Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 03:28 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,442,901 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a town of about 15,000 people but left when I got out of high school. I never dated there, and when I go back to visit I think I would have a very difficult time since I've lived in places at least a million or more since I was 22. Maybe ask friends if they know any singles? Maybe you can start a singles meet-up group? Aside from that I have no clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 04:03 PM

609 posts, read 615,372 times
I've been in that situation a number of times and what happened was that I ended up settling for guys I would neveeeeer normally date
Thinking about it makes me want to go take a cold shower

Old 04-27-2015, 04:04 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times
I'm wondering how long you will be staying in this place and how far are you from civilization?

I clicked on this thread b/c I live in a hole in the wall about 2-1/2 hours from a big city, one that I travel to often, and I just got out of a LDR and I'm trying to date locally but it's hard. I only plan to stay another year though. The sum total of my love life right now is that I have a man very interested in me but I'm not a bit sure about him b/c he seems to totally lack ambition, and a pen pal that I would move close to in a red hot second but he hasn't asked me to and doesn't seem much interested in more than being pen pals. It's abysmal.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:15 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
For those of you ever spent a long time living in a place with no singles or at least no easy way to meet other singles and far away from any other major metro, how did you date? Besides the internet. Is it practical for people to take vacations to other large cities, and assume that they'll meet someone who's willing to be in a long distance relationship (with the assumption that one of you will eventually relocate for the other)? Do people do that?

This is starting to get depressing, but my family is here and I have a great job that I know I could never get in a major metro (too much competition). And I like small town living.
^ that

Old 04-27-2015, 11:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
I spent my twenties as a newspaper editor in the rural midwest. All my dating was either with people I met in the course of my work, with friends of friends, or via online (seldom seeking people from my actual small town, expanding it to other communities in the region).

Old 04-27-2015, 11:27 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,413,622 times
Quote:
For those of you ever spent a long time living in a place with no singles or at least no easy way to meet other singles and far away from any other major metro, how did you date? Besides the internet. Is it practical for people to take vacations to other large cities, and assume that they'll meet someone who's willing to be in a long distance relationship (with the assumption that one of you will eventually relocate for the other)? Do people do that?

This is starting to get depressing, but my family is here and I have a great job that I know I could never get in a major metro (too much competition). And I like small town living.
Yes, the frustrating part is finding someone you truly connect with on an emotional and mental level.. add the distance and financial constraints to that equation, you do feel a sense of sadness because how can something that seems so easy for others seem so difficult for yourself?

I believe most people meet their lifetime S.O.'s mainly through friends of friends, or place of work (and school).

It's sad to think that you can bridge gaps with just anyone you know and feel that bond, but you can't create chemistry so meeting that person by chance is a matter of who knows what.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:29 PM

750 posts, read 643,786 times
Quote:

Best thing to do is go to the markets, stores, churches, parks, gyms, and open women or men.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:32 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
Best thing to do is go to the markets, stores, churches, parks, gyms, and open women or men.
I do that all the time but 99% of the men my age are married where I live.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:45 AM

750 posts, read 643,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I do that all the time but 99% of the men my age are married where I live.
thats never stop anyone in the past haha just kidding

Old 04-28-2015, 05:50 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,004,714 times
Taking vacations to try and find someone to date "long distance" really is not going to be a winning strategy. I would not bother.

You either need to become very social in the small towns social events and activities, whatever those are, to meet the few singles that may exist there or work on your career and skills to the point you are able to move to a larger community with more opportunities to date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships