sound like idiots.
Go bang Melissa and don't call her back.

Just kidding

Old 04-15-2015, 10:52 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseLikeAnyOther View Post
That was entertaining thank you.

I would be incredibly vexed if someone came up to me and said something like that. If it happened in real life, I would have chewed them out like they're never been chewed out in their life.

They both sound like idiots.
Go bang Melissa and don't call her back.

Just kidding
But then she'll go whine about it at work.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:56 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
That's just appalling. The next time some yokel asks you about your sex life, the appropriate response is, "Ask your mom."

Old 04-15-2015, 11:04 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
I'd be bothered, too. Mohammad and Melissa both sound rude. Additionally, Mohammad is tactless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships