Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 10:55 AM

3 posts, read 2,291 times

Advertisements

My bf expects us to text all day long, and then requires a goodnight call every single night. I text all day long (I don’t mind this), but at times fall asleep a little earlier at night and am unable to have thatgoodnight call due to working full-time – and this seems to frustrate him and makes him think that I don’t love him. I am also very introverted, and can’t stand hours and hours on the phone. I also sometimes just need to be alone in my thoughts doing my own thing, but this also frustrates him, and he thinks I’m neglecting him. How much contact is reasonable to make the other not feel like they’re unloved…?

Last edited by tezzal; 09-17-2015 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 10:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
It varies completely by person. What's comfortable for you is different for him, and neither of you is "right." For instance, I dislike a lot of texting. I would not be comfortable with someone who texted me all day long, yet you don't mind it. I would find it very annoying. Neither of us is "right." It's a personal preference.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:06 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezzal View Post
My bf expects us to text all day long, and then requires agoodnight call every single night. I text all day long (I don’t mind this), butat times fall asleep a little earlier at night and am unable to have thatgoodnight call due to working full-time – and this seems to frustrate him andmakes him think that I don’t love him. I am also very introverted, and can’tstand hours and hours on the phone. I also sometimes just need to be alone inmy thoughts doing my own thing, but this also frustrates him, and he thinks I’mneglecting him. How much contact is reasonable to make the other not feel likethey’re unloved…?
Your boyfriend is an insecure ninny.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:06 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,385 times
Does this guy have a job? How does one communicate all day when working.? He sounds very immature and needy. Also, if someone pays him a paycheck they are getting ripped off. Rethink this relationship as many bad habits he has aquired especially having this routine to follow to make him feel loved. Id be gone and fast. How about sending him this thread after a few more comments and let him see he is lacks maturity and other stuff.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 2,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Does this guy have a job? How does one communicate all day when working.? He sounds very immature and needy. Also, if someone pays him a paycheck they are getting ripped off. Rethink this relationship as many bad habits he has aquired especially having this routine to follow to make him feel loved. Id be gone and fast. How about sending him this thread after a few more comments and let him see he is lacks maturity and other stuff.
He has a part-time job and also studies. I work full-time. But he thinks that if he can make the time to text all day, and have lengthy phone conversations, why can't I? That in turn makes him feel like he's putting in more effort in this relationship than I am. So I'm constantly trying to live up to his standard of doing things the way he thinks it should be done.

But it's hard. And he doesn't seem to get it. He needs me to be all over him at all times - whether it's via phone, text, in person, social media etc.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:22 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
He has a part-time job and also studies. I work full-time.
Bump that scrub to the curb.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:24 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,015,348 times
Quote:

But it's hard. And he doesn't seem to get it. He needs me to be all over him at all times - whether it's via phone, text, in person, social media etc.
So, why are you still with him?

I ask that with all sincerity.

People have different needs in relationships and show their love and affection in different ways. For me, being with someone like your bf simply would not work. But I know women who would thrive on it.

The red flag that I see in what you have said is that he believes that he's giving more to the relationship than you are. Eep. If you are not speaking the same language in terms of this sort of communication, I can definitely see some real resentment in your future (if it's not there already).

Old 09-17-2015, 12:40 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
New relationship? I've seen this (maybe not this bad) with people (guys and gals) who are in new relationships because they haven't established a sense of security in the relationship.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:20 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,455,752 times
She expects nothing, we are usually too busy to have anything more than a few random texts a day unless their is an immediate issue that needs resolution.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:51 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Just tell him you can't constantly be in contact with him while you work and you don't WANT to be.

Everybody is different. Seems like he is a bit too much for you.

My bf texts me 2-3 times during the day but we see each other almost every day. If we don't see each other, we speak on the phone. It's been 10 months now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships