Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 07:20 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times

Advertisements

So, it seems there is more to this story than meets the eye. Regardless, my advice is the same. If you can't have an honest conversation with your girlfriend of 3 years about this - then you need to think about your relationship. If something is bothering you - you should be able to talk to her about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 07:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post

We've been together for 3 years (live together) and while she has had some issues with my family, they have been nothing but nice to her in the past several months. But I am shocked she has not even asked me about the baby when I went to meet her for the first time. As far as I know, she has not offered any congratulations to my brother and my mom has sent everyone a few pics, her included, all would respond but her! My mom is furious about her lack of interest and thinks she's being selfish because of the past. my GF is known to love babies but because she doesn't like my brother's wife I wonder if that's the reason....
Ignoring a significant family event that's a big deal to most people and pointedly blowing it off is a passive-aggressive exercise in making a statement to people she's not fond of.

It's essentially a manipulation. She doesn't like your sister-in-law, has past baggage with your family, so she's going to withhold attention when something happens that it would be normal to acknowledge. It makes a statement of "I don't like you, and don't care about your happy event," without being confrontational. She knows it's pushing buttons, and that's probably the intent.

Maybe it's warranted, maybe she's being a snot. You'd know better than anybody. HAS your family been treating her like crap (prior to the "last couple of months")? Is there a reason she would want to send them a message of "Yeah, I really don't care?"

Ask her what her purpose is in not acknowledging this thing that's happened.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:31 PM

324 posts, read 427,499 times
Like others have said, after three years, you really need to talk to her about it.

However, after three years of turmoil with your family, just being nice the past three months isn't going to change your GF's feelings towards your family. It's probably just hard for her to muster up some fake excitement and doesn't fully trust them yet, understandably so.

Given that your Mother is already furious over it proves she has no idea how her actions have affected your GF over the years. Give your GF some time, with no expectations, regarding her interactions with your family. If you gang up on her to, then be prepared to see her leave.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:32 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
So, it seems there is more to this story than meets the eye. Regardless, my advice is the same. If you can't have an honest conversation with your girlfriend of 3 years about this - then you need to think about your relationship. If something is bothering you - you should be able to talk to her about it.
Truth!

Old 05-05-2015, 07:34 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Mrs. NBP's brother's daughter had a baby a couple months ago, her (and her husband's) first. I think it's a boy. I'm not 100% positive. I might be able to tell by the name but I don't know that, either.

We've been married just under 34 years.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:39 PM

609 posts, read 615,482 times
Sometimes I get REALLY annoyed when friends of friends show me their pictures of their newborn niece or something. I mean come ON I really don't care. Most children when they are born are NOT CUTE by the way.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Do they know you really don't care?

Old 05-05-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Do they know you really don't care?
It's not just me. I mean one example is people who post daily pictures of their baby on Facebook. Yeah I'm sure your 500 friends really want to see those pictures every single day of a fat little guy with a squished face lol

Old 05-05-2015, 09:54 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseLikeAnyOther View Post
It's not just me. I mean one example is people who post daily pictures of their baby on Facebook. Yeah I'm sure your 500 friends really want to see those pictures every single day of a fat little guy with a squished face lol

And we all want to see what you eat every day at lunch, and your cocktails at night?

Yes, I want to see my friend's and relative's ugly kids! I'm their FRIEND. It's my job to support whatever the heck it is they are doing... raising kids, work stuff, BF stuff, etc. Do I comment on every kidlet pic? Gosh no, that would be pretty time consuming. But at least give them a drive-by "like" every once in awhile.

Heck, I post pics of their kids on my FB. I love photography and kids don't care when you shove a camera in their face. The usually like it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-05-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And we all want to see what you eat every day at lunch, and your cocktails at night?
I can't stand that either. Nobody cares to see daily pictures of what you're eating or knowing that you "just took a shower" or "took the dog on a walk" or "just woke up."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships