Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 09:32 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,716 times

Advertisements

I was over at a friend's house last night. He's single and trying to find someone so we were on POF. Some of the profiles I saw were shocking to say the least. One girl had a cigarette in her hand for her profile pic. A few more had beers. A couple had their description paragraph laced with profanity like; "let's f*ck some sh*t up," or "most of guys are a$sholes." My absolute favorite was one with the headline; "most guys aren't the right one for me and you're probably not either." I counted about five profiles of women who literally could not string a sentence together.

Look, society is getting more corse, I swear and I'm sure many of you have seen that, but there's a time and a place for it. I don't think a dating profile is one of them. Just like any decent human being wouldn't go into a preschool and start dropping the f-bomb.

Here's another one I liked; "I don't like guys with bad breath. If you have bad breath don't bother messaging me." I wish I could meet her just to say "sorry honey, but I'm sure even you have a little funk going on once in awhile."

Do these women really expect guys to take them seriously? Now on the flip side I've never looked at guys profiles and I'm sure some dudes are complete morons too.

My theory, if you're an adult and don't know proper English and take your profile seriously I can't take you seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 09:34 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
It's POF, what do you expect? It's a trash site.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:38 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Yeah...POF is a bad site....and the guys on there are no better so don't single out the women. OP - Do you really think you're the first to make your observation about bad profiles/bad people?

Old 06-05-2015, 09:43 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,811,300 times
Yea I don't think the people you've mentioned are seriously looking for somebody on those dating sites. Seems like they just created profiles just for the mere fun o fit or to get some attention.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:45 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
POF... Chocked full of low hanging fruit.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:46 AM

20,394 posts, read 14,667,898 times
It is certainly your right to have that opinion.

It's tough to know what to put in these things. Is one supposed to be selling oneself? To whom? Is one supposed to out themselves on any potential negative attributes, thereby taking the power away from anyone who could judge them? That is common. Like most women, I felt obligated to put all of my disclaimers right out there so everyone knew that I'm not perfect. As if anyone is.

Thing is...people is people and we're not all the same. So what you feel is terrible, another guy will overlook. And many guys don't even bother to read the words and just message any female they think is physically attractive in pics. I have my own pet peeves about guys' profiles, but I'm fully aware it's because of what I like and what I don't.

I don't like minimal profiles with no information.

I don't like a complete lack of photos of oneself. I feel that men and women should have a pic of the face and a pic of the whole body (clothed and decent of course! But it's only fair because some people care about weight and height...some guys like curvy women for instance.)

I don't like profiles written with a garbled mess of text-speak, lack of capitalization and punctuation because I'm looking for someone reasonably intelligent. As you say, OP, this does make people look less so. I, however, enjoy profanity when used in "we're all adults here" settings, so it doesn't bother me if it's there. I can be a lady, when I choose to, but my everyday self is far more down to earth and has a snarky and often offensive sense of humor. If a man happened to offend easily I would not want him around.

I don't care for pics of men with guns, excess of camo, holding a fish, or with their children. Frankly, dating profile pics with kids in them bother me, although I can appreciate why people do that. Likewise, duck-face pics of women, or super-cleavage shots...no thanks. I don't like bathroom selfies from anybody. I hate the "look I have ripped abs" shots that men use so much.

Some men sound too aggressive in their profiles. Some sound too docile. Some come across with the "I don't know why but nobody likes me. I'm a nice guy!" This tells me that while you don't know what they are, there are reasons why no one likes you and I likely won't either. It also sounds entitled. Women who come off with "I am who I am and if you don't like it, you can kiss my <anatomical part of choice>." Women who call themselves the b-word. It's one thing to be honest about a situation you're in or something that a prospect might want to know about you, in deciding to contact or not to contact...it's another thing to declare to the world that you're impossible to deal with and they better like it or else!

OLD-land is a bizarre place, to be sure...

Old 06-05-2015, 09:51 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I'm sorry, POF?

About three seconds of internet searching ought to be sufficient to tell you the overall caliber and reputation of the site.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:29 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
It is certainly your right to have that opinion.

It's tough to know what to put in these things. Is one supposed to be selling oneself? To whom? Is one supposed to out themselves on any potential negative attributes, thereby taking the power away from anyone who could judge them? That is common. Like most women, I felt obligated to put all of my disclaimers right out there so everyone knew that I'm not perfect. As if anyone is.

Thing is...people is people and we're not all the same. So what you feel is terrible, another guy will overlook. And many guys don't even bother to read the words and just message any female they think is physically attractive in pics. This is very true I have my own pet peeves about guys' profiles, but I'm fully aware it's because of what I like and what I don't.

I don't like minimal profiles with no information. Me neither

I don't like a complete lack of photos of oneself. I feel that men and women should have a pic of the face and a pic of the whole body, absolutely, (clothed and decent of course! But it's only fair because some people care about weight and height...some guys like curvy women for instance.)

I don't like profiles written with a garbled mess of text-speak, lack of capitalization and punctuation because I'm looking for someone reasonably intelligent. As you say, OP, this does make people look less so. I, however, enjoy profanity when used in "we're all adults here" settings, so it doesn't bother me if it's there. It doesn't bother me if it's there, I have a mouth too, but it shouldn't be in the opening sentence or caption. I can be a lady, when I choose to, but my everyday self is far more down to earth and has a snarky and often offensive sense of humor. If a man happened to offend easily I would not want him around.

I don't care for pics of men with guns, excess of camo, holding a fish, or with their children. Frankly, dating profile pics with kids in them bother me, it bothers me too, children's pics don't belong on dating sites for two reasons, one, we all know that creeps scour those sites and two, children shouldn't be introduced until an actual relationship is established. It has been proven psychologically that is not good to introduce children to multiple dating partners, although I can appreciate why people do that. Likewise, duck-face pics of women, or super-cleavage shots...no thanks. I don't like bathroom selfies from anybody. I hate the "look I have ripped abs" shots that men use so much.

Some men sound too aggressive i.n their profiles. Some sound too docile. Some come across with the "I don't know why but nobody likes me. I'm a nice guy!" This tells me that while you don't know what they are, there are reasons why no one likes you and I likely won't either. It also sounds entitled. Women who come off with "I am who I am and if you don't like it, you can kiss my <anatomical part of choice>." Women who call themselves the b-word. It's one thing to be honest about a situation you're in or something that a prospect might want to know about you, in deciding to contact or not to contact...it's another thing to declare to the world that you're impossible to deal with and they better like it or else! Women do this in and out of cyber space, like the ones that put "B*tch" stickers on their car and then act surprised why they can't find a decent guy and the guys they find use them

OLD-land is a bizarre place, to be sure...
Good post

Old 06-05-2015, 12:38 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
You should date one of them.

J/k

Old 06-05-2015, 12:57 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,148 times
They don't call it "Plenty of Freaks" for no reason. My guess is those kinds of women are attracted to (and attractive to) their male counterparts. Their audience isn't decent guys like you OP, they are "bad girls" looking for "bad boys."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships