Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:08 PM

40 posts, read 44,396 times

Advertisements

When dating someone, an individuals age is something that most people would find rather important. For others, not so much. Personally, I prefer someone within the same age group as myself. In my relationship, my boyfriend and I are only three weeks apart. We graduated high school together, got our drivers licenses together, etc. However, that's not the case for all people. I have heard of many situations in which the age gap between partners may seem pretty drastic- but works. For example, I know a couple who is 17 years apart, (now ages 43 & 60) and they have been happily married for 11 years. Of course they are both adults and have their lives figured out but you get my point. Should age be considered a factor? Or does it just matter more along the lines of where the individual is in his or her life?

What do you think?

What are your thoughts? Please feel free to share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 08:11 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
Stuff people tell themselves is true for $500 Alex

Old 05-25-2015, 08:15 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Yes and no, some situations work, some you have to think realisticly.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:25 PM

40 posts, read 44,396 times
Right, for example a teenager girl with a 27 yr old man or a 25 yr old man with a 35 yr old woman.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:38 PM

609 posts, read 615,549 times
In general, at least in my experience, I think it's best to date someone around your age. You might have more in common and more to talk about and you will most likely age similarly and be in similar places in life.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:43 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
I'm over 60. In my opinion relationships work better with someone your own age. Why? Because typically, you go through certain events in life at particular ages. Courtship and marriage from Teens up to 25-30. Children come soon after, and raising them takes a good 20+ years. Then there's the empty nest period before you slide into retirement. But if there is a big age difference, it makes things complicated.

I used to laugh when I would see some 50 yr. old guy at a restaurant in Dallas with his young thirties trophy wife, and their two very small children. Most guys really don't want to start over raising another family at that age. They don't have the energy to keep up with them as they get older. Having children young works better. Same dilemma if you have one spouse retiring 10 years before the others. One is ready to slow down and take it easy, and maybe travel, while the other is still stuck with the demands of their career. This too causes friction. One might even die before the other gets to retirement age. So, IMHO, I'd say, play with the kids who are your own age.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:22 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I'm 69. (Sounds dirty. ) My first wife was a year younger, second wife 2 years older, current wife 10 years younger. We all seem to fit pretty well. At our ages, the 10 years difference doesn't seem like much, plus I'll probably outlive her due to heredity differences, etc.

There was a young gal who I fell for when I was 45. She was only 25. Her former bf was 43, and she just liked older men. I didn't like the age difference but was just about convinced... and then she found out she was pg by her former bf and went back to him, got married, had the baby, got divorced, etc. A few years later she remarried someone even older! And has dropped a couple hints that she's available again. I'm not. But I think the age difference between us would have been a problem. I'll turn 70 this year; she'll turn 50. I know when I was 50 I still felt like I was 25 -- hiked the mountain canyons, climbed around on cliffs, biked the trails -- but no more. Age is more than a number, despite what some of us want to believe.

On the other hand, we all age differently, whether due to our genes or life choices (like drinking, smoking, diet, drug use, etc.). I'm probably at least as healthy as my 10-year-junior wife, because she smokes and drinks a bit much. After losing my late wife early, I couldn't face that again too soon, which is probably why I dated younger women after her death.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:34 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I'm 27 and my fiance is 7 years older than I am. Never really thought about the age difference to be completely honest. Well besides the fact that I can call her a cougar

Old 05-25-2015, 11:31 PM

85 posts, read 62,513 times
For the past decade I would have said no, but now I say a big hefty YES.

I am 33 and my partner is 50. I am currently trying to work up the courage to break it off with him because it isn’t working anymore. While he doesn’t behave like a fuddy duddy (not suggesting 50+ is “fuddy duddy” age, but he’s certainly not e.g. out until 2am on Friday nights anymore), there's no denying that we are in completely different stages in life. Recently my eyes have been opened wide to just how incompatible we are (not from any third party but from my own observations), due in part to our big age gap. It’s a hard thing to face.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:39 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissie2010 View Post
Right, for example a teenager girl with a 27 yr old man or a 25 yr old man with a 35 yr old woman.
That depends on the situation. I was 28 and my girlfriend was 17 when we started dating. I'm 32 and she is 21 now and we are very happy, living together for 3 years now next month.

Age matters but maturity matters more I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships